Trillion Dollar Jackpot

For non-partisan discussion ONLY. This policy will be strictly moderated and enforced. For those with eyes wide open, visionaries, lunatics, humorists (definitely!)

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

Trillion Dollar Jackpot

Post by SquidInk » 06-14-2010 12:10 AM

I'm shocked. What next - gambling in the back room?
WASHINGTON — The United States has discovered nearly
WASHINGTON — The United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, far beyond any previously known reserves and enough to fundamentally alter the Afghan economy and perhaps the Afghan war itself, according to senior American government officials.

The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,” a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and BlackBerrys.

The vast scale of Afghanistan’s mineral wealth was discovered by a small team of Pentagon officials and American geologists. The Afghan government and President Hamid Karzai were recently briefed, American officials said. - source
trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, far beyond any previously known reserves and enough to fundamentally alter the Afghan economy and perhaps the Afghan war itself, according to senior American government officials.

The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,” a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and BlackBerrys.

The vast scale of Afghanistan’s mineral wealth was discovered by a small team of Pentagon officials and American geologists. The Afghan government and President Hamid Karzai were recently briefed, American officials said. - source

Well, it's a great stroke of luck that we've spent the last few years building a ring of military mega-bases in the region. - source Who would have thought we would stumble upon all those resources while "bringin' democracy" to the good folks over in Kabul? What dumb luck, eh?
Last edited by SquidInk on 06-14-2010 12:17 AM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-14-2010 01:00 AM

Stunning...

First oil, now minerals...

Oh, my.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-14-2010 09:12 AM

Right Linnea.

The part I really dislike is this: we (the casual observers, and financiers) have absolutely no idea if anything has been found. This could be some sort of scheme to manipulate the metals/minerals markets in a far flung corner of the globe. For all we know, just releasing this "story" (and it was released by the Pentagon at some point) could have caused a targeted corporation in China to lose a billion dollars. We are so far from the truth at this point it's hardly worth reading these articles.

But the fact is (I think) that we have built several enormous & permanent bases in the region, the opium crop is larger than ever before - more acres planted than all the coca fields in South America, oil is flowing, and now this. Oh, and the CIA has had a very peculiar role in the whole thing since day one.

What have we become?
Last edited by SquidInk on 06-14-2010 10:18 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-14-2010 02:29 PM

Guess it has become a very high stakes game. Will depend on who has the best 'team' of neo-cons, and what part of the world they wish to relate to and conserve as 'home base'.

At some level - I think we have always known this.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 06-20-2010 11:40 AM

The US will not be getting first priority regarding this. President Hamid Karzai thinks Japan is more worthy of mining this minerals.

Japan Has 'Priority' On Rights To Mine Afghanistan Mineral Deposits, Says Hamid Karzai
Afghan President Hamid Karzai said this week that Japan -- not the U.S. -- takes priority over other nations when it comes to mining his country's vast mineral deposits.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/2 ... 18545.html

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 06-20-2010 02:48 PM

Well, Japan hasn't overstayed it's invasion, and isn't pulling the puppet strings... If their leadership is tired of being used, I can't really blame them for wanting to get out from under U.S. control and subjective reasons for staying. After all, we don't seem to be very interested in Bin Laden, anymore, and getting HIM was the primary reason for going into Afghanistan, in the first place.

The Soviets couldn't win there, partly because we were aiding and abetting against their success. And looky what it brought us...

I think it's time to just get out and let Afghanistan look to others for propping up their economy.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 11-20-2013 09:50 PM

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... itely?lite
KABUL – While many Americans have been led to believe the war in Afghanistan will soon be over, a draft of a key U.S.-Afghan security deal obtained by NBC News shows the United States is prepared to maintain military outposts in Afghanistan for many years to come, and pay to support hundreds of thousands of Afghan security forces.

The wide-ranging document, still unsigned by the United States and Afghanistan, has the potential to commit thousands of American troops to Afghanistan and spend billions of U.S. taxpayer dollars.

The document outlines what appears to be the start of a new, open-ended military commitment in Afghanistan in the name of training and continuing to fight al-Qaeda. The war in Afghanistan doesn’t seem to be ending, but renewed under new, scaled-down U.S.-Afghan terms.
“The Parties acknowledge that continued U.S. military operations to defeat al-Qaeda and its affiliates may be appropriate and agree to continue their close cooperation and coordination toward that end,” the draft states.

