Halliburton - Gulf Oil Rig Explosion

Moderator: Super Moderators

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 06-17-2010 06:32 PM

HB3 wrote: When, oh when, will the Dems stop insisting on "ideological purity"?
Maybe when IDIOTS stop making up crap...

Let's have Keith's ENTIRE POST shall we?

Daily Kos
Keith Olbermann

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/6/17 ... ck,-Please

I was checking in tonight to see what was new, came across a diary trashing first me and my colleague Rachel, and scrolled through it shaking my head, sadly, until I got to one comment that leaped off the page.

can't verify, of course... (2+ / 0-)
but a friend in the news biz tells me he got a damaging e-mail from one of his pals at NBC. something to the effect that their anger was pre-planned because "beating up on the President has been good for ratings."

I haven't checked but I'm hearing that Olbermann slammed the speech on Twitter before it even started.

"Can't verify"... "haven't checked"...It can't be verified because it's nonsense, and it wasn't checked because nobody bothered. Unfortunately there's been a lot of this here lately.

And what's more, I didn't "slam" the speech on Twitter before it even started. I got off the phone with my White House source at about 7:35, and then summarized his description of the speech thusly::

I gather this may not be the big picture broad canvas "never again" speech redefining our nation's energy addiction that many are expecting

Wow. What a slam!

For years, from the Katrina days onward, whenever I stuck my neck out, I usually visited here as the cliched guy in the desert stopping by the oasis. I never got universal support, and never expected it, nor wanted it (who wants an automatic "Yes" machine?). But I used to read a lot about how people here would 'always have my back' and trust me this was of palpable value as I fought opponents external and internal who try to knock me and Rachel off the air, all the time, in ways you can imagine and others you can't.

Now I get to read how we pre-planned our anger because 'beating up on the President has been good for ratings'.

If I can understand people's frustration with seeing a speech by a Democratic president criticized in a venue such as mine, why is it impossible for some people here to accept my frustration about the speech? You don't agree with me, fine. You don't want to watch because you don't agree with me, fine. But to accuse me, after five years of risking what I have to present the truth as I see it, of staging something for effect, is deeply offensive to me and is an indication of what has happened here.

You want Cheerleaders? Hire the Buffalo Jills. You want diaries with conspiracy theories, go nuts. If you want this site the way it was even a year ago, let me know and I'll be back.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Blogtalkradio - Freedomlink radio

Post by Janus232 » 06-18-2010 03:21 AM

James Fox - 6/18/2010 1:00 AM - 1 hr 58 min
Bridging the Gap with Joe Joseph and John King
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/freedomlin ... -john-king
.... Techno Tribal Positively Primal
Shamanic Anarchistic Archaic Revival....

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-18-2010 09:53 AM

Well there is good news today ...

The oil sucking barges are back at work.

They were stopped for "inspection" but are now back to work - hope it helps.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/bp-oil-spill-g ... d=10946379

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 06-18-2010 11:38 AM

BP suffers third rating downgrade
"President Medvedev says BP may not survive the oil spill crisis"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10349162.stm
.... Techno Tribal Positively Primal
Shamanic Anarchistic Archaic Revival....

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 06-18-2010 12:37 PM

BP CEO Tony Hayward to Hand Over Day-to-Day Control of Gulf Cleanup Operations

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/18/bp ... perations/

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 06-18-2010 03:13 PM

Is the oil spill potentially radioactive?

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum ... 104630/pg1

The Deepwater Horizon explosion should be the #1 topic on this forum, especially if the above piece of information turns out to be true...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 06-18-2010 04:26 PM

joequinn wrote: Is the oil spill potentially radioactive?

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum ... 104630/pg1

The Deepwater Horizon explosion should be the #1 topic on this forum, especially if the above piece of information turns out to be true...

Nothingburger!

You get more rads from sitting in front of your computer than you get from crude oil.
Further the helium is not in the oil it is released with the Natural Gas. It is created from the decay of thorium and uranium but the helium that comes up with NG is only 7% by volume and nust be seperated from the NG by a cold process called fractal distillation. In fact the helium that is processed is what they blow up party balloons with. They actually sell it as a by-product of natural gas.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Cynthia Lynn
Pirate

Post by Cynthia Lynn » 06-18-2010 04:36 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Well there is good news today ...

