Trillion Dollar Jackpot

For non-partisan discussion ONLY. This policy will be strictly moderated and enforced. For those with eyes wide open, visionaries, lunatics, humorists (definitely!)

Moderator: Super Moderators

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 11-21-2013 06:29 PM

I so hate to be prickly but like Kbot who works on the medical side, I work on the insurance side so need I say more.

You know that nasty Anthem/Blue Cross. They offer such crappy plans that for small groups they offered an early renewal so you could nail down your current plan (crappy as it was with the high deductible and horrendous caps) and beat Obama's unaffordable health care debacle for another year. I have not heard of anyone who did not take that early renewal - that is how crappy those plans are.

By the way many other carriers offered this as well and again I know of no one who has not taken that option.

Talk about an empty suit liar and then the other half of that is those who are so stupid and pathetic they buy right in to it.

I need to sit in a corner with soap in my mouth.:(
A man's character is his fate

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-21-2013 06:52 PM

Diogenes wrote: Bobbi,

You have no clue what you are talking about - absolutely none.

This guy has a plethora of failed accomplishments and shame on you for telling us we need to be understanding - you are the enabler in chief.

Tell the folks who were perfectly happy with their "crap" policies that the President has in actuality done them a huge favor and after all even thou this was his signature piece of legislation he can't help it if he lied to the nation because in fact he knew the only way to sell this was to come across as thou we are trying to insure those 30M uniinsured and the rest of you folks -well you can feel safe because if you like what you have you can keep it.

Not one Republican voted for this piece of crap legislation and your boys and girls never even read the bill and as your esteemed idiot of a Speaker said- well we just have to pass it to know what's in it.

Really Bobbi you do take the cake.

That is uncalled for, everyone can have their opinion. Yours is definitely not more valid than hers. Have a discussion, not a flame war.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 11-21-2013 09:20 PM

Fan,

With all due respect and I mean that sincerely - my opinion is that Bobbi with that absurd drivel in lieu of what millions of innocent folks are going thru, and the headlines in our country is full of nothing else - well it's clear to me in my humble opinion she absolutely does not know of what she speaks.

Frankly I know I sounded a bit cranky but my gosh by comparison I thought it seemed fairly benign and innocuous.

In fact I might suggest Bobbi can take it as she seems to dish it out so I really thought nothing of it.

I did not post with intent of inciting a flame war nor do I think my opinion is more important. I just think my opinion on this topic is correct.

We in this country know because it has been documented that this administration in fact did know this is exactly what would occur. It is documented in writing and in fact this administration also knew this web site was not ready nor was it secure but they were hell bent on proceeding, even at others expense.

That is fact and not opinion.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 11-21-2013 11:38 PM

BenSlain wrote: When do the Obama lied people died bumper stickers come out?
When people die?

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/

showthread.php?threadid=30288&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

The more appropriate bumper sticker would be "Obama lied, people couldn't sign up for insurance"

Obama sucks very badly, but the Bush administrations were an order of magnitude more deadly.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 11-22-2013 12:47 AM

SquidInk wrote: When people die?

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/

showthread.php?threadid=30288&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

The more appropriate bumper sticker would be "Obama lied, people couldn't sign up for insurance"

Obama sucks very badly, but the Bush administrations were an order of magnitude more deadly.

I was speaking of Afghanistan lie. About him getting us out of there.

He lied about that. People continue to die.

You're confusing that lie with the Obamacare lie.

I know it gets confusing. I can't keep up with them all either.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 11-22-2013 01:03 AM

SquidInk wrote: Obama sucks very badly, but the Bush administrations were an order of magnitude more deadly.
And lest we forget any suckage there IS under Obama is all Duyba's fault - though it's funny we've not heard how HE'S to blame for the flailing and ailing ACA rollout.

Too bad eh? Bush was such a great scapegoat. Still, if Obamacare's a bust, how should the President be held responsible for the website OR anything else? Fact is he didn't build it - "SOMEBODY ELSE made that happen."

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 11-22-2013 11:20 AM

Riddick wrote: And lest we forget any suckage there IS under Obama is all Duyba's fault - though it's funny we've not heard how HE'S to blame for the flailing and ailing ACA rollout.

Too bad eh? Bush was such a great scapegoat. Still, if Obamacare's a bust, how should the President be held responsible for the website OR anything else? Fact is he didn't build it - "SOMEBODY ELSE made that happen."

Riddick,

ALWAYS on point - SOMEBODY ELSE built it so how in the heck can we even be angry with this President and the true believers who voted for it.

Also you must include the government shut down of two weeks. Folks who are dilligent and always trying to do their best were precluded from performing.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-22-2013 12:11 PM

Diogenes wrote: I so hate to be prickly but like Kbot who works on the medical side, I work on the insurance side so need I say more.

What I've been seeing - and hearing from colleagues around the country, is that hospitals have been gearing-up for the implementation of Obamacare by jettisoning staff. This actually has been going on for a while now.

Combine the general reduction of staff - either through direct lay-offs, downgrading of staff from fulltime to part-time or per diem (very common) with the realignment of physicians as required in the Accountable Care Act provision of Obamacare, and the net result is actually a loss in a facility's ability to provide care.

