Welcome Aboard :: Art Bell Dark Matter Chat at the Fantastic Forum

Fantastic Forum the Original Art Bell's Dark Matter and Coast to Coast AM Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Join its free! Calendar Find other Pirates Frequently Asked Questions Search Home Logout
Fantastic Forum the Original Art Bell's Dark Matter and Coast to Coast AM Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 Fantastic Forum the Original Art Bell's Dark Matter and Coast to Coast AM Forum > ON THE AIR ~ AM/FM/XM RADIO > George Noory/C2C AM Topics/Radio topics > Rollye James Leaving Coast-To-Coast Weekends
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
FM451
Pirate

Post #: 1

Unhappy Rollye James Leaving Coast-To-Coast Weekends

Sorry to report that Rollye James will no longer be a rotating weekend host on Coast to Coast. Here is the anouncement, which I found on her website:

"MONDAY JANUARY 7, 2008 2:50 AM (PT) A flurry of inquires recently over whether I'd continue to host Coast to Coast. No. Last Wednesday was my final appearance. OK, so everyone asks why?! For one thing, I was never comfortable with the show this go round. It never seemed like a good fit to me, given it's current direction on and off the air. But after almost six months of doing it, what it really came down to is not having the time or energy to devote to it. My main thrust is this weekday show, (for which there is a loyal audience-- and I thank every one of you for that). A lot more goes into doing a talk show than the hours you hear. And I realized that, at least at this point in my life, I really enjoy that two day reset weekends bring me, so I can come back Mondays looking forward to talking to you...."

She will be missed.

Old Post 01-08-2008 06:02 PM
FM451 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FM451 Click here to Send FM451 a Private Message Find more posts by FM451 Add FM451 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
starcluster
Pirate

Post #: 2

crap

i really liked her...

Old Post 01-08-2008 07:08 PM
starcluster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for starcluster Click here to Send starcluster a Private Message Visit starcluster's homepage! Find more posts by starcluster Add starcluster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Supernova
Pirate

Post #: 3

I wonder what Rollye means by and I quote from her statement" It never seemed like a good fit to me, given it's current direction on and off the air". Current direction on and off the air? Can someone explain?

Seems like there is some behind the scenes "high strangeness" going on!

Old Post 01-08-2008 07:33 PM
Supernova is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Supernova Click here to Send Supernova a Private Message Find more posts by Supernova Add Supernova to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shirleypal
Pirate

Post #: 4

Maybe Noory doesn't like the fact that she constantly mentions Art and her own website, infact rarely if ever mentions Coast website, just a thought. I am going to miss her, but do listen to her show that airs 10:00 PM Eastern often.

http://www.rollye.net/

Old Post 01-08-2008 08:02 PM
Shirleypal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shirleypal Find more posts by Shirleypal Add Shirleypal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Glop
Pirate

Post #: 5

Re: crap

quote:
Originally posted by starcluster
i really liked her...

Welcome starcluster. I liked listening to her on Coast also. Rollye, you will be missed.

Old Post 01-08-2008 08:35 PM
Glop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Glop Click here to Send Glop a Private Message Find more posts by Glop Add Glop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post #: 6

"It never seemed like a good fit to me, given it's current direction on and off the air."

"off the air"... these three little words are very telling.

Of course I'm speculating and may be reading more into it (probably so), but my intuition tells me she may be protesting against getting stuck with boring doom and gloom guests.

There has been plenty of discussion about the guest hosts getting stuck with awful interviews.

There has also been a lot of chatter (here and elsewhere) about the gloom and doom direction the show has taken. During one of Art's prediction shows he mentioned that gloom and doom sells.

I'm calling BS on that. Sure, Art had some gloom and doom guests, but at least he knew that BALANCE was key to keeping his listeners engaged.

This move toward constant gloom and doom is disturbing and extremely unappealing.

Old Post 01-08-2008 08:47 PM
Shimmering Auro is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shimmering Auro Click here to Send Shimmering Auro a Private Message Find more posts by Shimmering Auro Add Shimmering Auro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ziroc
Pirate

Post #: 7

I think she meant the direction Georgie has taken C2C.. (taking the show from an intelligent talk show to a sub par silliness fest).
(minus Art Bell's shows)

I emailed Rollye and subtly asked what that wording meant.

Last edited by Ziroc on 01-09-2008 at 07:20 AM

Old Post 01-09-2008 07:07 AM
Ziroc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ziroc Click here to Send Ziroc a Private Message Visit Ziroc's homepage! Find more posts by Ziroc Add Ziroc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OMG
Pirate

Post #: 8

I usually like looking through things in a different point of view here. Everyone is thinking that she is talking about George, but I think it's a strong possibility she is talking about Art.