The 25-page “Security and Defense Cooperation Agreement Between the United States of America and the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan” is a sweeping document, vague in places, highly specific in others, defining everything from the types of future missions U.S. troops would be allowed to conduct in Afghanistan, to the use of radios and the taxation of American soldiers and contractors.
I remain shocked at how this is all unfolding.

Related:

showthread.php?threadid=45239

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 11-21-2013 01:14 AM

This should never be… But over the past couple of days, George W. Bush told Jay Leno he'd like to see us stay there for
YEARS! Now why would any past President say something like that… unless it has to do with getting oil out of Iraq or handling of Pakistan?!

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 11-21-2013 01:49 AM

When do the Obama lied people died bumper stickers come out?

And where's my oil?

The USA and Canada have enough oil to last the next 300 hundred years. For some reason we still continue to by it from people who want us dead.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 11-21-2013 03:08 AM

I don't think President Obama meant to lie… What he said about people being able to keep their policies was basically true; what he didn't know was just how many health insurance companies were making a financial "killing" (literally) by big name companies who were selling policies which were deficient - in other words, they were selling inferior policies and charging rates which weren't worth the premiums people were duped into paying.

Some friends of mine had Anthem Blue Cross PPOs (private, not HMOs), but there were caps on the amounts these policies would pay out.

EXAMPLE: Some of the cheap policies covered some cancers, but not all cancers, and after $500K, the policies wouldn't pay any more.

Well, if anyone you know had one of these cancers and needed radiation and chemo after surgery, by the time any surgery was completed, there was little left under the cap to cover chemo and/or radiation.

Unless these people actually got cancer, they had no idea there was a $500K cap, so in the middle of whichever post-op treatment came first, they were advised, "You only have $100K or $200K left on your policy; you will have to pay all the rest of whatever treatments you need." And since these people now had a "pre-existing condition" they couldn't get insurance through any other insurance healthcare carrier.

I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in 1995. I was put on a regimen of treatment to keep my joints in my fingers and toes from twisting, and that treatment was a low dose every week of chemo.

At the time I was diagnosed, my policy cost me $366 every two months. By the time I was eligible for Medicare coverage 6 years later, my monthly rate was $1568 per month, and it took ALL of my retirement savings to pay the co-pays from the tests I had to endure every 3 months that showed how much the chemo was causing my organs (liver, pancreas, kidneys, bladder, esophagus & stomach) to deteriorate.

By the time I was on my last year of coverage before Medicare kicked in, Blue Cross was covering only 40% and I was paying 60% of the co-payments, PLUS the deductible AND the regular premium, and every 6 months more of my covered prescriptions were being eliminated from my insurance plan. Meanwhile, my esophagus became irritated to the point where I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus (pre-cancer) and Blue Cross deleted - wouldn't pay for the anesthesia I needed to be scoped, 4 times a year, to keep track of its progress, nor for the stomach acid prescription to keep the acid reflux from doing further damage. And I was on the PLATINUM Plan! I had gone through ALL of my retirement savings and was depending upon my partner's retirement money to take up the slack.

These are the tricks of the insurance healthcare providers.

The people who had the basic plans were in far worse financial shape that I was… Every year their current policies were being cancelled and replaced by more expensive policies which didn't cover nearly as much, but were costing up to 50% more.

The people who are paying $266/month are in a heap of financial trouble if they come down with a chronic illness as I did. And they don't know it, because most people don't really read what their policies, and the changes being made every 6 months to their coverages, really mean. Plus, they always raise the deductibles.

Before I was diagnosed with R.A. I had a $500 deductible. By the time I went on Medicare, my policy had a $5000 deductible with a $1500 prescription mandatory which had to be paid by ME before any prescription coverage kicked in. And anything else that went wrong with me - if Blue Cross could tie it in to the R.A. and the R.A. medications - the following policy period things such as acid reflux, prescriptions for it, and upper respiratory problems (relating to the chemo drug) carried less and less coverage under their policy.

The upshot of this is that half a million dollars I had in retirement savings was totally exhausted, 6 months before my Medicare kicked in.

President Obama wasn't told about all these providers doing this kind of crap to insureds, and the policies our tax payments provide for the First Family, Congress & the Senate don't have these problems. If I weren't living with someone who loves me and chipped in from his own retirement funds to supplement what Blue Cross was screwing me out of, I'd be in a state-run nursing home, and they would be taking my entire Social Security and Medicare allotments just to house me until I die.

