Dehydrators

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 04-29-2013 05:44 PM

Ya, chicken wire is weather resistant due to it being galvanized. They use zinc chromate which is a carcinogenic.

The smoker thing is a good idea if I was able to find one. The box would already be made.

Main thing here to remember is that I'm an apartment dweller.;)
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-29-2013 05:44 PM

When you use a stove you leave the door open, this provides the convection and airflow... it works fine, and you can always supplement it with an external fan blowing in there. The key is keeping the temperature steady and giving enough airflow to take out the moisture, but most heat sources will create a convection airflow.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-29-2013 05:45 PM

megman wrote: Ya, chicken wire is weather resistant due to it being galvanized. They use zinc chromate which is a carcinogenic.

The smoker thing is a good idea if I was able to find one. The box would already be made.

Main thing here to remember is that I'm an apartment dweller.;)

Look at my link, they are stainless steel, brass, etc..
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-29-2013 05:52 PM

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 04-29-2013 06:10 PM

These I like: http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/dehy ... ss-plastic

As for the mesh, the shipping on a 100' roll of SS mesh would be a killer.:D
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-29-2013 06:31 PM

megman wrote: These I like: http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/dehy ... ss-plastic

As for the mesh, the shipping on a 100' roll of SS mesh would be a killer.:D
We used this for drying back in the day (just confirmed with dad) and they carried it at out local hardware store...

Just for instance, these guys in Toronto make it and a ton of other kinds as well. http://www.ferrierwire.com/ - I think it is a pretty common product.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 04-29-2013 06:42 PM

I'll have to look and see if I can get it locally. It would be the best to use as I can make a tray to fit whatever size box instead of the box size being determined by tray size.
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 04-29-2013 09:16 PM

Fan wrote: When you use a stove you leave the door open, this provides the convection and airflow... it works fine, and you can always supplement it with an external fan blowing in there. The key is keeping the temperature steady and giving enough airflow to take out the moisture, but most heat sources will create a convection airflow.

Fan,

I have a 1940's Wedgewood gas range so inside the over it is always warm - if I were to put lets say sliced Strawberries in one of the ovens and leave the door open, I could theoretically dry them in the oven for eating later?
A man's character is his fate

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 04-29-2013 09:27 PM

Diogenes wrote: Fan,

I have a 1940's Wedgewood gas range so inside the over it is always warm - if I were to put lets say sliced Strawberries in one of the ovens and leave the door open, I could theoretically dry them in the oven for eating later?

Check it with an oven thermometer. If it's at least 140F then sure.
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-30-2013 08:43 AM

Diogenes wrote: Fan,

absolutely. The heat and moving air takes the moisture away before mold or bacteria can get a foothold.
Most foods are dehydrated at temperatures of 130°F, or 54°C, although meats being made into jerky should be dehydrated at a higher temperature of 155°F, or 68°C, or preheated to those temperature levels, to guard against pathogens that may be in the meat. The key to successful food dehydration is the application of a constant temperature and adequate air flow. Too high a temperature can cause hardened foods: food that is hard and dry on the outside but moist, and therefore vulnerable to spoiling, on the inside.

Megman you may find some good info here http://www.solarfooddryer.com/Info/Resources_links.htm

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”