Joe's Quotes

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Joe's Quotes

Post by Fan » 10-31-2011 11:38 AM

Hi all, my idea to start a website for Joequinn stalled a bit, but I would like to get something going. If you are game, I propose that when you find an old post by Joequinn that tickles your fancy, copy and paste the quote in here. I will take the best of the best and put up a simple site with these quotes.

I have no other media from Joe, I don't have a photo of him, I have very little except my personal correspondence and what he posted on forums. If anyone else has anything relevant, I would very much appreciate it if you could share it with us.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 10-31-2011 12:22 PM

Well, late this afternoon, just as soon as my schedule could allow it, I slipped into an afternoon matinee of Brokeback Mountain at my favorite local theater, you know, the one with the extra-comfy chairs. I refused to go this evening, not merely because I hate as a rule being among large crowds at the movies, but also because I did not want to hear the local youths acting macho in front of their girlfriends by shouting remarks like, “Yo, cowboys, if you’re gonna DO it, then DO it, for Chrissake!” I have a nasty temper, as many of you know, and I was afraid that I would make the obligatory “Shut up, asshole!” response to such a statement. Since I have enough trouble in my life as it is, why bother to look for more, huh?
From Joe's epic thread showthread.php?s=&threadid=20847

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 10-31-2011 04:01 PM

The death of Janis Joplin hit me particularly hard. I saw her perform with Big Brother and the Holding Company, and she was mesmerizing, even with a fifth of Southern Comfort in her. And I remember something that she said: "Every night I make love to ten thousand people, and then I go home alone." Janis Joplin's death touched me in the heart, but John Lennon's death was the hardest for me to bear. I remember walking down Fulton Street in Brooklyn during my lunch hour on the day after his assassination, with the snow flakes starting to come down and "Starting Over" blaring from the boombox loudspeakers of the music stores. My eyes were misted over with tears, and I knew, absolutely, that my youth was finally over and that I would never grieve for somebody I didn't know personally as deeply as I was grieving then. And, alas, I was right on both counts...
showthread.php?s=&threadid=40330

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-31-2011 08:20 PM

I came upon Joe's missives by accident relative to Brokeback Mountain. I then found others relative to his time in NY and many many others. I was born in NY and enjoyed his Kielbasa story and also the story about his leaving a white rose on the stoop of his favorite author, every day for years.

I was taken with his writing and in particular his passion - there are some people when you read their written word your imagination is piqued as to who they really are, what do they do, what do they look like, etc. He truly was a wordsmith and you could tell he adored the written word.

People like that are always missed, no matter the venue, and even not knowing him I felt badly that he must have died alone.

Reading his political musings it's probably safe to say we agreed on nothing but that's ok - I bet he was quite a guy.

Thank you Fan for this thread.
A man's character is his fate

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 10-31-2011 08:36 PM

There are many... here is one.
When Jesus is arrested in the Garden of Gethsemene on Holy Thursday evening, all of his disciples flee precipitously and abandon him to his fate. One of these people is a young man who has been hiding in the bushes, observing what is going on:

"And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him: And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked."

This episode appears nowhere else in the Gospels; it has no apparent ethical or metaphysical meaning; it's just a chronological incident that Saint Mark decided to note at this point in the narrative, nothing else. But in the light of the Secret Gospel, this incident assumes enormous importance. The young man in question --- whom the Church Fathers have always regarded, with some justice, as being Saint Mark himself --- has arrived in the Garden of Gethsemene to be initiated into the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven. We do not know if Jesus had agreed to this initiation or if Saint Mark had decided to force Jesus's hand in the matter: after all, did not Jesus himself say that the Kingdom of Heaven is taken by means of violence? What the circumstances of the young man's presence in the Garden of Gethesemene may be, we do not know. But we do know why the young man is there to witness the arrest of Jesus; why he is wearing only a linen shroud on a chilly spring night; and why, when the Temple guards attempt to seize him, he runs away naked into the night. Folks, the censor who compiled the exoteric Gospel of Saint Mark really slipped in Chapter 14, for the evidence that is left in the Gospel is highly incriminating, very highly incriminating.
- source
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 10-31-2011 10:36 PM

Another -
As many of you know, I regard the American Government as a criminal enterprise, with the President as the capo di tutti capi (although the current incumbent is merely a sock-puppet), with the Supreme Court as his consiglieri, with the Congress as his "made men," and with the Government bureaucracy as his enforcers. And I could discourse --- by the hour --- on exactly why I think the way that I do, with respect to any number of particular political issues. But it was the UFO phenomenon in the 1970s --- not the JFK assassination, not Vietnam, not Watergate --- that began my own personal road of disenchantment. It really surprised me to hear Bell and Davenport going down the road that I started to go down thirty years ago. And such a realization may well mark the beginning of the end of ufology as a science, at least as presently constructed...

