Don't know/care
5%

Total votes: 19

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

relax...

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-20-2011 11:47 PM

Dude111 wrote: I would say NO!!!!!!

THIS SITE HAS BEEN USING THIS SOFTWARE SINCE 2003 AND LUCKILY HASNT HAD ANY PROBLEMS...

Why upgrade it WHEN THERE IS NO REASON TO DO SO??

I come here for the basicness/niceness of vb2.3 -- Why does this site have to become another overbloated/slow piece of garbage??? (Ridden with facebook,etc)

I will not look forward to being here anymore to be quite frank FAN if you ditch this software...

This is 1000% better than the crap out now,PLEASE DONT RUIN THIS PLACE!!!!!!! (This is the reason i came here to begin with and made such a stink to get on..... PLEASE DONT TAKE IT AWAY)

I agree with the the facebook widget comment but that's about as far as I go. I'm not sure how a fresh, clean install of new software would be slower than this old, patches-on-patches bundle of scripts and balin' wire.

Unless one is on dialup using an old and slow laptop or a P3 desktop, slow running forums are caused by the servers they are on more than the app running them.

And I'd be surprised if this look, a vB classic default skin since forever, didn't come as default or a free option.

Fan has said he wants to keep it as much the same as he could. It would be foolish not to, really, since he essentially bought the Fantastic Forum brand, which would also include the look and feel of the board.

But I bet he'll be by in a few to re-reassure you again some more. :)
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-20-2011 11:49 PM

Well, now I guess we know what you edited, dude. ;)

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 05-20-2011 11:54 PM

Hmmmm i didnt edit anything buddy,i dunno........

I wanna direct everyone to this reply from our beloved and when you read this,PLEASE REMEMBER WHY WE LOVE IT HERE SO MUCH!!

The speed cant be beat,the look is fabulous compared to most sites now and it just has a warm/loving feeling.....

showthread.php?threadid=44580#post653783

I am sorry Dale,i wont say anymore :(

SvladCjelli

Post by SvladCjelli » 05-20-2011 11:57 PM

Dude111 wrote: I was hoping this wouldnt be an issue but i dunno now.....

I guess me,Linnea and RC are amoung the very few who realise what GOOD is do whatever we can to stay with it!!

God bless you Linnea,im missing you more than you know :(

it is just a vote, and I still haven't done anything. I don't move quickly on those things anyways, I am a busy guy and that upgrade is a major major undertaking. I would set up staging servers at home and attempt different upgrades, making sure they are stable before I ever put it live. I intend to keep the FF lean and mean. There are no ads here (which is what you should be worrying about), and FB like buttons are VERY unlikely. Again, if you don't want, press no.

The FF is not the FF because it runs on VB 2.3. I think that cheapens the idea of what the FF is.
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't following you...

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 05-21-2011 12:00 AM

I just like the look better thats all :)

This is a basic site and there is no need for it to be more than that :)

Im sorry if i made anyone mad.....

SvladCjelli

Post by SvladCjelli » 05-21-2011 12:08 AM

Dude111 wrote: I just like the look better thats all :)

This is a basic site and there is no need for it to be more than that :)

Im sorry if i made anyone mad.....

dude, and I say that literally, I asked for everyone's opinion. I know that passions run high here and we all want what is best for the FF in the long run. Staying on VB 2.3 is an option. So is upgrading, so is doing both... I just want opinions, none are wrong.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 05-21-2011 01:54 AM

I vote to not upgrade the forum at this time.

Why? Because I am resistant to change, and because I like the forum just as it is now. I like the look of it, how it operates, and that it is a technological relic.

I also feel as if this forum has already dealt with a significant amount of changes over the past month. I am not at all certain that further changes are beneficial (at least at this moment in time with so much in flux. I imagine that as time goes on, minor changes to the forum will be easier to digest).

That said, there have been a few occasions over the past couple of years when I can recall Linnea suggesting that she might upgrade the forum as well - it never happened, but it was discussed. I imagine it was a scenario where the scales were being weighed with technical reasons for upgrading on one side vs. familiarity, nostalgia, and comfort with the current set-up on the other side.

I fall on the nostalgic side of the scale personally - but am content to come along for the ride regardless.

Fan, this place has been through much tumult and change recently. Your approach to seeking consensus prior to making changes is much appreciated.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 05-21-2011 01:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 05-21-2011 05:39 AM

Yes that is very much appreaciated :)

CoastZone
Pirate

Post by CoastZone » 05-21-2011 07:41 AM

Dude111 wrote: I was hoping this wouldnt be an issue but i dunno now.....

