VO Guy!

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

IronsGold
Pirate

VO Guy!

Post by IronsGold » 07-21-2011 05:22 PM

Hey my friend, it's GREAT to see you again! Welcome!

I know I haven't posted much, either has Biker, but it's summer in Idaho...

Anyway, I need a favor. Do you have a good recipe for stuffed peppers? Your recipes are always the BEST!

How have you been? Any luck with the Inn? Love an update!

Again, it's so good to hear from you again!
"What fresh hell is this?"
Dorothy Parker

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-21-2011 06:23 PM

Hey I.G. good to see you, too.

As a matter of fact, I'm going up north next week to look around. No luck so far, but I'm still looking. Thinking more about building than trying to find someone already completed. Due to the waiting, I've had a lot of time to think about what I want in a place.

Tell me more about how you want to serve the peppers. With pork, beef? Side dishes? I have one in mind that is great with a shredded BBQ beef over Texas Toast.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 07-21-2011 10:33 PM

Thanks VO! Beef I believe, as a main dish. I'm trying to recreate something Biker remembers from his childhood, but his Mom was a southern woman, so I'm not sure! But the BBQ beef sounds great!

Glad to hear you're still living your dream! Find that place, and Biker and I will be THERE! (Er, we can bring our pup, right?)

Now that you're here, I'm going to be driving you crazy asking about your recipes! On top of that, now EVERYONE here knows what a great cook you are! Sorry VO, but that's the price you pay!
Dorothy Parker

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 07-22-2011 01:38 PM

I love stuffed peppers!! (Havbent had them in a LONG time)

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 07-22-2011 01:59 PM

stuff bell peppers with rice is what i think your talking about gold. chuck does good stuff peppers.
he takes 3 giant peppers and cuts them in 1/2. cleans them all out.
then spreads out 2 lbs raw lean hamburger and sprinkles un- cook rice all over it about a 2 1/2 cups (some time dice tomatoes)
then he mashes it all together with some lemon pepper. he lets it sit for about an hour in a covered bowl.
then he stuff the peppers and cut until Chrisy on top and served it with rice. Also he has fresh cut lemons and we put a Little lemon juice on top.....hhhhmmmm good.
i eat one he eats two and I put the rest in the frig for munchy for the week.
some times we put sharp cheddar cheese on top.
some time he put chopped chives in the meat.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 07-22-2011 02:19 PM

Thanks Turtle! That sounds great! I'll give them a try! Biker's been asking for them for awhile now, and we have plenty of peppers.

Good to see you around the ship again! Fan rocks, doesn't he?
Dorothy Parker

Patty
Pirate

Post by Patty » 07-22-2011 02:36 PM

IronsGold wrote: Thanks Turtle! That sounds great! I'll give them a try! Biker's been asking for them for awhile now, and we have plenty of peppers.

I'm buttin' in , I know, sorry, my turtle :D Just wanted to agree with the"FAN rocks" statement!:cool: Please carry on! (I'm stealing recipes from hyou guys!:D )

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 07-22-2011 05:05 PM

fan always rock. glad to see you here to. this is cool. hay hay Patty
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-23-2011 09:52 AM

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I took a side trip and didn't get back till today.

This recipe comes from a friend who was a chef at a place up in Southfield MI. He said he got it from a place near Huntsville AL. It was on the menu back in the 70s at the place in Southfield as "Southern Pepper". I've resized for serving 4.

It's suppose to be served with a high end stake like bacon wrapped filet mignon. (BTW, when they wrapped the steak, the would apply a mix of maple syrup, black pepper, and water, and rub that into the steak before wrapping the bacon). Also it's noted that this should be served with white wine. (Although I tend to go red wine with beef. Oh well....)
  • Just a little under 1 cup uncooked white rice
  • Fill remaining cup with wild rice
  • 14 to 16 ounces of canned black beans. (Drain and rinse them in the sink).
  • 1 cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 Oregano
  • Pinch of brown sugar
  • 4 green bell peppers
  • Swiss cheese, sized to lay in the pepper, about 1/8" thick.
  • Provolone cheese, sized to lay in the pepper, about 1/8" thick.
  • 15 ounces of semi-crushed tomato sauce

OK, here we go....
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add in your rice and stir.
  3. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
  4. While the rice is cooking, take the cayenne pepper, cut it long-way, and scrape out seeds, then dice up VERY fine, about the size of white rice. (you'll have more pepper left than you can use).
  5. Combine the rice just when it appears to be cooked (pinch against the side of the pan a grain to see if it's just turned tender), with the beans, sugar, and chili powder.
  6. Cut tops off peppers and remove the ribs and seeds.
  7. Spoon in 2 tablespoons of the rice/bean mixture into the bottoms of the peppers.
  8. Lay a slice of swiss cheese on top, a few cayenne slices, and provolone, and repeat 2 to 4 more times (depending on size of pepper), ending with the provolone cheese.
  9. Bake in preheated oven until peppers soften, about 45 minutes.
  10. Meanwhile, heat tomato sauce in a small saucepan over low to medium heat.
  11. Slice peppers in half from top to bottom, top with tomato sauce, oregano pinch, and serve.
    [/list=1]

Option Note: You can get a green, red, and yellow pepper, then when you serve them, mix them up so each person gets three halves, all different colors.

Be careful with the cayenne pepper as that will cook up, and the heat (taste) will intensify. When I have made this, I've put only about pinch of cayenne between the cheese, about the size of a pea, and spread it equally.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 08-15-2011 06:33 PM

Thank you VO! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I've been busy enjoying summer with Biker. I know it looks like I've been on a lot, but Biker never signs in, and cruises the place late-night under my sign-in!

LOVE the recipe! Biker especially likes the amount of cheese!

VO, please keep us posted on your search, Biker and I will be one of your first guests!
Dorothy Parker

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-16-2011 05:36 PM

No prob, IronsGold. I'm heading up north in a few weeks to look around again. It's becoming more clear to me that we will be building, versus buying something. The market, (despite the bad economy), is just not open to opportunity at the present time. People are hanging on to what they have. But land is moving.

BTW, I was in Nampa a few days a while back. Still need to do some work near Boise up on the hill where all the TV transmitters are located. Need to do that before winter sets in!!

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”