[...]

In my dark days --- which now are turning into my every days --- I begin to suspect that ufology (like parapsychology/paraphysics, of which I believe it to be a subset) is a "border limit science." By which I mean that these are the sciences where you approach them by means of the strict, traditional scientific method, only to have the method itself at a certain point blow up in your face; and you begin to realize that the scientific method always WAS a flim-flam to begin with and that four hundred years of science and technology are nothing more than a joke. A bad joke. A fatally bad joke.
Joe's posts sent me off into the internet for hours, or even days at a time - exploring & learning.

- source

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 10-31-2011 10:53 PM

One thing about Joe that stuck out at me was his soft spot for Canadians.:cool:
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-31-2011 11:20 PM

His last quote:

It's encouraging to see so many finally starting to rise up against Rombaldi's talking points. However, if you consult the archives, you will see that I was "serving" him two years ago in the summer of 2008. THAT was the time when it was really important to stand up to Rombaldi, and most of you did not. Well, better late than never, I suppose...

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 11-04-2011 02:28 PM

It is one thing to realize, at the worst possible time and in the worst possible way, that you have been living in a fool's paradise and that you have been misinterpreting, willfully misinterpreting, everything around you in a desperate attempt to hold onto a world view that never existed in the first place, except in your own mind. I had that experience at the age of 25, dotcosm, and I know just how depressing and how humiliating it can be.

- source

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 11-05-2011 12:10 PM

The beat goes on.

"I believe quite devoutly in reincarnation, folks, and I have always had a thing for ancient Greece. Who knows, maybe I was hacked to pieces in one of those innumerable battles in the old country? And maybe Alexander used to chase me around the table when he had taken a drop too much? Who knows, huh? "

Megman - apparently Joe was fond of Greeks too - I like that in a person.

:)

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 02-09-2012 01:10 PM

showthread.php?threadid=22055&perpage=15&pagenumber=2
Iris, the relationship between political fascism and sexual repression was discussed in great detail by the much-maligned Wilhelm Reich, who died in an American prison during the late 1950s, allegedly for income tax irregularities! For those of you who might be interested in walking Reich's road, you can start with his manifesto, Listen Little Man. Oh yes, Iris, the relationship between political oppression and sexual repression is very deep. Orwell's "Anti-Sex League" lives!

Iris, you are mistaken. I have been very much around. You know, sometimes you can get a much better aim at the enemy from a wildflowered mountain peak than from the trenches. And as you know, Iris, my aim is true...

Of course, the last couple sentences of my post are reichwing fundi talk. As you above all people should know well, I am an absolute master of reichwing fundi talk. I just resort to it to enunciate points that the rightwing fundis are unable --- or unwilling --- to enunciate. It's the least that I can do for my fellow 'Merikan citizens, no?

And, oh, I still think that any woman with self-respect in Ohio should start packing her bags, right now. And if the hubbie and the kiddies don't wanna go, well then, to each his own...

Thanks, Joe. I'm following up on the recommendation today.

I started here: http://www.listenlittleman.com/

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 02-10-2012 12:12 AM

Far better it would have been if, on the day after the Election of 2004, law and order had completely disappeared on The Fantastic Forum and a "political cleansing" had taken place which would have made the ethnic cleansing in Yugoslavia look like a Victorian tea party in comparison. You know, pirates cut to pieces with sabers while they were sleeping in their hammocks, pirates strung up from the yardarm by the dozen, pirates forced at swordpoint to walk the plank as the ravenously hungry sharks circled below ---- you get the idea...

That can't work now, of course. The most notorious fascists on this board vanished --- alive! --- in the wake of the Election of 2006, a sure indication that their sole purpose for being here in the first place was only to serve as agents provocateurs. (As I repeatedly told you people that they were...) The fascist b*****ds are gone now, and all that are left are the lumperproletariat drones who wet their pants with glee whenever King George tells them that he might have "the numbers lady" (or some similar post-literate phenomenon) on Coast-to-Toast in the near future. Frankly, I prefer the fascists. They may have been liars and hypocrites with blood dripping from their hands, but at least they had brains. Evil brains, of course, but brains nonetheless...

showthread.php?postid=459595#post459595

:conan:

Riddick
Pirate

Some choice Joe Quinn quotes on Newt, Ron, Rick, Mitt &

Post by Riddick » 03-09-2012 12:35 PM

Note: Links back to the original post follow each quote in brackets

ON NEWT:

Newt Gingrich --- that despicable piece of excrement, both politically and personally --- is not only a historian... but also, supposedly, a good Civil War novelist. [*]

There are many great historians alive and writing today, but Gingrinch is not one of them. On the contrary, he is an abomination, accursed of God! :D [*]

