Black Friday & Thanksgiving

For non-partisan discussion ONLY. This policy will be strictly moderated and enforced. For those with eyes wide open, visionaries, lunatics, humorists (definitely!)

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 11-12-2013 05:37 PM

Fan wrote: Is it a US tradition to give gifts on Thanksgiving? It sure ain't here. If not I still don't understand black friday except as a cynical marketing platform.
All holidays in the US have become 'marketing opportunities' with absolute callous indifference to any of the sanctity or sentiment originally embedded in such occasions.

Now, a day off for the Sixpacs is an 'opportunity' for the Gekkos. It is to be exploited without reserve. Full stop.

Consequently, it is my contention that folks' enthusiasm for the 'holidays' tracks up or down in direct relation to the material advantages each occasion offers. I guess I'm not even saying that is good or bad, but in very typical US-American fashion, we seem to be willfully ignorant/complacent when it comes to this startling migration. It's notable because in my mind, it's a much more immediate threat to the fabric of our 'culture' than say, 'terrorism'.

On the other hand, shopping has been invoked as the patriotic inverse of, and ultimate defense against terrorism. Remember? Maybe that's what all the in-store brawling is about - scared people convinced that if they don't shop hard enough, they will be suicide bombered in the food court later.

Actually, I guess it's all going along according to plan.

Last edited by SquidInk on 11-13-2013 01:13 AM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-12-2013 06:10 PM

Fan wrote: Is it a US tradition to give gifts on Thanksgiving? It sure ain't here. If not I still don't understand black friday except as a cynical marketing platform.

No, they are for Christmas. But for some insane reason, people don't start shopping till Thanksgiving, and then think they are getting the BEST deal the day after Thanksgiving. It's beyond my comprehension.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 11-13-2013 02:41 AM

It's Capitalism at it's worst… I'm not against making a decent living, but something's gone terribly wrong when a corporation pays it's seasonal workers as low as possible by-the-hour, with no benefits, and the CEO and others on the highest rungs of the corporate ladder make 100 to 500 times a year what the full time employees get. (Forget the seasonal workers who are desperate for a job!)

I realize this is the shortest shopping time period between Thanksgiving & Christmas, but desecrating what has always been a treasured family day, knowing that the shop-o-holics just CAN'T say no "bargains" (Ha! Ha!), they are willing to do it to increase the bottom line.

Sick! Sick! Sick!!:(
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 11-13-2013 01:01 PM

:rolleyes:
A man's character is his fate

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-06-2013 01:15 PM

People brawling to buy things they don't need with money they don't have. You go, America. :headb2:

Related: showthread.php?threadid=46309&highlight=zombie
Last edited by SquidInk on 12-06-2013 01:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-06-2013 01:24 PM

1. there are no deals on "sale" days, it is all fake, you don't save money.

2. this is made to be crazy on purpose, it is simple to only allow a certain number of people in at any time. As one checks out, you let another in. They want these scenes to make all those who did not show up feel like they missed a huge opportunity. Mob mentality, all those people couldn't be wrong.

3. Umm people, all these stores have online stores with the same deals.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-06-2013 01:42 PM

Fan wrote: 1. there are no deals on "sale" days, it is all fake, you don't save money.

2. this is made to be crazy on purpose, it is simple to only allow a certain number of people in at any time. As one checks out, you let another in. They want these scenes to make all those who did not show up feel like they missed a huge opportunity. Mob mentality, all those people couldn't be wrong.

3. Umm people, all these stores have online stores with the same deals.
Right, but if I shop online, who do I get to punch & beat on? Christmas gifts mean so much more if there is a story behind them...

Daughter: <unwraps gift> OH! Thank you for the wonderful crock pot!

Mom: You don't know the half of it.

Daughter: What? What do you mean, mom?

Mom: I pushed, shoved, and sucker-punched my way from linens all the way to the kitchen department. Just when I saw the crock-pots some ignorant skank grabbed up the exact one you have in your hand. She thought she was just gonna take the one I had *my* eye on! Well, she found out the hard way that nobody steals a crock-pot from my baby girl! I socked the hell out of her, and knocked out her teeth, & bloodied her eyes. We rolled around on the floor gouging each other in the face. Then I took down a few security guards too when they jumped me.

Daughter: Wow! So you fought to get me the last crock-pot? How special!

Mom: Last one? Nah - there was a whole pyramid of 'em.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-06-2013 01:50 PM

I just bought a crockpot ironically (it is ironic I bought it, not that I bought it to be ironic). I did not get a black eye, although I might still because every time I cook in it I can't help but say "this dinner is a crock". It wasn't funny the first time, or the 5th, but it gives me a simple pleasure.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Return to “Pirates and Skeptics -P&G, etc”