New Forum Format for the Fantastic?

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-19-2010 01:36 AM

megman wrote: I'll give it the once over twice over the next week or so. There is pros/cons with everything so if there is dirt I'll find it.:cool:
megman thats awesome ! :)

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-19-2010 07:41 AM

Of what use is it to change the electrical bulbs in a house to a newer, more energy-conservative model when nobody is ever there? If nobody's home, it doesn't matter how cheaply or brightly the lights burn. If you don't have a cadre of intelligent, educated, experienced, articulate, disciplined and committed posters (who are as rare as hen's teeth on the Internet in the early 21st century), it really doesn't matter WHAT you do to facelift the forum. It's still the same old thing --- and everybody knows it!
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-19-2010 08:12 AM

Yah, well - where have you been? Keep trying, Joe. We do have a cadre of intelligent, educated, experienced, articulate, disciplined and committed posters' - who post sparingly.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-19-2010 08:17 AM

A forum does need a certain critical mass and level of activity to remain viable. New contributors to the community are necessary to maintain that level.

There remains a core group of people who find value in this forum. We would like to find ways to support this group. One reason I believe a new format would be advantageous - is new forum software has SEO packs and google identifiers and other means for attracting new members.

We also have had to close down registration for extended periods of time as our image identifiers which are supposed to provide security from robo-spam registrations have not been doing the job with this older version of vbulletin. That has cost us new members as well.

We need to fall forward...

Keep the faith.

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 05-19-2010 09:09 AM

Oh, heck, it's worth a try. Turn and face the strange. Ch-ch-changes...;)
Anchors Aweigh

Captain Fantastic
DREAD PIRATE

Post by Captain Fantastic » 05-19-2010 09:12 AM

'He who controls the spice, controls the universe!'

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-19-2010 10:04 AM

There are other forum formats that work quite well. Some that do not allow pix in the postings and are text only. Not sure exactly what is desired except for modernization (upgraded). Some of them do have periodic shut downs for maintenance and upgrades.

Will check too and see what they are using.

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 05-19-2010 10:14 AM

In terms of overall format, some forums are designed so that, if you respond to a particular post, your post will appear right beneath it. i.e., if I respond to Linnea's post on Page 1, the new post will appear on Page 1, under her's made two days ago. It makes it nearly impossible to follow a thread. With the current Ship format, threads are "linear"; the newest posts appear at the end of the thread, and if you want to respond directly to someone, you quote them back. Will we be able to keep that?
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

starrmtn001
Jester Mod

Post by starrmtn001 » 05-19-2010 02:32 PM

I am a sentimentalist. But there are times when my sentiment must acquiesce to practicality.

If there is a way to keep the old ship afloat, Fantastic. But if not . . . I say let's give the Old Gal one hell of a send off before she sets sail for that Great Pirate Cyber-Sea ahead. ;)

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-20-2010 02:01 AM

Live365 wrote: In terms of overall format, some forums are designed so that, if you respond to a particular post, your post will appear right beneath it. i.e., if I respond to Linnea's post on Page 1, the new post will appear on Page 1, under her's made two days ago. It makes it nearly impossible to follow a thread. With the current Ship format, threads are "linear"; the newest posts appear at the end of the thread, and if you want to respond directly to someone, you quote them back. Will we be able to keep that?

Yes. That feature is a must have. Actually, ongoing research at this time shows that we may have an opportunity to keep the frontend as it is, and just update some of the data base to keep functionality current with higher MySQL upgrades.

If was of interest to note that the forum did function - most of it anyway - in the MySQL 5 version. What did not work was the search indexing, but a fix for that might only require a 're-write' of some of the data. Of course, doing that might cause other issues. However, we will continue to explore that course of action as well. Many seem to like the 'retro format' we have here.

We might also be able to add our own custom website 'splash page' with some 'stuff' (article feeds, forum topic highlights...), yet keep the forum connected and separate.

Guess I am of the philosophy that sometimes 'more is less'.

Will keep you posted well ahead of any decisions.

:cool:

*note - we are also running dual HD backups of everything on the server, so the chance of a total crash is very remote.

Such a deal - for a big little forum...
;)

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 05-22-2010 10:29 PM

This sort of stuff is really out of my knowledge scale. But as a "forum look" I always thought the set up here was great, very simple and get around it easily. Also like the options to custom the different types of looks you want for the board.

Like always I am sure whatever you do (or don't do), is what you think is best for the FF.

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 05-23-2010 08:57 AM

I am just along for the ride. I will go wherever you goest!
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

cherry
Pirate

Social Media Networking

Post by cherry » 05-24-2010 03:28 PM

Monday, May 24, 2010

Coast to Coast AM with George Noory
Internet Privacy

Internet security and marketing expert, Bill Waggoner will discuss how Facebook owns your personal data and why the ACLU is suing them, as well as how restriction of Internet services could be used as a control weapon.
This sounds like an interesting show tonight regarding Facebook.
Last edited by cherry on 05-24-2010 03:47 PM, edited 1 time in total.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 05-26-2010 03:32 PM

Just a heads up that I have not forgotten about this and have been doing some homework.

It looks like this might be a good format to try as long as the Hooks System is not used.

It is fairly new and will be susceptible to bugs/glitches more so than something that has been road-tested a little more.

As you say, you have dual HD back-ups so data is safe. I'd say give it a whirl but I will still keep looking.
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”