One of my classmates had a healthcare plan through her employer, so when she came down with skin cancer and needed surgery and chemo, none of the doctors and hospitals in her county would accept her insurance. She had to drive 90 miles one-way, three times a week, for her treatments. And when she reached her cap of $750K, her policy no longer paid a red cent. She had to dip into her own retirement savings to cover the rest of her chemo.

This is why the sub-standard policies were outlawed in 2010 by Congress. They were robbing their insureds blind, and when they needed what they thought they'd have covered, they learned lots of the meds and the treatments didn't cover nearly what they needed to fight their problems.

No one can expect the President to know everything about everything… He's got an entire country to try to keep safe, foreign countries to deal with, and a Pentagon that's been out of control, budget-wise, for more than 3 decades.

Just imagine if you were in his shoes and everyone in this country wants to blame you for everything that goes wrong. He is, after all, just a human being like most of the rest of us. No one knows everything all of the time. All any President can do is handle whatever he can to the best of his ability, and take the blame for everything no one in his staff tells him needs to be fixed. If I were in his shoes, my hair would be totally white, I'd look 15 years older, and be trying not to lose my temper from all the stress I'm under.

You should be giving him credit for all the good things he's already done, and all the good things he's been trying to do, while the GOP controlled Congress won't bring any Bills to the floor just to ruin the legacy of the first Black President who is half white.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-21-2013 09:32 AM

I don't think President Obama meant to lie…

If he didn't mean to lie, then he sure didn't do due diligence in a reasonable form, which then opens the door to ask; "what else could we get burned on?"

The consequences of this healthcare debacle will probably not be known till 2019, as more and more results of the unintended consequences bore into people's lives.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

kbot
Pirate

Re: Trillion Dollar Jackpot

Post by kbot » 11-21-2013 11:45 AM

SquidInk wrote: The vast scale of Afghanistan’s mineral wealth was discovered by a small team of Pentagon officials and American geologists.

Since when did we start sending in geologists as part of a military campaign?

This reminds me....... when was the last time anyone heard about the Carlylse Group - at least, mentioned by name? I seem to remember way back when, when this rollercoaster first staretd, people were yelling about the Carlysle Group, Bush's connection to them and all....... and then nothing. We were told about who they were, where they were going (all the "-stans", apparently) and what they do. Then, nada, nothing........ Looks like someone just struck paydirt.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-21-2013 01:40 PM

The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 11-21-2013 04:55 PM

Bobbi Snow wrote: I don't think President Obama meant to lie… What he said about people being able to keep their policies was basically true; what he didn't know was just how many health insurance companies were making a financial "killing" (literally) by big name companies who were selling policies which were deficient - in other words, they were selling inferior policies and charging rates which weren't worth the premiums people were duped into paying.

Some friends of mine had Anthem Blue Cross PPOs (private, not HMOs), but there were caps on the amounts these policies would pay out.

EXAMPLE: Some of the cheap policies covered some cancers, but not all cancers, and after 0K, the policies wouldn't pay any more.

Well, if anyone you know had one of these cancers and needed radiation and chemo after surgery, by the time any surgery was completed, there was little left under the cap to cover chemo and/or radiation.

Unless these people actually got cancer, they had no idea there was a 0K cap, so in the middle of whichever post-op treatment came first, they were advised, "You only have 0K or 0K left on your policy; you will have to pay all the rest of whatever treatments you need." And since these people now had a "pre-existing condition" they couldn't get insurance through any other insurance healthcare carrier.

I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in 1995. I was put on a regimen of treatment to keep my joints in my fingers and toes from twisting, and that treatment was a low dose every week of chemo.

At the time I was diagnosed, my policy cost me 6 every two months. By the time I was eligible for Medicare coverage 6 years later, my monthly rate was 68 per month, and it took ALL of my retirement savings to pay the co-pays from the tests I had to endure every 3 months that showed how much the chemo was causing my organs (liver, pancreas, kidneys, bladder, esophagus & stomach) to deteriorate.

By the time I was on my last year of coverage before Medicare kicked in, Blue Cross was covering only 40% and I was paying 60% of the co-payments, PLUS the deductible AND the regular premium, and every 6 months more of my covered prescriptions were being eliminated from my insurance plan. Meanwhile, my esophagus became irritated to the point where I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus (pre-cancer) and Blue Cross deleted - wouldn't pay for the anesthesia I needed to be scoped, 4 times a year, to keep track of its progress, nor for the stomach acid prescription to keep the acid reflux from doing further damage. And I was on the PLATINUM Plan! I had gone through ALL of my retirement savings and was depending upon my partner's retirement money to take up the slack.

