General Topics Thread - Input requested

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 08-18-2010 10:10 AM

SquidInk wrote: I loved the concept of "blogging the Armageddon" - as a sort of humorous, eye rolling way of laughing at ourselves, while simultaneously documenting the truly f'ed up situation we find ourselves in.

I posted over SquidInk, but if I hadn't, I would have included this!
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-18-2010 12:12 PM

Live365 wrote: Everyone already said what I wanted to say! Yes, I would say the Ship has picked up in recent months, not slowed down. Yes, I think we're all feeling the malaise of the state of the world. What's there to fight about anymore? The whole thing is effed-up. Yes, most threads have triple the number of views to posts, so even though not talking, people are still "here". And yes, threads of a *different* nature are becoming increasingly popular.

It is no longer an Art Bell/C2C forum; that's established. But reading through the thread, I'm beginning to wonder if the Ship is entering a new iteration, away from the political heat of circa 2005 to 2008, and more toward...as yet being determined. In fact, we could be in a very exciting time without even realizing it! The dawn of a new era.........

I like your way of looking at this, Live. All things worth their salt to begin with evolve/change. It is a process.

Case in point: I frequent another forum that was first established as a 'Lost' forum. It was devoted entirely to fans of the television show 'Lost' (much as this forum was devoted to fans of Art Bell). They even used to do threads during the 'Lost' broadcasts that were used much like out ORR. But obviously, knowing that the show was going to end in 2010 presented a problem for the community there (just as Art Bell retiring presented this community with a problem). So, they changed.

They are still primarily an entertainment forum, but they have sub-forums (or at least a thread) for most popular television shows (if members show enough interest, it gets its own sub-forum), as well as movies, music, etc. Much as we have, they also developed areas for wide-ranging discussions on all sorts of topics, from gardening to health to technology to sports and general chit-chat. They even have an area for paranormal topics now (and you might be surprised how much activity it gets!). The one thing we do that they don't is discuss politics and religion. But they did address that need by establishing a sister forum specifically for members who wish to discuss those topics.

I mention all of this just to point out that we are not alone in working to survive the loss of the initial reason for our forum. I think we've done a good job of it!

I also agree with Linda and others who have posted similar thoughts here. I am honestly just absolutely burned-out on trying to talk about politics. I am sick of the arguing and ranting, and just feel it serves no constructive purpose in my life at this point. Being aware is one thing, but continuing to argue, for me, is just not something I'm interested in doing. I would rather spend my time seeking commonalities rather than pointing out differences, because it is there, I feel, that we will find our greatest tools and greatest potential for working together to create changes in our individual lives that will overflow into the greater circle.

And heck, we've even added a few new members lately who are contributing. There is life here! WE are still a community. And that is important to me. I think we are evolving and will continue to evolve. As some have said, there is an ebb and flow. But that, I think, is normal.

There are, perhaps, things we could do to encourage new members, to help the community we have feel more inclusive as well as cohesive, but I really don't think we are in a state of decline.
Last edited by Joolz on 08-18-2010 12:25 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-18-2010 12:20 PM

SquidInk wrote: I loved the concept of "blogging the Armageddon" - as a sort of humorous, eye rolling way of laughing at ourselves, while simultaneously documenting the truly f'ed up situation we find ourselves in.

I guess it would need more "positive vibe" to have mass appeal, but that is essentially what the entire internet is quickly becoming - a real time compendium of a dissent into chaos; a multimedia diary of a human culture run amok.

The places that find a way to make that interesting (in unexpected ways) will thrive.

Ahh... I don't even know what that means, I'm a blithering idiot...