This is because Obamacare/ Accountable Care Act requires that PCPs align themselves with one - and ONLY ONE hospital. This may not be what the patient necessarily wants. Maybe their healthcare situation requires them to go to another hospital, which would mean fidinng a new physician.

A growing number of physicians are not accepting new patients. Many refuse to accept Medicaid (the standard Obamacare safety-release valve strategy on the state-level).

Plus, many older providers are retiring early just so that they don't have to go through the administrative crap that is now required with Obamacare.

Just got off a conference call. As part of Obamacare, all hospitals are REQUIRED to upgrade their computer systems under what is called the Meaningful Use requirements. This is part of Obamacare's reliance on electronic medical records which would be used both to submit insurance claims as well as collect data which, combined with the transition to ICD-10 diagnosis code in October 2014, would be submitted to the UN/ WHO.

Did anyone catch that? Your health information is now REQUIRED by Obamacare, to be passed along to the UN/ World Health Organization for statistical analysis.

There is a good side to this, some would argue, since most industrialized countries have used ICD-10 for decades now. This information would, put us on a par with them, and allow for the US to make direct apples-to-apples comparison across a range of issue in healthcare.

But, this is another layer of bureauocracy that, utlimately, will require that the people involved in this be paid. Correct? Another layer of government (taxpayer funded) jobs. Plus there are privacy concerns at issue as well.

So, less care - there's already rationing here in the state-level plans here in Massachusetts. As with any plan, you get what you pay for. So, if the impression is (as Obama promised) that you will receive the world in coverage - it ain't gonna happen, as evidenced by his working model here in Mass.

There'll be less access. Well, the access will be there. There just won't be staff. You'll get in the door - but the number of people available to greet, triage, assess, treat and follow-up, will be lower, so wait times will actually increase, as has been the case. More care will be deliverd by nurse practitioners and physician assistants, but any meaningful work will still require orders by someone with MD or DO after his/ her name, and a patient may need to go through a few office visits with an NP or PA before seeing a physician.

So, millions of new enrollees, and less staff. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that wait times will increase.

Urgent care centers are a growth industry. These are sprouting-up as reimbursements to hospitals decrease (affecting their ability to remain open). But, urgent care centers can only do so much because they are limited (they can't admit because they have no inhouse beds, for example). So, any major issue will require a transfer to an ER. But, reimbursements to urgent care centers is higher than to an ER (go figure.....)

Then there is the issue of consolidation. Where I work, the rumors are rife that we will be sold - again. Fourth tiem now. So, in situations like this, what happens? More lay-offs, new higher-ups and their chosen staff. The staff they repklace will be gone, along with historical knowledge of the facility. New strategies and goals. Maybe complete shutdown of certain services. Seing a lot of this around the country as well.

So, one thing's for sure, 2014 will be interesting for all of us. My hope is that it will all be for the better, but, as the saying goes, when approached by someone saying "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help..." you run as far and as fast as you can.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-22-2013 01:52 PM

kbot -- interesting read.. and its not just where you are either.

We just lost a team on our bowling league. (They were short one person to begin with -- but that is really not the problem.) The husband and wife worked for a small county hospital here in MO. Their hospital was "NOT APPROVED" by ObamaCare. It will be closed completely the end of Dec. Granted it was "only" a small hospital, but did serve mostly people from that county, but also handled car injuries from a nearby major highway. She worked in admitting area (paperwork, etc.) and he was - a nurse. (male nurse) At least they have another job - hospital they are going to work at, BUT its like 75 miles away. They have to sell their home and hope to find some place they can afford to live in a much pricier area.

There are many hospitals in the metro that have closed sections of hospitals in order to 'qualify' for ObamaCare mandates. Several doctors are retiring, and others have joined into larger groups...and this in the middle of lower 48 USA (Metro in two states -MO and KS).

Computer information is open to hackers and as we read in numerous news areas... have already been hacked. NOT GOOD!!!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-22-2013 02:30 PM

I believe it CK. When I worked (back in the 70s) in Omaha, I found out about a few of the smaller community hospitals. I am sure that many will be at risk simply because of their size. We have some in the system that I work in that are comparatively small and they are having issues as well.

As far as hackers and medical information, we get info on this all the time. Data breaches are not all that uncommon in healthcare. Once it is required that all facilities integrate more with electronic medical records the instances of these events will only skyrocket. Hospitals just don't want to nicur all the expense of maintaining these systems......

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 11-23-2013 04:06 PM

There are many jackpots in Afghanistan.

http://theweek.com/article/index/253258 ... fghanistan
After 12 years of war, you would think the war planners and defense contractors have the situation in Afghanistan well in hand. And they do, if the goal is wasteful spending on such a colossal scale that it makes Healthcare.gov look like Amazon.com.

The magnitude of the ongoing fiscal irresponsibility in Afghanistan is almost impossible to measure, and there is little hope that either the White House or Congress will show any interest in listening to those who provide the warm bodies and sweaty dollars for the ongoing conflict. The president, who has bragged that he is "very good at killing people," certainly doesn't want to stop doing the one thing he's been good at of late. And while the Democrats continue running interference for their standard-bearer, Republicans in Congress steadfastly refuse to show spine in overseeing the president for fear that they accidentally end the war. No one wants that — things are going so well!
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Return to “Pirates and Skeptics -P&G, etc”