These are the tricks of the insurance healthcare providers.

The people who had the basic plans were in far worse financial shape that I was… Every year their current policies were being cancelled and replaced by more expensive policies which didn't cover nearly as much, but were costing up to 50% more.

The people who are paying 6/month are in a heap of financial trouble if they come down with a chronic illness as I did. And they don't know it, because most people don't really read what their policies, and the changes being made every 6 months to their coverages, really mean. Plus, they always raise the deductibles.

Before I was diagnosed with R.A. I had a 0 deductible. By the time I went on Medicare, my policy had a 00 deductible with a 00 prescription mandatory which had to be paid by ME before any prescription coverage kicked in. And anything else that went wrong with me - if Blue Cross could tie it in to the R.A. and the R.A. medications - the following policy period things such as acid reflux, prescriptions for it, and upper respiratory problems (relating to the chemo drug) carried less and less coverage under their policy.

The upshot of this is that half a million dollars I had in retirement savings was totally exhausted, 6 months before my Medicare kicked in.

President Obama wasn't told about all these providers doing this kind of crap to insureds, and the policies our tax payments provide for the First Family, Congress & the Senate don't have these problems. If I weren't living with someone who loves me and chipped in from his own retirement funds to supplement what Blue Cross was screwing me out of, I'd be in a state-run nursing home, and they would be taking my entire Social Security and Medicare allotments just to house me until I die.

One of my classmates had a healthcare plan through her employer, so when she came down with skin cancer and needed surgery and chemo, none of the doctors and hospitals in her county would accept her insurance. She had to drive 90 miles one-way, three times a week, for her treatments. And when she reached her cap of 0K, her policy no longer paid a red cent. She had to dip into her own retirement savings to cover the rest of her chemo.

This is why the sub-standard policies were outlawed in 2010 by Congress. They were robbing their insureds blind, and when they needed what they thought they'd have covered, they learned lots of the meds and the treatments didn't cover nearly what they needed to fight their problems.

No one can expect the President to know everything about everything… He's got an entire country to try to keep safe, foreign countries to deal with, and a Pentagon that's been out of control, budget-wise, for more than 3 decades.

Just imagine if you were in his shoes and everyone in this country wants to blame you for everything that goes wrong. He is, after all, just a human being like most of the rest of us. No one knows everything all of the time. All any President can do is handle whatever he can to the best of his ability, and take the blame for everything no one in his staff tells him needs to be fixed. If I were in his shoes, my hair would be totally white, I'd look 15 years older, and be trying not to lose my temper from all the stress I'm under.

You should be giving him credit for all the good things he's already done, and all the good things he's been trying to do, while the GOP controlled Congress won't bring any Bills to the floor just to ruin the legacy of the first Black President who is half white.

Bobbi,

You have no clue what you are talking about - absolutely none.

This guy has a plethora of failed accomplishments and shame on you for telling us we need to be understanding - you are the enabler in chief.

Tell the folks who were perfectly happy with their "crap" policies that the President has in actuality done them a huge favor and after all even thou this was his signature piece of legislation he can't help it if he lied to the nation because in fact he knew the only way to sell this was to come across as thou we are trying to insure those 30M uniinsured and the rest of you folks -well you can feel safe because if you like what you have you can keep it.

Not one Republican voted for this piece of crap legislation and your boys and girls never even read the bill and as your esteemed idiot of a Speaker said- well we just have to pass it to know what's in it.

Really Bobbi you do take the cake.
A man's character is his fate

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 11-21-2013 06:19 PM

Then: "If you like it you can keep your current plan. Period."

Now: "Why would anyone in their right mind want to keep their current crap plan?"

IOW, wise up, people! Those cheap policies were a swindle. Obamacare is all about assuring everyone has better coverage as well as bringing an end to dirty insurance company tricks.

It's all for the greater good! Whether the Prez meant to lie or not isn't the issue, only the result is what's important - Btw, that whole business about keeping your doctor? That may well turn out to be another story too. But don't worry, in the end it's all going to work out for the better. That's a promise!

Trust us, we know what we're doing - Face it folks, ONLY the government knows best.

Return to “Pirates and Skeptics -P&G, etc”