Apple to Build Spaceship-like HQ

For non-partisan discussion ONLY. This policy will be strictly moderated and enforced. For those with eyes wide open, visionaries, lunatics, humorists (definitely!)

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

Apple to Build Spaceship-like HQ

Post by SquidInk » 06-11-2011 12:28 PM

Apple (AAPL) loves to develop futuristic, elegant designs -- even for its office buildings.

The company has asked the city of Cupertino, Calif., for approval to build an office complex that looks like it's ready for outer space. And none other than chief executive Steve Jobs himself went to the City Council this week to ask for the green light.

"We do have a shot at building the best office building in the world," Jobs told the council members, according to TechCrunch. "Architecture students will come here to see this."

The four-story building, at least as planned, does seem like an architectural marvel. It won't use a single piece of straight glass; the design calls for curved glass all the way around. The building will have its own energy center, using mostly natural gas and tapping into the grid only for backup power. - source

Is it just me, or is this somewhat outrageous considering...
An investigation into the conditions of Chinese workers has revealed the shocking human cost of producing the must-have Apple iPhones and iPads that are now ubiquitous in the west.

The research, carried out by two NGOs, has revealed disturbing allegations of excessive working hours and draconian workplace rules at two major plants in southern China. It has also uncovered an "anti-suicide" pledge that workers at the two plants have been urged to sign, after a series of employee deaths last year.

The investigation gives a detailed picture of life for the 500,000 workers at the Shenzhen and Chengdu factories owned by Foxconn, which produces millions of Apple products each year. The report accuses Foxconn of treating workers "inhumanely, like machines". - source

Why not retrofit an existing building (recycling), use your engineering prowess to design more efficient energy utilization systems (conservation) within that building, and plough the rest of the savings into improving production methods so the process can be brought out of Chinese manacled slave factories (responsibility, common sense), and back to the North American wage slave factories?

Why? Because Jobs and his fellow tools are more interested in narcissistic pursuits, self-aggrandizing edifices, and assisting the PTB in suppressing freedom at every turn.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Pars ... 0110128384
Last edited by SquidInk on 06-11-2011 12:32 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 06-11-2011 01:15 PM

But they are so shiny! And I just HAVE to get one because..they are so popular and shiny! :hearteyes

I hope you saw the Cupertino City Council meeting video where Jobs made his pitch..sad watching the presiding member fawn all over him and waving his iPod2 around..

They know which side of the bread gets buttered..and who wields the butterknife..

I have no use for Apple..just another closed unix platform to me..but I'd love them to move to my little town and build Jobs' spaceship..
Hell, he could put one of his sweatshops here too.. All the manufacturers that used to be here have moved off shore, mostly to Mexico.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 06-11-2011 01:30 PM

Here is the Jobs pitch at city council meeting:

He didn't have to say a word..they were already sold.

cns
Pirate

Post by cns » 06-11-2011 02:26 PM

Apple isn't the only corporation to use foreign labor. If you are going to open the can SquidInk, then open the whole can. Do not play favorites.

I would imagine that as each country awakens and finally passes labor laws and worker rights acts the companies/corporations will just move to the next slave market. And so on until there are none left.

This bit is on China. But check out AmCham (as they refer to themselves) and see how many countries they work in, including Jordan, where female workers are fighting rampant sexual abuse. Oh, ya, Jordan is also infamous for human trafficking.
http://www.globallabourrights.org/reports?id=0632

Miniscule list of companies in China: Nike, Wal-Mart, Timberland, New Balance and Huffy, Apple, Dell, Ford, General Electric, Microsoft and Google, UPS, AT&T, Intel, Procter & Gamble, Ingersoll Rand, Boeing, Cummins, Estee Lauder, PepsiCo, Paypal, Edwards LifesSciences, Liberty Mutual, Cisco. . . .

