John Cleese explains Political Extremism

For non-partisan discussion ONLY. This policy will be strictly moderated and enforced. For those with eyes wide open, visionaries, lunatics, humorists (definitely!)

Moderator: Super Moderators

Is Political Extremism a good thing?

YES: It helps keep the mob's blood warm by warding off bordom and ennui.
No votes
NO: It focuses far less on issues than it does on base emotions and instincts.
25%
MAYBE: if the majority decides to go that route, it's just democracy in action.
25%
NO OPINION: Is it fair to pass judgment? Let's wait & see where it all takes us.
25%
FEH!: Taking sides is so restricting. Now total Anarchy, THAT'S the way to go-!
25%

Total votes: 4

Riddick
Pirate

John Cleese explains Political Extremism

Post by Riddick » 09-08-2011 01:34 PM

CAUTION: As Cleese takes a 'tongue-in-cheek' look at the topic,
THIS VIDEO is NOT RECOMMENDED for sensitive or easily offended
Political Extremists on the Left or Right. Proceed at your own risk!!

100K WMV | Dialup

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 09-08-2011 01:42 PM

HA HA HA HA HA!!! That's great. I used to know this guy, from Texas, who fits this description to a Tee!!!:bigmouth:
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-08-2011 02:06 PM

I passed - I can take it.

:D
A man's character is his fate

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-08-2011 02:35 PM

John Cleese: extremist.
London Is No Longer an English City and That’s How It Got the Olympics, Says John Cleese

Daily Mail (London), September 2, 2011

Mass immigration has turned London into a city that is ‘no longer English’, John Cleese claims.

The former Monty Python star says he now feels like a foreigner walking through the capital’s streets.

California-based Cleese, 71, moved to the U.S. more than two decades ago, having grown up in Somerset.

The comic was asked what he thought about British culture and the recent London riots during an interview on 7.30, a television show in Australia, where he is currently on a stand-up tour.

He replied: ‘I’m not sure what’s going on in Britain. Or, let me say this—I don’t know what’s going on in London, because London is no longer an English city.

‘That’s how we got the Olympics.

‘They said we were the most cosmopolitan city on Earth. But it doesn’t feel English.

‘I had a Californian friend come over two months ago, walk down the King’s Road and say, “Where are all the English people?”

‘I mean, I love having different cultures around. But when the parent culture kind of dissipates, you’re left thinking, “Well, what’s going on?”’

Far-Right group the English Defence League seized on Cleese’s comments yesterday, posting a link to them on its Twitter page. A spokesman for London mayor Boris Johnson said: ‘If the King’s Road is jam-packed with foreign tourists then that is something we should celebrate.’

And former mayor Ken Livingstone—currently standing for the post again—said: ‘To stay competitive, London must be what New York is to the U.S., a global centre of business, culture and innovation, none of which can be achieved without people of all nations working and living here.’

The comedian was praised by UKIP leader Nigel Farage for articulating ‘what an increasing number of people in London are thinking’.

He added: ‘For him to make these remarks shows a tremendous strength of feeling on this matter.

‘Of course other cultures are welcome, but Mr Cleese is right to point out that it should not be at the expense of the parent culture.’

Of the eight million people who currently live in Greater London, 2.7million residents were born outside the UK, and more than 300 languages are spoken in the city.

Last year Cleese, a Liberal Democrat supporter, lamented the state of modern England, bemoaning a decline in traditional middle-class values, which he says has been replaced by ‘a yob culture’.

He is now preparing to leave the U.S., where he has been living for 21 years, revealing that his decision was partly prompted by a fall in the amount of work he is offered in the States.

The Fawlty Towers star initially moved to California in 1990.

Last year he bought an apartment near Bath so that he could be near to his new girlfriend, jewellery designer Jennifer Wade, and her family when he visited the UK.

It was seen as something of a homecoming for the star, who was born 33 miles away in Weston-super-Mare.

He said he now prefers visiting Bath than London, claiming: ‘It feels more like the England I grew up in.’

However, he says that he won’t be returning to live in Britain permanently, because it would mean paying vast amounts in extra tax on divorce payments to his third wife, Alyce Faye Eichelberger.

He lost more than half his fortune in 2009 when a judge granted Miss Eichelberger £12.5million, as well as £600,000 a year in maintenance payments for seven years.

Instead, he says he is considering buying a home in Switzerland or Monaco.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... mpics.html

Riddick
Pirate

Taking Things to An Extreme: Is Cleese Seriously Out of It?

Post by Riddick » 09-09-2011 08:13 PM

Yeah, that's awfully extreme for Cleese to come to such an obviously far less than thoroughly thought-out conclusion based solely on out-of-kilter observations of the London situation -

Worse yet, hadn't he ought to be able to see how totally ill-suited it is for a high profile figure such as himself to make such an outrageous AND inflammatory public statement? Really, you have to wonder where his head is at...

Being as he's an educated man, shouldn't he KNOW there's more than one side to every story-? What about all the economic and social strife, the class and racial prejudice, and most of all the global warming*? Has he lost his heart AND his soul, or has he just gone completely round the bend; a brain tumor or stroke, at his age senile dementia, perhaps?

Sad. Best to remember him the way he was back in his heyday! Just as it is, sooner the better he moves off to Monoco or Switzerland before he puts his foot in it any further. Ooo, HEY NOW! Speaking of feet, come to think wasn't the goose-step one of his silly walks? Yeah, and what ABOUT his takeoff on Adolf-?

100K WMV | Dialup

Was it just impersonation, or was there more of himself in it than anyone might have suspected at the time? Hmmmm...

Then again, as it's said he's a supporter might it simply BE the case the Liberal Dems didn't see to it he got the memo? ('Course, it could be he never saw it if his ex-wife got their email address as part of the divorce settlement...!)

-----------------
* Source: "London Riots: Warming Up for the Olympics"
at activitypit.ning.com

cybrwurm
Spawn of Epicurus

Post by cybrwurm » 09-12-2011 05:20 PM

wurm scratches the top of his pointy head and say:
wut the heck is "a yob culture" anyway?
"Anyone who thinks that the truth is simple has got another think comming!" -- Grandpa Walton

Return to “Pirates and Skeptics -P&G, etc”