Registration disabled?

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

Saharaka
Pirate

Registration disabled?

Post by Saharaka » 04-10-2010 11:25 AM

I am on another AB list and found this question posted by one of the members. I checked the registration key here and it does say it is disabled?

"Does anybody know what the deal is with Fantastic Forum? I used to hear
it mentioned on Coast to Coast sometimes, and I went to check it out only
to find out that the registration had been disabled by the administrator.
It's been like this for probably three years now. When I saw that, I
couldn't help but feel like I was being hit with a blast of arrogance:

"We already have enough members, so you aren't welcome."

What's the story? Anybody know?"

Not trying to stir anthing up but thought you would want to know that if new people want to sign up for FF they are being turned away because the registration button is disabled.
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 04-10-2010 02:51 PM

I cannot seem to get on the Art Bell Thread or the ORR thread. What happened?

Captain Fantastic
DREAD PIRATE

Post by Captain Fantastic » 04-10-2010 03:21 PM

A little more arrogance, perhaps? Drunken and rowdy Pirates at the helm?
:D

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 04-10-2010 03:45 PM

It's hard to follow Pirate posts ..... What might appear to be an off the cuff comment makes sense listening to the entire C2C show instead of just reading the thread sometime later. ;)

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 04-10-2010 06:01 PM

cherry wrote: It's hard to follow Pirate posts ..... What might appear to be an off the cuff comment makes sense listening to the entire C2C show instead of just reading the thread sometime later. ;)

huh? :eek:
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 04-10-2010 07:06 PM

I guess I'm missing something.

Is registration really disabled? Or is it just more fun to attack Cherry these days. Which seems to be the popular thing to do.

Can anyone who actually knows what's going on clarify?
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 04-10-2010 07:43 PM

I would like to know as the registeration key is disabled for me as well as the members list. I cannot send private messages. Is this a trust issue??
Creature of the desert

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 04-10-2010 07:56 PM

I know the private messaging function was disabled a long time ago, because some people were abusing it (by sending rude messages to other pirates). As far as registration goes, it's been my observation that Linnea only opens it up from time to time, because if it's always open a lot of spammers and trolls creep in.
Anchors Aweigh

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 04-10-2010 08:36 PM

Thank you so much, Bill. This is the clarification that was asked for!
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 04-10-2010 09:02 PM

Thank you Bill! I didnt realize that.
Creature of the desert

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-11-2010 12:38 AM

Swerdloc wrote: I know the private messaging function was disabled a long time ago, because some people were abusing it (by sending rude messages to other pirates). As far as registration goes, it's been my observation that Linnea only opens it up from time to time, because if it's always open a lot of spammers and trolls creep in.

This is my understanding as well.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Linnea

A good time...

Post by Linnea » 04-11-2010 02:16 PM

... to review the Mission Statement and Rules of Posting of the Fantastic Forum:

http://www.fantasticforum.com/1aa_newsl ... rrrgh.html

The link to the Mission Statement is located on the Main Deck in the upper right of the main web page:

http://www.fantasticforum.com

Many people stayed logged in to the forum, or enter the forum with a direct link and bypass the Main Deck - so miss this section.

It is also a good practice to check out the topics posted in this thread - Ship's Galley Community thread and the FYI/Announcements thread from time to time for information and ongoing concerns.

If you have questions or concerns regarding policy, you can email Administration at:

[email protected]

This email contact address is displayed at the bottom of every forum page.

Any automatic message sent out by the forum concerning registration also contains this contact email address - and we do receive emails from persons who are trying to register when the registration process is otherwise closed for a time.

Until we are able to afford certain customizations to the forum software, we will unfortunately have some inconvenience. We like the 'retro-format' and customized look of the forum, so we are unable to just swap out for the latest upgrade. We do want the better features of the upgrade. So, our eventual solution will involve time, consultations and fees. That's where we are currently.

A hearty thanks to all Pirates for your support of the forum. We will soon begin our eleventh year!

What a Ride it has been, and with your support we hope to continue the journey!

Mysterious and reassuring...

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”