I can see where you're coming from. "Blogging the Armageddon" has a certain ring to it. And if it was intended, as you say, in a humorous, eye-rolling sort of way, it could work. I don't, however, see it as a basis for the entire forum. We are, I feel, much more diverse than such a concept would suggest. It presupposes a belief that we are facing some sort of Armageddon, and there are many (here and elsewhere) who just don't share that feeling (myself included). That said, I can see the humor of it. ;) (ETA: In this, as with all things, we should remember the ebb and flow factor. After the dark comes the dawn. After the Dark Ages came the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. Etc. Etc. Balance. It is all about balance in the end. The pendulum swings...)
Last edited by Joolz on 08-18-2010 12:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 08-18-2010 01:05 PM

SUPERB post, Joolz! And your mention about the Lost forum also got me to thinking about a couple of entertainment forums I go to, one devoted to a certain "sub-group" representation in the media, and the other to soap operas. The first forum has over 100,000 members, the second closer to 10,000. Yet -- between us -- 92% of the posts in the first forum come from young (age 20 to 30) people saying things like "I think she hawt" or "I like her but I don't know if she likes me". Over on the soap opera forum, they basically discuss the characters as if they are real people, which gets awfully tedious awfully fast. All told, now that I'm thinking about this, I'd rather read four or five provoking, thoughtul posts a day (including HB3 one-liners!!) from people I know have a significantly high level of intelligence and social awareness, than 300 posts a day about pretty much nothing. The ebb and flow of it all, I guess I'm saying, is relative.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-18-2010 03:49 PM

Oh, I hear that, Live! LOL (I tended not to read most of their ORR-like threads that took place as the episodes aired because it was mostly that sort of stuff.) In defense of the 'Lost' forum, however, I will say that, although they get their share of the "she hawt" posts, for the most part, the posters there tend to be intelligent and able to express themselves well -- which was why I thought to use it as a comparison to FF in the first place. Such was the overall nature of 'Lost' fans (as well as Art Bell fans) in general, I think. There were even a few PhD's who posted there, physicists, engineers, pilots, etc. -- and there was a lot of theorizing going on, with discussions about various topics brought up by the show involving philosophy, literature, physics, and so on. It was (and still is) an interesting mix of people -- much as we have here. Right now, I'm reading (and posting occasionally) in their True Blood sub-forum (since no one here wants to talk about it! LOL), and it is a cut above what I find at the HBO boards and elsewhere. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother as it would just be a waste of my time. ;)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 08-20-2010 07:54 AM

I think the loss of C2C listenership hurt a bit. The vastness of Art's style brought such a wide range of personality and listenership that also came to this board to talk about C2C, it's topics but also off topics. Even in the early Noory days there was still hope, but as time gone by it became obvious that Noory was pushing a more generic talk radio show and pandering to that group which people were turned off in the first place and why they came to enjoy Art and be on this board. At first I tried to fight for keeping C2C a main focus of this board, but after some time even I must admit that is difficult to do with Noory on top.

But I am not complaining too much, I like the discussions we have on here, the only complain is I'd like to hear more for some, especially those who were posting here regularly not so long ago.

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 08-20-2010 10:34 PM

When the foundation of this Forum was kicked off the C2C board (ah, the good ol' days :D ) for our unflagging honesty, Linnea & RC generously began the FF so we could speak freely about seagulls and other "foul" impostors ;); reminisce about Art's great backlog of shows and guests; and publicly beg him to come back, knowing he was "listening." Threads were filled with meaningful discussions about the paranormal, UFOs, and high-end spiritual matters {{{Rapa}}}*, etc. We all seemed to be riding in the same raft on a magical stream of cosmic consciousness. From curious lurkers to John Lear, all were drawn to the Forum like aliens to cornfields.

But everything shifted after Sept. 11, 2001. And so did we. Art Bell or not.

For me personally, life today is a total disconnect, but I don't think it's just "me." I see it everywhere. And if Internet forums are microcosms of twenty-first century communities, then we're seeing clear proof of it here.

If we tried turning inward vs. outward in our thinking and posts, maybe we could revive what brought us together in the first place. But the world is too much with us, I fear.