Oh and Wal-Mart allows unions in China, but none in the U.S.? Huh?
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/12/busin ... 41929.html

Full copy of the proposed labor act
Behind the Great Wall
Page 3.
'The People’s Republic of China in April released a Draft Labor Contract Law whose proclaimed purpose is to protect workers’ rights and interests.
A GLS analysis of the response by US and other foreign corporations indicates that they are engaged in a concerted campaign to prevent improvement of the notoriously low wages and conditions of Chinese workers by blocking the proposed reforms.
This campaign is being conducted directly by large corporations like General Electric and Procter & Gamble, which have directly addressed Chinese lawmakers.2
This campaign is promoted publicly by three major organizations representing foreign corporations operating in China:
o The American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai represents over 1,300 corporations, including 150 Fortune 500 companies.
o The US-China Business Council represents 250 US companies doing business across all sectors in China.
o The European Union Chamber of Commerce in China represents more than 860 members.
All three have sent the Chinese government extensive attacks on the proposed law. The statement of AmCham in Shanghai runs to 42 pages.3
These organizations have also issued barely veiled threats that foreign companies will leave China if the new legislation is passed. As A mCham comments on the draft legislation put it, the lawmay“reduce employment opportunities for PRC workers”and“negatively impact the PRCs competitiveness and appeal as a destination for foreign investment.”4'

Another interesting link or two

http://web.resource.amchamchina.org/cms ... 236786.pdf

http://www.buyusa.gov/china/en/aa_partners.html
Just two things that money can't buy. . .'n that's true love and home grown tomatoes. . . . . . John Denver (?)

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-11-2011 03:18 PM

Hello cns!

When it comes to corporations and their flawed business model, I never play favorites.

Take a look:

example 1

example 2

example 3

example 4

example 5

example 6

example 7

Ok, so Apple isn't the only dirt-bag corporation on the planet. But they are the only one currently topping the headlines - being praised & stroked for their visionary genius, as they erect a resource consuming monument to themselves in the middle of a huge city.

So today, they get a thread dedicated to them. :D

I found the rest of your post most informative.

Unfortunately, after reviewing your list, I see that I also own a computer/software which was partially sourced (originally) through China. Since it might very well be impossible to buy one that isn't tainted in this way, I suggest folks learn a little about repair, and buy a used machine from a known, local source. That way, even if it has 'made in China' stamped right on it, all of your money stays with the second hand source.

So you see - I even offer solutions!
Last edited by SquidInk on 06-11-2011 03:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

cns
Pirate

Post by cns » 06-11-2011 03:32 PM

Ok, SquidInk. I get your message. You've been there, done that. Today it's Apple's turn because they are in the news. Ok.

Nice of you to offer solutions as well.

It would be very hard for any one of us to not own or use something with parts or components or the whole item partially or fully sourced through China.

They even ship apples over there to be waxed and then ship them back to be sold to us. What kind of wacko business practice is that?

Pax
Just two things that money can't buy. . .'n that's true love and home grown tomatoes. . . . . . John Denver (?)

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-11-2011 03:34 PM

cns wrote:

They even ship apples over there to be waxed and then ship them back to be sold to us. What kind of wacko business practice is that?

Pax

What?? Are you kidding?
Sheesh I was unaware.

Double pax

cns
Pirate

Post by cns » 06-11-2011 09:51 PM

That's what I heard in a Tracy Twyman interview. I haven't researched it. I was surprised.
Now I am wondering if she was talking apples or apples? Maybe it was a humorous metaphor and I misunderstood?

Hmmm I will have to go back and listen to the show again.

But I swear to you she was talking about economics and alchemy and she said that apples are shipped to China to be waxed and then shipped back and sold.

I think I will take a nap now.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-11-2011 10:07 PM

Well I wouldn't be too shocked.

I know we send ore over, and ship steel back, while the American steel industry withers, and the steelworkers sit idle.

It's all about the business model. All the time.

Return to “Pirates and Skeptics -P&G, etc”