Person of Interest

For non-partisan discussion ONLY. This policy will be strictly moderated and enforced. For those with eyes wide open, visionaries, lunatics, humorists (definitely!)

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

Person of Interest

Post by SquidInk » 09-13-2011 09:54 AM

One of CBS’s most anticipated fall dramas, “Person of Interest,” will take civilian surveillance as its theme, and to market it, the network is tapping into the trend of interactive billboards (see a video of one in use below). In addition, the promotion involves social media — on Facebook, fans who “like” the “Person of Interest” page can create an individual dossier with an alias, hometown, list of known associates and other data, pulling from the person’s real posts and photos on the social-networking website.

While the marketing campaign for “Person of Interest” involves digital and social-media elements, the main driver of interest is still television, according to George Schweitzer, president of the CBS Marketing Group. Between now and the show’s premiere on Sept. 22, the network plans extensive promotion during NFL and college football games on CBS. - source

Oooo! That sounds fun! I'll be tuning in... wait!... why don't they just create a t.v. with the billboard's interactive technology. Then I don't have to go all the way downtown to 'participate'! I'd buy that.

Related:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/09/google ... on-rioter/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGCs7TuH ... r_embedded
Last edited by SquidInk on 09-13-2011 09:56 AM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-31-2012 06:55 PM

I happened to catch a full episode of this a few weeks ago 'cause I was too lazy to change the channel after "Rules of Engagement" - which in turn I was only watching because I was too lazy to change the channel after "The Big Bang Theory" (which IS one of the few shows I'll go out of my way to tune in)...

IMHO as TV shows go 'Person of Interest' looks to be a 'notch above most', and more than halfway decent enough entertainment that watching it again isn't something I'd dread.

Unfortunately, in their infinite wisdom CBS has decided to make its new direct lead-in a new sitcom, "Rob," which is just about as funny as Rob Schneider never was - In my book, he's about as big a person of DIS-interest as you can get!!

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-02-2012 09:02 AM

Love big brother! Big brother loves you! Resistance is futile!

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 02-02-2012 04:39 PM

Fan wrote: Love big brother! Big brother loves you! Resistance is futile!
Big Brother IS watching in 'Person of Interest,' but the plot is based around the crime-stopping activities of an ex-CIA agent who works for a billionaire software genius who, having access to the goverment's survelliance apparatus and data, work in-tandem to protect projected victims of violent wrong-doing OUTSIDE of terriorst plots.

That said, the show doesn't question the fact that we live in a surveillance state. In further fact, in that the "good guys" take matters a step beyond the government's (ostensible) goal of circumventing terrorist events, it suggests far from anything being enherently 'evil' in the associated technology, it's all a matter of how the data derived from it is being used (and by extension, who's using it.)

It could easily be argued as propaganda the show promotes the idea to viewers that, generally-accepted expectations of privacy and notions of nefarious intent by Big Brother aside, and beyond benefits for the "greater good" as may be had from state-sanctioned peeping-tommery, everyday individuals might receive timely "good-guy" intervention on a very personal life-saving basis ("hey, that coulda been ME!").

Of course, converesly it could be argued that if the data suggests that YOU are a "bad guy," you can rightly expect SOMEONE is going to come down on you like a ton of bricks eventually if not sooner...

So much as it's said "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear," then the moral of the story is "don't do anything that you wouldn't do if you knew that everything you do IS being monitored, recorded, collated and analyzed - yet what you DON'T know at any given time is so far as judging whether you're a good or bad person, exactly who will be doing the deciding."

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-02-2012 04:49 PM

As "24" made torture seem OK this sort of show is intended to make the surveillance society OK.

I refuse to watch any of this junk, not even to critique it, it is too insidious.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 02-02-2012 06:25 PM

Fan wrote: As "24" made torture seem OK this sort of show is intended to make the surveillance society OK.

I refuse to watch any of this junk, not even to critique it, it is too insidious.
Insidious propaganda it may be, yet by comparison 'Person of Interest' isn't nearly as bad in that regard IMHO as another recent series exploring the topic of a surveillance society, that being AMC's 're-imaging' of Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner".

The original series was one of the most thought-provoking entertainment programs ever produced... The remake? Not so much, apart from that at least in my case subsequent to watching it and pondering over it for some time, I came to the conclusion McGoohan ABSOLUTELY had to be spinning in his grave.

Just in case anyone who reads this hasn't seen the mini-series revival yet and still intends to, I'll just say that the writers, in an attempt to 'modernize' McGoohan's theme of an individual struggling against an oppressive societal apparatus hell bent on control, utterly and completely removed the heart of his message in the end...

If there's anyone who hasn't seen the ORIGINAL series yet, I highly recommend you seek it out for viewing at the earliest available opportunity and avoid AMC's atrocity completely - that is, unless you ever find yourself IN the market for an insidiously shameless and abominably dreadful monsterization of a true television classic.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 02-02-2012 06:39 PM

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-15-2012 04:47 PM

Turns out some VERY interesting developments have come up heading into "Firewall", the 'Person of Interest' season finale this Thursday - and oddly enough, they DON'T appear to be painting a pretty picture of the 'shadow government' surveillance society -

Last week's show ("No Good Deed") had as its POI an NSA analyst, Peck, who had unknowingly stumbled onto the existence of 'The Machine' (the highly effective yet also highly ILLEGAL monolithic data-crunching system that predicts acts of terror or violence). Soon after, Peck is framed for drugs and loses his job.

By asking questions in an effort to exonerate himself, Peck finds himself a target of an 'Intelligence Support Activity' team ("an obscure army unit that does black ops so dark, technically they don't exist")

After helping Peck avoid assassination, in the season finale Finch and Resse (the show's principle protagonists) have been found out and officially become subjects of a federal manhunt, sanctioned for termination by the handful of people who know about 'The Machine' -

With a system ostensibly built to save lives now being used in an effort to end them, rather than being pro-surveillance propaganda, doesn't that kind of suggest something sinister about the purpose of secretive goings-on in government???

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-15-2012 07:49 PM

I'm really gonna miss Desperate Housewives! :(
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-15-2012 08:29 PM

Raggedyann wrote: I'm really gonna miss Desperate Housewives! :(
Cheer up Raggedyann... Maybe in a few years we'll see a spin-off of both shows called "Desperate Housewives of Interest"! :crazyjump

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-15-2012 08:42 PM

Or "I'm interested in housewives that are desperate".

Not that I'm into that cougar thing....
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-15-2012 10:56 PM

Riddick wrote: Cheer up Raggedyann... Maybe in a few years we'll see a spin-off of both shows called "Desperate Housewives of Interest"! :crazyjump

Hey they were already housewives of interest. The whole lot of them carried out crimes and misdemeanors over their 9 year run. Stabbings, shootings, theft, burying dead people in the bushes. What more could one possibly want? :)
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Return to “Pirates and Skeptics -P&G, etc”