And once again, Rapa speaks to us with a twinkle in her eye from that Wonderful Place where she still watches over us:

* TRANSFORMATION" I believe there are many individuals who are transcending denominational beliefs & concepts about things in exchange for the experience of LIFE itself. As we release all struggle & let go to THAT which created us, we find that what we have been seeking is an already existing potential; and that we can only know our individual and collective purpose by expressing it. In expressing our qualities of our true selves moment by moment we give evidence of the presence of the ONE SPIRIT. All discord & dis-ease comes from fighting against the ever flowing Cosmic Force which creates and moves all things. NOW is the time of transformation, for man's mind made world is buckling under by it's irrational & unsound foundations. The role that man plays on this planet determines it's future. This awakening can happen by the few who are attuned to the Cosmic Force, that opens the reality of life's design & purpose.

I LOVE YOU ALL!!

From an FF thread>>

And Joolz, I have seen how hard you are trying to stir true conversation and interest. We all need to engage and build upon those efforts.
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 08-20-2010 11:37 PM

Even the churches are falling off in attendance since the economy went South. Many of them are closing their doors for financial reasons. :(

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 08-24-2010 11:29 PM

The truth is I am lazy. I do not participate nearly as much as I should on this forum in exchange for the joy it has brought me over the years. I have often been content to read YOUR profound thoughts, musings, opinions, jokes, and personal accounts relative to any subject on the forum rather than to record my own. ""Tis better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"! ;) I have always been superbly impressed by the intellect and heart of the people who post here. So, what I take away from this forum is a sense of community that is priceless. I do not know any of you. Unfortuately, if I passed you on the street I would not know you but because of you I would nod and smile because it is a small world. I sincerely appreciate you all and Linnea and RC who keep the forum alive.
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 08-25-2010 12:26 PM

"In fact, we could be in a very exciting time without even realizing it! The dawn of a new era........." - Live365-

I believe that is true.

'Let's hang on to what we got.'

The focus has changed.

The mission not yet completed.

The journey continues.

Let it be'

And you will see.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 08-26-2010 10:49 PM

I don't know if I've seen a pick up, or drop off in posting over the past several months - I am of the opinion that things are fairly stable right now. A small, core group of people posting their thoughts on a semi-regular basis. Given the size of this group, their will naturally be fluctuations in posting levels.

As for the forum itself, as Coast To Coast AM has declined, so has the forum. I think participation in the forum would have dropped precipitously back when Art last retired - but that drop was postponed due to the last election season. When you look at the other areas of the forum, the drop began in earnest at that time - it was P&G that kept the place moving along at a steady clip - threads about entertainment also expanded quite a bit it seemed (an area worth pursuing in my opinion).

That said, I am of the opinion that this forum has largely morphed in to a P&G type of discussion forum, which should be embraced and built upon if the forum is ever to expand again. As for the animal causes, and posting along those lines, I think it's wonderful - but also think it has been attempted several times over the past year or so with little success. I recall Shirley putting up tons of threads on these types of issues, as well as topics such as space science, archeology, etc...... There were very few bites as far as conversation went. Hopefully the forum can get things moving in that area, just a bit skeptical unfortunately that the forum will pick up over the long term in that regard.

I think the bigger question is why P&G seems more quiet, and honestly, the most active members in this forum have traditionally been progressives (which is not a complaint this go round, just an observation for the conversation, LoL). It makes sense that prior to, and immediately after the election they would be extremely active - it also makes sense that they are more subdued right now given the political realities out there. Some of the comments in this thread sort of underscore that possibility.

Personally, I would explore the continued expansion of the entertainment threads. Part of what brought people together on this ship was listening together to Art Bell. OK, that doesn't exist as much these days, so keep looking at programs multiple members do tune in to and try to build upon that perhaps. The music threads traditionally did well, especially when people were posting "live" and it might be worth exploring a specific night for that type of thing when people can gather for almost "live" chat. Further, a book club, or perhaps a movie club could be worthwhile. Their might even be an opportunity to bring in some new members that way, especially viewers of specific tv programs? Or listeners to other shows? I listen to the John Batchelor show every night, and if there were a forum out there for his program I'd be a part of it (btw, if you haven't heard his show, it's worth it. Intelligent politics - mostly without the BS - and a very heavy focus on world news that you just can't find in the USA).
Last edited by Kaztronic on 08-26-2010 10:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 08-27-2010 02:33 AM