Whatever Newt Gingrich did to a woman is nothing, absolutely nothing, compared to what he did to Amerika. The Bush fascist junta of 2000-2009 is totally inconceivable apart from the Gingrich snowjob in the 1994 Election. And yet...Gingrich is still respected by a sizeable portion of Amerikans. [*]

ON RON:

Ron Paul is the Dennis Kucinich of the Republican Party. [*]

Paul should not be wasting his --- and our --- time detailing his policies. What he should be doing is presenting, in detail, how each one of the...candidates...are totally unfit to run this country and urging voters to boycott the November election by the millions. [*]

ON RICK:

Opus Dei is a Catholic fascist institution that is a mortal threat to American democracy; it must be watched carefully; and, when necessary, it must be combated. [*]

Many of you people know what a right-wing freak Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas is. What I did not know is that in 2002 Brownback converted to Opus Dei Catholicism under the sponsorship of Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania. [*]

Santorium is quite a piece of work. He... is a instrumental figure in helping Opus Dei reach into the very depths of the U.S. Congress (even as Amerikan audiences leave The Da Vinci Code feeling sorry for Opus Dei because of the so-called hatchet job done upon it in the characterization of Silas the albino, self-flagellating assassin monk).
God, what a piece of work Rick Santorum is! [*]

ON MITT:

Mitt Romney is the most overtly fascistic candidate for President of the United States [*]

If Romney becomes the President, then there will be Blackwater death squads in the streets of Amerika --- and no, I am not making a bad joke when I make that statement! [*] Romney...is completely under the control of Blackwater and Cofer Black. [*]

You know, folks, this country is so wicked and insane that Romney COULD end up being the President. I don't know about you, but if that happened, on Inauguration Day I would make like Petronius and slash my veins in the bathtub.

Oh God! Could you just imagine a Blackwater Presidency? The Brownshirts ride again! [*]

Romney will give us "Bush's third term." [*] Remember what Don Vito Corleone told his son: "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer!" Watch Romney like a hawk, folks! He's truly dangerous! [*]

ON BARACK:

I have distrusted Obama ever since his speech at the Demokrat Convention in 2004. Here you have this political nobody coming out of nowhere to give a major political speech: I knew, right then and there, that he was a tool who had been selected by the Cryptocracy to hold up the Demokrat side of the national charade. [*]

I know that people are hoping that Obama will turn out to be a second FDR, but the odds are higher that he will turn out to be a second Herbert Hoover [*] The bottom line is that Obama has been exposed for what he is. His Presidency peaked the moment that he received that ridiculous Nobel Peace Prize, and it has a straight drop down from there. [*]

Obama is not going to be able to save the middle class (even if he wants to do so): the problems facing the middle class are simply too great. And as soon as the bourgeoisie realizes that Obama’s “good cop” approach is not going to save its bacon, then it will go back to its fascist masters. As it did in 1968. As it did in 1980. And as it did in 2000. [*]

Last but not least, in summary...
ON PRESIDENTIAL PROSPECTS:

If it ends up being Obama v. Romney, I'm moving to Mars... [*]

If Barack wins, then it will be an Obamanation! :D

And if Romney wins, then there will be Blackwater death squads in the streets of Amerika on Inauguration Day! :D [*]
Last edited by Riddick on 03-10-2012 12:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-09-2012 03:49 PM

http://joequinn.info should now redirect to this page.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 03-10-2012 03:53 PM

Some choice Joe Quinn quotes concerning El Rushbo (& Friends)...

On the Bigger Problem:

The Amerikan people are responsible for the popularity of Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Bill O’Rielly, and they don’t care at all where the line is drawn between news on the one hand and propaganda/advertising on the other. [*]

On characterizing Rush & his ilk:

Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly are fascist demagogues who have poisoned this country with their filth. [*]

Putting aside their repulsive political views for the moment, listen to how Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity present their point of view. Are they any better than Noory? At least, Noory, for all of his witlessness and occasional cattiness, is not a vicious human being like those two are. [*]

I listen to Rush Limbaugh and to Sean Hannity. With the very greatest attention. I have never forgotten Don Vito Corleane's advice to his son: "Keep your friends closer, but keep your enemies closer." [*]

Hannity is a monster of depravity. Only Limbaugh is worse. He deserves whatever he gets... [*]

Last but not least,
On the possibility of Rush's show being cancelled:

I am opposed to removing Rush Limbaugh from the airwaves. The time to remove him was in 1989 or 1990, when he was just starting to spout his venom. Now, he is a national icon and, if he were to be removed now, a martyr.
If Limbaugh is taken off the air, he can't be around to be spit on, can he?

So I support Rush Limbaugh's presence on the air, no matter what he says and what he does... :D :D :D [*]

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”