Moderator: Super Moderators

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

So am I planked yet?

Post by Dixie Butcher » 01-14-2007 02:24 AM

Just checkin'. :)

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 01-14-2007 02:27 AM

Dix - what is your current mission? I'am afraid to ask.

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Re: So am I planked yet?

Post by vigo » 01-14-2007 03:58 AM

Dixie Butcher wrote: Just checkin'. :)

Doubt is hell in the human soul.
-Catherine de Gasparin

:p

thalia
Pirate

Post by thalia » 01-14-2007 12:14 PM

by Dixie Butcher
None of the people deemed "Noory Bashers" has (to my recollection) ever told a Noory supporter to beat it. Or to not speak.
Right. Though the same can't be said of all Noory supporters.
by live365
While on the subject of other forums, I used to belong to one devoted to the discussion of a reality TV show ( , I know). After months of pleasant and entertaining discussion, a *group* of people emerged who'd decided they hated one of the cast members, with a rather impressive passion. Together, they started thread after thread after thread, day after day after day, devoted to "the discussion" of this cast-member, and it wasn't a couple of months before they'd overrun the entire board. People left, not because their "freedom of speech had been violated by the Mods", but because it was so boring and negative no one wanted to be there anymore.
Since Snoory's been on the air for 5 years now, and FF online for longer than that, your comparison, though enlightening about your TV viewing habits, is invalid. The board has not been overrun with negative threads about Noory. If you feel that it has, perhaps that's because you're constantly going to those that do exist to read them through thoroughly. If you don't like them, then why not read the Garden & Galley threads instead? Surely you'd find something in there that's less contentious, something less likely to upset you.
by Jon-Marcus
And I remind you all who say "anyone would be better than George'; At least he never called anyone a "wingnut" on the air for believing there's more to 9/11 than the gov says.
The great one, Art Bell did. Pissed a lot of pirates off at the time. Did everyone just forgive and forget?
Oh well. No one is perfect.
Yes, he did p.o. a lot of people with that. But at least he was being himself and expressing his own opinion. He wasn't trying to curry favour with anyone by pretending to be something that he's not. Unlike Snoory. Honesty, even when it doesn't coincide with one's own views, should always be preferable to its opposite.
by Linnea
... and yes we do like rogue pirates onboard.
Yet some get the impression otherwise. Why would that be?
If posters are disgusted with this forum, or any forum - the best course of action is to not frequent it.
If you're going to say that, then why not just say that if any one member here doesn't like the tone of certain threads, the best course of action is to not frequent them? Why try to restrict the threads themselves? Surely you see that for the censorship it is?
by Linnea
There is a difference in making decisions about a forum, it's format and general direction - and in moderating individual posts.

There needs to be some kind of mission statement, rules of posting, etc.

It can't be anything goes. Would anyone want to read page after page of ranting posts?

There has been a lot of flaming the board here lately, and personal attacks.
I check in on many different forums each week, and am even an admin of one (non C2C). Yes, certain basic rules need to be in place (no hate speech, etc.). But to take it to the limit of trying to even restrict topics of conversation is too much. That's not managing the overall direction of a forum -- that's just being a petty tyrant (in a sweet way, of course ).

One of the things that really concerns me is the editing of people's posts -- as I fully expect that this one will be edited. If you aren't confident enough about your stance and direction to allow dissention to be seen, what kind of leader are you?
by Linnea
There are many diverse opinions here - and I do not understand why posters feel they are going to be 'planked' for expressing an opinion. Those who flame the board and launch personal atttacks on other posters - will be planked. No one is going to be planked for the mere fact of disagreeing with 'me' - for instance.

Art kinda asked us to 'take care of George' - and gave a valid reason. I thought the thing through - and decided to steer clear of the shoals, and trim the sails for the seven seas.
How do you reconcile those statements, Linnea? Do you even see the contradiction in there? No, you probably don't.

From what I've been witnessing, though there've been problems in the past, it's only been since you've started to try to shape this into a site of your liking that things really started to deteriorate. First you swing one way, then the other. Some days you let certain kinds of comments go by, and some days you harangue the "guilty" posters (in the sweetest way, of course). It seems that people here (people apart from the inner circle, that is) don't know from one day to another what can be said and what can't.

It's your site, so if you only want a coffee-klatsch, hen-party atmosphere, you have the right to remake it that way. But for goodness sake, be upfront about it so that people know fully well what to expect.