FF was a buzz talking about how Art was sounding like that it would not be out of the question for a return. If he does want to return on the weekends again, where would that leave Rollye? The whole timing of this is strange because just recently it was announced she would do more weekend shows (twice a month)

Ian has always been a C2C type of guy and seems to accept and maybe even expect this sort of shuffling to happen. Rollye might not be as understanding.

Old Post 01-09-2008 11:01 PM
OMG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OMG Click here to Send OMG a Private Message Find more posts by OMG Add OMG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimWest
Pirate

Post #: 9

I agree with your analysis OMG, thats what I thought as well. It will be interesting to see who fills Rollye's two Sunday slots a month starting this weekend.

Rollye also had a severe cold/flu the past few weeks and commented on it on her last C2C shows and you could hear it in her voice. I think that ties in with her stated reason for leaving the weekend C2C gig, that she wants to concentrate on her weekday show and she needs the weekend off to refresh and keep her immune system strong.

Old Post 01-09-2008 11:23 PM
JimWest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JimWest Find more posts by JimWest Add JimWest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dread Wing
Pirate

Post #: 10

I wish there was more doom and gloom! At least that stuff is entertaining. Every time I tune into Snoory I get "real" science, mainstream news and pathetic attempts at humor. Last night I listened to a whole show by him for the first time in a while and while they did talk about the paranormal, the guest was a debunker - which kind of takes the fun out of weird stuff.

Old Post 01-09-2008 11:30 PM
Dread Wing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dread Wing Click here to Send Dread Wing a Private Message Find more posts by Dread Wing Add Dread Wing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Merchant Gal
Pirate

Post #: 11

quote:
Originally posted by OMG
I usually like looking through things in a different point of view here. Everyone is thinking that she is talking about George, but I think it's a strong possibility she is talking about Art.

FF was a buzz talking about how Art was sounding like that it would not be out of the question for a return. If he does want to return on the weekends again, where would that leave Rollye? The whole timing of this is strange because just recently it was announced she would do more weekend shows (twice a month)

Ian has always been a C2C type of guy and seems to accept and maybe even expect this sort of shuffling to happen. Rollye might not be as understanding.

Neither Rollye nor Ian depend on their weekend gigs on C2C to put food on the table ~~~ their OWN shows do that for them. While everyone appreciates some extra money, the pricetag ~~~ working many more hours than they are used to, the concomitant hours of preparation needed for The Extra Gig, and the disruption to their personal and family life ~~~ invokes the Law of Diminishing Returns.

I wonder sometimes how Ian can do C2C on Saturday night and then has to PREACH on Sunday morning ~~~ does he yawn in the pulpit ?? If he did Friday nights instead, he could at least sleep in on Saturdays.

Old Post 01-10-2008 01:35 AM
Merchant Gal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Merchant Gal Click here to Send Merchant Gal a Private Message Find more posts by Merchant Gal Add Merchant Gal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shirleypal
Pirate

Post #: 12

I think Ian liked his early Saturday evening time slot better.

Old Post 01-10-2008 04:11 AM
Shirleypal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shirleypal Find more posts by Shirleypal Add Shirleypal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indomitus
Pirate

Post #: 13

I've been listening to C2C since 1998 and to Rollye's show since 2002.

Although I knew she'd had some connection with C2C in the past, I was surprised to find her guest hosting now.

Rollye is a very bright woman, a sharp, incisive intellect and not at all shy about taking a caller or guest to task for being a loon. It's not easy to put something over on Rollye James, and I'm sure she found it galling to have to sit and passively listen to the drivel proposed by some of the baboons they tossed her way. On C2C the part-time help doesn't get to chew up the guests and make them hang up.

Too bad. Some of those episodes would have been far more compelling if Rollye were given a free hand with those dullards!

Fortunately she can still be heard on her own show. Go Rollye!

Old Post 01-18-2008 08:07 PM
Indomitus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indomitus Click here to Send Indomitus a Private Message Find more posts by Indomitus Add Indomitus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shirleypal
Pirate

Post #: 14

Welcome Indomitus, you are so right about Rollye, I been listening to her for a long time, she makes the weekday host look really bad, BTW for those who don't know her show from the night before streams all day, check it out at, give it a listen.

http://www.rollye.net/
Rollye's show is also on XM165

I don't remember for sure but I think the first time she filled in for Art was in the nineties, she mentioned Art numerous times when she was still hosting, also promoted her own website big time, maybe PremRad wasn't happy with that, she rarely referred to Coast.

Old Post 01-18-2008 08:48 PM
Starry Night
Pirate

Post #: 15

Rollye says a lot when she wrote about C2C no longer being a good fit "given it's current direction on and off the air." She's saying what we sadly have known for some time.

Old Post 01-18-2008 11:56 PM
Starry Night is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Starry Night Click here to Send Starry Night a Private Message Find more posts by Starry Night Add Starry Night to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote