Poll Finds Tea Party Anger Rooted in Issues of Class

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Poll Finds Tea Party Anger Rooted in Issues of Class

Post by Linnea » 04-14-2010 06:26 PM

New NYT Poll on Tea Partiers - April 14th, 2010
Tea party supporters are wealthier and more well-educated than the general public, tend to be Republican, white, male, and married, and their strong opposition to the Obama administration is more rooted in political ideology than anxiety about their personal economic situation, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

The 18 percent of Americans who identify themselves as Tea Party supporters look like Republicans in many ways, but they hold more conservative views on a range of issues and tend to be older than Republicans generally. They are also more likely than Republicans as a whole to describe themselves as “very conservative” and President Obama as “very liberal.”

And while most Republicans say they are “dissatisfied” with Washington, Tea Party supporters are more likely to classify themselves as “angry.”
Article continues at link. Some useful information. Some surprises...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/us/po ... gewanted=1

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-15-2010 10:45 AM

I do have to wonder about the NY Times article which appears to be somewhat selective. Most of the rallies I have seen (plus some attended) are quite split - male to female. There are some in suits (male and female) and some in sweats (well it was winter) jeans and Tshirts, women in every-day dresses and etc.

Educated - prime example: leaders of several Tea Party groups spent several hours listening to a complete reading and discussing the health care bill that was recently made into law. (Makes me highly question if any of congress actually did that.)

---
off to a local rally -

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 04-15-2010 12:25 PM

Hey, Cherry! If you're going to a rally, take some pics and post them here.

:cool:

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-16-2010 11:41 AM

Linnea - would have loved to share the pix, if they had turned out decent. The flash didn't work right so got way too many 'dark' pix or washed out types. (I need a new camera!) Will see if some friends we were with got good pix. One had his movie camera along so hope to get a copy as he said he'd disc it off.

Didn't see any protester groups or any real negativity which was 'half-expected' ... though did hear later that there had been some there earlier but left quickly. (We didn't go up into stadium seats, but some of the others did - as the friend with movie camera.) The stadium seats hold around 6500 and I'd say quite full except the far ends. Of course a lot of people did not go into the stands. People from all over! As school was out, there were a lot of families with school kids, home made signs and yes noisy toddlers. The speakers (when you could hear them through noise of crowd) were quite good, but must say it was (for me) more interesting to hear some of the talk from people in the crowd. YES music was great too! :)

Local news coverage (from gate) stated they figured 8-10,000 throughout the event.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 04-16-2010 02:23 PM

Here is some local coverage of Tea Party Protests here in Seattle yesterday.

Towards the middle of the video, there is an brief interview with two party crashers. The one guy states he is there to give out the message: 'the way of the future is not direct opposition because that doesn't work. The way of the future is sub_______' I thought he said 'submersion' which seems interesting. He may have said 'subversion' - which probably makes more sense. Would that be a Ghandian statement? Either statement?

What do you hear in this video?

http://www.kirotv.com/politics/23160165/detail.html

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-16-2010 02:33 PM

He must've said subversion. Maybe he was drunk.

Check this out...apparently these are the worst signs Huffpost could find...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/1 ... tml#s81635

Seriously?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-16-2010 02:40 PM

Subversion from within isn't the way of the future, it's an old tactic with a long and studied history. This is interesting...
When Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and now the president's own deputy press secretary conjure up images of Nazis at healthcare town halls, they are engaging in one of the oldest tricks in anyone's book, but an especial favorite of their mentor, Saul Alinsky.

Alinsky himself employed this method, quite deviously. Alinsky biographer, Sanford D. Horwitt provides an anecdote using precisely this same diabolical tactic to deceive the people. From Horwitt's Let Them Call Me Rebel:

"...in the spring of 1972, at Tulane University...students asked Alinsky to help plan a protest of a scheduled speech by George H. W. Bush, then U.S. representative to the United Nations - a speech likely to include a defense of the Nixon administration's Vietnam War policies. The students told Alinsky they were thinking about picketing or disrupting Bush's address. That's the wrong approach, he rejoined, not very creative - and besides causing a disruption might get them thrown out of school. He told them, instead, to go to hear the speech dressed as members of the Ku Klux Klan, and whenever Bush said something in defense of the Vietnam War, they should cheer and wave placards reading, ‘The KKK supports Bush.' And that is what they did, with very successful, attention-getting results."

Planting major falsehoods has been a favorite Alinsky strategy from the start. His acolyte, Barack Obama, learned his Industrial Areas Foundation lessons on deceiving for power while on a side trip during his Harvard years, then taught the Alinsky power tactics at the University of Chicago.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/08/ ... old_a.html

I know nothing about this "Alinsky" character -- is this true?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-16-2010 03:03 PM

Apparently, the Gadsen flag is the height of outrageousness...what's with these guys?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 04-16-2010 03:08 PM

Not familiar with any of that. I do believe tptb - especially those in control of the media - form, shape and present views they want out there. Period.

We are all in chains - so to speak.

Regarding the concept of 'submersion' - I was thinking along the lines of 'disappearing' into 'the system' without being either defined or consumed by it.

You know - enlightenment?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-16-2010 03:12 PM

I watched the video. I'm pretty sure he said 'subversion.'

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 04-16-2010 05:55 PM

Ah well, then. He's an idiot. I was hoping for a new spiritual warrior consciousness emerging...

I agree retro-thinking will not advance the solutions we need to move into the future.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 04-17-2010 12:12 AM

It appears to me that the T-partiers are quite wealthy and retired... how else could they afford his kind of time off work? They MUST be collecting Medicare - a GOVERNMENT HANDLED perk for those over 65 or 66, depending upon which age bracket you're in. Since I'm paying almost $1900 a MONTH with a HUGE deductible for my personal insurance (which, by the way, has now deleted my chiropractic and related therapy!) even with the increased premiums, I can't understand what these people are railing about. Their taxes (at least most of them) went down... they are going to have some of their donut hole covered this year, and unless they're working (which, if they're doing a T-party bus tour, obviously, they're NOT!) they are benefitting from Obama's policies. WHAT'S THE BEEF? Unless they object to a black family in the White House. Oh, man... God FORBID First Lady Michelle should accidently get pregnant in the White House! They'd be railing, next, to TEAR IT DOWN and rebuild it with WHITE labor!!!
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-17-2010 09:51 AM

Bobbi - maybe you meant medicaid - cause people pre-pay Medicare and have since 1963...

Our insurance company just added a co-pay for eye care (and no increase on monthly pay).

---
Linnea - subversion is what I heard from the clip.
---

Totally agree with media putting out only the stuff they are 'interested' in doing. Local radio talked about two protesters who had shown up and their removal from the area. (Some said there were a few at the other gathering at Liberty Memorial.)

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 04-17-2010 02:45 PM

Tea party supporters are wealthier and more well-educated than the general public
Well when you have to repeat the same grade several times, you naturally have 'more education'... not that it does them any good.. still idjits.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-17-2010 03:47 PM

NYTimes/CBSNews took a poll - since you like polls so much This was done April 5-12, 2010:

poll was 1580 with +/- 3% error??

"20 percent make more than $100,000, versus 14 percent for the general pool of people polled. Fourteen percent of Tea Party supporters have a post-graduate education, compared with 10 percent for the general public. Twenty-three percent of Tea Party supporters have a college degree, compared with 15 percent for the general public, according to the poll."

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”