I am disgusted by the state of this board now. Please cancel my account too. I don't do coffee klatsches.

~~~

Ah, just noticed that not only has the "Take Care of George" thread been closed, but some others as well. Never mind the earlier questions. I see now exactly what kind of petty tyrant you are.:rolleyes:

Just a couple of days ago, I stumbled upon another certain site during a Google search. Reading through that site made clear some statements you've made along the way that seemed rather cryptic to me at the time, me who in my innocence believed you were talking about the NHZ. :lol: I understand now your suspicions, but don't dismiss me as one of those members. I'm not. Just mentioning that in case you thought that I too had an agenda of any sort. I don't.
"But I don’t want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin." (Aldous Huxley)

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 01-14-2007 01:04 PM

Thalia -

Your post here, and that you felt free to post it - makes it's own statement.

Swerdloc
Pirate

Re: So am I planked yet?

Post by Swerdloc » 01-14-2007 01:21 PM

Dixie Butcher wrote: So am I planked yet?

I, for one, sure hope not, Dixie.
Anchors Aweigh

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 01-14-2007 01:25 PM

Don't you just love paying for all this too, Linn?
Heck, you could be making payments on a new car, instead.

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 01-14-2007 02:03 PM

Waverider wrote: Don't you just love paying for all this too, Linn?
Heck, you could be making payments on a new car, instead.

Speaking of payments (thank you for bringing that up Waverider) - Linnea, why did you not answer my private email when I told you I had a friend who could hook you up with a board with all the bells and whistles (including p.m.s that work) - for about $5.00 a month?

It would save a lot of pirates a whole lot of money, and it would save you a lot of grief from having to ask for money. I remember Barbie said awhile back (here in a thread on the FF) that she sent you a hundred bucks. That's just kuh-ray-zee...

btw- I might have posted here sooner, but I didn't know you'd moved the damn thread.

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 01-14-2007 02:05 PM

Linnea wrote: Dix - what is your current mission? I'am afraid to ask.

What part of "bustin' bottles over peoples' heads" do you not understand?

Linnea, I am not, nor have I ever been a genteel intellectual - or a wannabe. I am sick to death of trying to second guess you on what will and will not pass your "muster".

You've let me slide on so much **** it ain't funny, while you've come down on others pretty hard for the same or lesser things and I know why. But you still hover just behind my shoulder threatening me just enough - just enough to make me not go that leeeeeeeeeetle bit too far. You've told me you want me around and others have said you have told them so, too. You want someone "kinda edgy, kinda a loose cannon" but still "warm and fuzzy". I got your warm & fuzzy, darlin, it's about 6 inches below my bellybutton.

From now on, it's a Pirate's life for me. This hasn't been a Pirate Ship for a long time, with your penchant for revisionist history you've been running a Censor Ship for some time now. And as long as you keep me on as a member, from here on out I'm saying what's on my mind. If I feel like bothering with it.

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 01-14-2007 02:14 PM

I did not say ****.

For teresius (if he's still around & this is still up when he is):

Why don't you go ***** your ***** ya old ******?

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 01-14-2007 02:31 PM

Feeling a lil' testee this morning?

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Post by Dixie Butcher » 01-14-2007 02:43 PM

Check. Check. Testes... testes... is this thing on?Can I say ****?

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 01-14-2007 02:56 PM

I am generally out of touch with reality, Dixie, but I would really like to know what you and daboodaddy may have done to fear the plank... I am genuinely interested...

I myself have received absolutely no threats whatsoever from anybody. In late September, in the wake of the passage of the Military Commissions Act of 2006 by the Senate, I caused such a ruckus in The Fantastic Forum that I agreed to exile myself until after the election in order to keep the forum from splitting in half.

On the day after the election, I returned, and to my eternal honor, the very first thing that I did when I returned was call for a jihad aimed at toppling the entire moderatorship of The Fantastic Forum. I was quite serious, and I fully expected to be expelled into the outer darkness immediately as a result, but nobody --- not a single person --- paid the slightest attention to my call for arms and I never received the slightest chastisement for the most plankable act that one could perform.

So I am genuinely confused --- and a little envious. I deeply realize that I am now quite obviously the village idiot of The Fantastic Forum, who is allowed to say and to do whatever he wishes, no matter how outrageous, because everybody knows that he is totally out of his mind. But what --- I wish to know, enviously --- have you and daboodaddy said or done that would cause you to fear being expelled into the outer darkness? Why are you considered to be such a threat and I am considered to be so totally harmless?

I am genuinely confused, Dixie, genuinely...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 01-14-2007 03:24 PM

Joe, Dixie and daboodaddy are not being planked, guess I missed something.........they may think they are for what reason I don't have a clue.

dotcosm
Pirate

Post by dotcosm » 01-14-2007 03:24 PM

joequinn wrote: I am generally out of touch with reality, Dixie, but I would really like to know what you and daboodaddy may have done to fear the plank... I am genuinely interested...

I myself have received absolutely no threats whatsoever from anybody. In late September, in the wake of the passage of the Military Commissions Act of 2006 by the Senate, I caused such a ruckus in The Fantastic Forum that I agreed to exile myself until after the election in order to keep the forum from splitting in half.

On the day after the election, I returned, and to my eternal honor, the very first thing that I did when I returned was call for a jihad aimed at toppling the entire moderatorship of The Fantastic Forum. I was quite serious, and I fully expected to be expelled into the outer darkness immediately as a result, but nobody --- not a single person --- paid the slightest attention to my call for arms and I never received the slightest chastisement for the most plankable act that one could perform.

So I am genuinely confused --- and a little envious. I deeply realize that I am now quite obviously the village idiot of The Fantastic Forum, who is allowed to say and to do whatever he wishes, no matter how outrageous, because everybody knows that he is totally out of his mind. But what --- I wish to know, enviously --- have you and daboodaddy said or done that would cause you to fear being expelled into the outer darkness? Why are you considered to be such a threat and I am considered to be so totally harmless?

I am genuinely confused, Dixie, genuinely...
Oh bless you Joe. I was on the verge of outrage over another matter (albeit FF related), when I read your post and just burst into refreshing laughter.

Joe, you are most certainly *not* the village idiot! You are more like the village shaman, who often behaves, talks and/or looks like the village idiot, but whose purpose and message is sublime and important. :D

And I say that with the utmost respect and fondness.

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”