The endless frontier. Mind, matter, consciousness

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

"Will the Universe Be the New Religion?"

Post by Shirleypal » 09-15-2009 12:31 PM

September 14, 2009
Richard Dawkins & Carl Sagan: "Will the Universe Be the New Religion?"

In his classic on the place of planet earth in the universe, Pale Blue Dot, Carl Sagan asked how is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and said "This is better than we thought. The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. Instead they say, 'No. no. no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way."

Carl Sagan dreamed of a world where a new religion that stressed the wonder and awe and magnificence of the Universe as revealed by science "might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths."

In a similar vein, Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins debates physicist Lawrence Krauss ("The Physics of Star Trek") asks and answers some of the big questions about religion and our existence on Earth.

A key focus is the impact of Darwin and "The Origin of the Species" on modern thought. Dawkins is the Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford University. He first came to prominence with his 1976 book The Selfish Gene, which popularized the gene-centered view of evolution and introduced the term meme into the lexicon. In 1982, he made a widely cited contribution to the science of evolution with the theory, presented in his book The Extended Phenotype, that phenotypic effects are not limited to an organism's body but can stretch far into the environment, including into the bodies of other organisms. He has since written several best-selling popular books, and appeared in a number of television and radio programes, concerning evolutionary biology, creationism, and religion including The Selfish Gene, River Out of Eden, and most recently, Unweaving the Rainbow and The God Delusion, a New York Times bestseller.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... gion-.html

rumike
Pirate

Re: "Will the Universe Be the New Religion?"

Post by rumike » 09-15-2009 02:16 PM

It's already my religion. That and music. Maybe music is part of the universe, so it's all one anyway.
Anchors Aweigh!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Re: Re: "Will the Universe Be the New Religion?"

Post by Shirleypal » 09-15-2009 02:28 PM

rumike wrote: It's already my religion. That and music. Maybe music is part of the universe, so it's all one anyway.

Oh yes music is part of the universe and is based on mathematic principles, you bet it is.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 09-15-2009 02:39 PM

We are having a similar discussion in your Hubble Telescope thread. ;)

It's a rising of consciousness...

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 09-15-2009 02:49 PM

Linnea maybe you should merge the threads.:)

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 09-15-2009 02:55 PM

More interesting to let the synchronicity unfold...

It's a spontaneous 'gathering'.
:)

Return to “Quantum Physics/Edge Science”