School bans Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse-5

For non-partisan discussion ONLY. This policy will be strictly moderated and enforced. For those with eyes wide open, visionaries, lunatics, humorists (definitely!)

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

School bans Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse-5

Post by SquidInk » 08-13-2011 08:47 AM

Of course they did... but it's too late! I'm cool with it, as long as they don't mess with Venus on the Half-Shell.
School bans Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse-5,
so Vonnegut Library gives copies to students for free

Most of us regard Kurt Vonnegut's classic novel Slaughterhouse-Five as a masterpiece of thought-provoking science fiction, but the School Board of Republic High School in Missouri felt differently. They decided to ban the novel.

And in response, the Vonnegut Memorial Library offered to provide a free copy to any of the 150 students who were originally supposed to read it.

[...]

... the high school banned the book for creating "false conceptions of American history and government or that teach principles contrary to Biblical morality and truth."

- source

Ahhhhhhhahahhahahahahaha!

Damn. Were doomed.

Related:

Books we wanted to ban

How about a thousand books for free?

Possibly related:
Oakland --

BART's shut-off of subterranean cell phone service in its downtown San Francisco stations may have prevented a protest Thursday, but it sparked accusations Friday that the action stifled free speech and smacked of the kind of government intrusion employed by Middle East dictators.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1Uv2jTjq1
Last edited by SquidInk on 08-13-2011 09:27 AM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

ShamanistiK
Pirate

Post by ShamanistiK » 08-18-2011 01:12 AM

I had this post before my previous comment. I agree, I want to get a hold of this book.

Once again, thanks for sharing this!
Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Pirates and Skeptics -P&G, etc”