I think the animal causes threads are quite productive, I haven't seen any from Shirley in well over a year so her posting "tons of threads" I just haven't seen them, nor has anyone else. Last post from her in Animal rights was 9.27.09 almost a year ago, an Ancient Archeology was on 11.16.09. I certainly would respond as would the others in this thread that have said that this topics interests them. So if she has an opinion perhaps she can speak for herself.

Regarding politics I think most of those that post here can tell when people are sincere or playing games. When I see someone is playing games I just don't waste my time and I am sure others would agree with me. I am not going to waste my time discussing my feelings to have someone make a snarky smart ass comment. And it happens here ALL the time, If those that are hearing a discussion can't be bothered with actually reading what has been posted by others then why waste the time discussing. I think that is why there is less participation
Last edited by SETIsLady on 08-27-2010 02:54 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 08-27-2010 04:29 AM

Then whatever, it was a year ago - my point remains the same.

I speak for myself, based upon my own observations - this isn't a personal feelings / ugliness type thread, and my post wasn't intended as such (let's not go in that direction, eh?). Shirley was/is a (very important) member of this forum who used to post on those types of topics - and likely stopped because those threads were just not getting any bites anymore.

I'm done with this thread, you don't need my ideas or thoughts on this topic (if they're even my own).

Oh, and btw, I'll point out that you're so concerned I might be speaking for someone else that you failed to notice that you're speaking on behalf of "others" in this thread yourself :p
Last edited by Kaztronic on 08-27-2010 04:38 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-27-2010 04:52 AM

SETIsLady wrote: Regarding politics I think most of those that post here can tell when people are sincere or playing games. When I see someone is playing games I just don't waste my time and I am sure others would agree with me. I am not going to waste my time discussing my feelings to have someone make a snarky smart ass comment. And it happens here ALL the time, If those that are hearing a discussion can't be bothered with actually reading what has been posted by others then why waste the time discussing. I think that is why there is less participation

Well, count me as one of the others who agrees with this.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-27-2010 04:54 AM

As a new member can I offer a suggestion? How about starting a section concerning privacy-related issues?

I've posted a couple of threads that have received some, although relatively modest, replies.

Squid (I believe) just posted a thread concerning roving scanners which has received some reviews and replies.

Race - I think - appears to be the legal go-to person here and may be able to offer some perspective.

On a C2C level Dr Katherine Albrecht has been a recuring guest on the shows over the past few years, and fans of the show might know her and her involvement in privacy issues.

There is the governemnt aspect as well as the impact which the explosion of this technology will have for us, our kids and grandkids. Whether we are talking about using store "loyalty cards", to the emergence of an electronic medical record, to the move towards a cashless society - with a greater reliance on debit and/ or credit cards, each of these aspects (and more) have privacy cocnerns attached to them.

For instance, a series of reports came out over the past year regarding the "new improved" credit cards, which will contain an imbedded chip. Dr Albrecht has a link on her website to a Youtube video showing an individual who was able, (using a laptop, as well as a number of easily bought items from any Radio Shack) to download information on credit cards from passers-by, as they just walked by his car. The notion that one "needs to" press one of these cards to a reader is false, as has been demonstrated.

In predmoninately European countries, - I am sure that we have all heard the stories - regarding kids having chips inserted in their arms, linked to spending accounts in order to get into various clubs. Instead of paying cash, the money for food and drinks is automatically deducted from a bank account.

Now we have full body scanners, mobile scanners, high schools in Connecticut wanting to put chips in bracelets on kids, GPS chips in cars and cell phones and companies data-mining information collected by stores.

The potential for abuse exists in this area, and the marketing or other misuse of this data should be troubling to forum members as it represents a use of their private information without consent, and if lost or stolen, could cause irreparable harm to individuals.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”