I guess me,Linnea and RC are among the very few who realize what GOOD is do whatever we can to stay with it!!

God bless you Linnea,im missing you more than you know :(

One cannot stay in single subjective mind frame or state of being. Is Coast to Coast not about furthering yourself and becoming better than you currently are?

In my opinion, the Fantastic Forum has been stagnant for many years when compared to other competitive communities. For the first of all Coast to Coast fan-forums, that should not be the case...but it is.

I say this. Fan invested in the FF and if he notices the shell of the forum needs renovating then it is best. The content will remain the same and the content is what makes the FF, the FF. Not how it looks.

Trust me, the Fantastic Forum could look much better with today's technology and skinning developments.
Not all forum software are bloated. As a matter of fact the newest and greatest forum software to date is not bloated at all. It is a lean, mean, forum machine..HAHA

I understand the anxiety about change. A lot of people fear change. But once change happens, more times than not, those who were unsure about change or hated the idea, became overwhelmingly supportive once they had the opportunity to embrace such change face on and see what it implemented, took away, and what remained the same.

Granted, not all change is good. However I can assure you that change will ultimately be required if the Fantastic Forum were to compete against other Coast forums. Compete shouldn't even be the word used. But due to years of being neglected in terms of software and a couple of other areas, the Fantastic Forum has lost its once dominant place in the Coast legacy. That can be changed.

You are all an important part of the new era of Fantastic Forum. One member doesn't make up the forum. A collective union makes each individual forum what it is or is not. A forum cannot survive without that unity of like-minded individuals.

I ask all, if Fan decides to move forward, that you be willing to give any change he brings forth an appropriate amount of time before deciding whether or not you like the update.

Being an administrator is never an easy chore. Especially for those of us who do everything behind the scenes working with the server with no control panel. Yes, there are a few of us who enjoy working with pure SSH.

Fan is an outstanding guy with an even more outstanding track record.

I will end this with one of my favorite words.

May God Bless.
Last edited by CoastZone on 05-21-2011 08:51 AM, edited 1 time in total.

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 05-21-2011 08:48 AM

Thanks, CoastZone! :o

CoastZone
Pirate

Post by CoastZone » 05-21-2011 08:56 AM

I want you to know that I wasn't trying to come across brash. If I did, and I do have that tendency then I humbly apologize.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-21-2011 10:21 AM

Dude111 wrote: Hmmmm i didnt edit anything buddy,i dunno........

I wanna direct everyone to this reply from our beloved and when you read this,PLEASE REMEMBER WHY WE LOVE IT HERE SO MUCH!!

The speed cant be beat,the look is fabulous compared to most sites now and it just has a warm/loving feeling.....

showthread.php?threadid=44580#post653783

I am sorry Dale,i wont say anymore :(

Please don't stop and frown on my part. This board needs more members/posters like you - and has them someplace.

But I need to apologize for the edit comment - I missed your other post. Not sure how but I thought I was commenting on your latest entry. Anyway, I'm not picking on you - just making my point. Please - post on.

--I just happily noticed the new scalable post window I'm typing in - NICE!
And I'm sure there's other fixes I've missed..
Thanks Fan!

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-21-2011 10:40 AM

cherry wrote: Thanks, CoastZone! :o

Let me dab that koolaid from your cheek..it stains.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 05-22-2011 01:26 AM

Dale O Sea wrote: Please don't stop and frown on my part. This board needs more members/posters like you - and has them someplace.
Im sorry Dale,i thought people were getting mad and sometimes i speak QUITE LOUDLY especially when its something thats really important to me......
CoastZone wrote: Trust me, the Fantastic Forum could look much better with today's technology and skinning developments.
Thats where i totally disagree....

FF could not look ANY BETTER THAN IT DOES NOW as all newer stuff looks worse..... (In my opinion)

Now i like some newer SW but its not as good as this!! (Not at all as good or fast,appearance,etc)

If you dont like it here CZ you dont have to be here buddy,why try to convince fan to take this site off of this beautiful piece of software that cant be beat?

Why must everything be updated?? (When most likely it will be worse than it was before) NO REASON FOR IT!
CoastZone wrote: In my opinion, the Fantastic Forum has been stagnant for many years when compared to other competitive communities.
Who cares?? AT LEAST ITS BEEN EXCELLENT!! (The quality hasnt gone down @ all which is remarkable)

SvladCjelli

Post by SvladCjelli » 05-22-2011 10:17 AM

I know this is a touchy subject. Let's let this poll stay for a while and see what time does to it.

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”