The oil sucking barges are back at work.

They were stopped for "inspection" but are now back to work - hope it helps.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/bp-oil-spill-g ... d=10946379

They were stopped for inspection for a valid reason which ABC neglected to report:

..."The Coast Guard says that while they were just as concerned with the urgency of the situation as any entity out there on the water, they didn't want to take a gamble on workers' safety and demanded that proper procedures be taken to ensure against the very real possibility of another Gulf catastrophe -- barges catching on fire.

But thanks to ABC's apparently flawed reporting, conservatives are outraged that this is just another show of red tape from the government."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201006180043

Cynthia Lynn
Pirate

Post by Cynthia Lynn » 06-18-2010 04:58 PM

Some of you may know that I was born in Louisiana. In fact, our family has deep roots in Louisiana and Mississippi.

My mother introduced me to the Gulf Coast when I was little and I introduced my sons to its beauty.

My uncle first took me to New Orleans when I was fourteen. He was (he's now deceased) a graduate of Tulane and no one loved New Orleans more than he did.

My best friend's husband took my sons and I sailing in Mobile Bay, and it was like nothing I've ever experienced.

We all have so many wonderful memories of New Orleans and the beaches along Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.

Last night on the phone, my mother could not stop weeping uncontrollably about this horror.

It broke my heart as much as anything ever has.

I can only imagine what the residents are going through.

Sorry if I'm being maudlin. I don't know what else to say. Just had to get that off my chest.

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 06-18-2010 05:49 PM

No CL, that's just fine. One of my good buds is a Tulane graduate and got her JD from LSU. Her family is in Alexandria while she lives up here now. I have had near nightly phone convos that go from rage to teary sorrow. She wants to go down there so badly to actually eyes on, but she's also afraid to see what has become of her home.:(
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 06-18-2010 08:09 PM

CL, my heart breaks with you and your mother. The Gulf is one of the most beautiful places left in the US. The Southern US, is just beautiful. There is still wildlife here, almost untouched (until now) I will say a prayer for your mom that she may find some peace, but its not easy to watch everything be destroyed and have no control to stop it. I feel her pain :(

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 06-18-2010 09:02 PM

This is the latest video report from James Fox, days 58-59 of the spill, on the Alabama shore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgfvCYipD5o
Anchors Aweigh

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 06-19-2010 07:41 AM

If you live in the South and voted for Reagan and the Bushes, then the destruction of this environment, the deaths of these animals, and the impending death of these people living in the vicinity of the oil spill are on YOUR hands!

Nothin' that I didn't say five years ago over Hurricane Katrina, right?
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Cynthia Lynn
Pirate

Post by Cynthia Lynn » 06-19-2010 09:33 PM

Thank you, Psychicwolf and SETIsLady, for the kind words.

Mother goes from being angry to being overwhelmed with sadness. She's almost 82 and she and her friends still drive to New Orleans and Gulf Coast a couple of times a month.

One of my cousins just moved back to family farm from New Orleans. I don't know if it's permanent or not.

I thought Katrina hit all our friends and relatives hard, but this is much worse.

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 06-19-2010 10:29 PM

Absolutely brilliant+++

http://whitehouse.senate.gov/newsroom/p ... dbb0969848

This government of ours, founded in a Revolution pledging the lives, fortunes and sacred honor of those early patriots;

This government of ours, which has raised for more than two centuries the promise of freedom in human hearts;

This government that lifts its lamp aloft to brighten the darkness of chaos and despair in far distant corners of the globe;

This government, whose finely tuned balance, crafted by those Founders, has seen us through civil war and world war, through westward expansion and great depression, through the light bulb and the Model T and the Boeing 747 and the iPod.

This government, of ours, formed by Washington and Madison, Jefferson and Adams, and led by each of them; and later led by Abraham Lincoln, and by Harry Truman, and by Theodore Roosevelt and by Franklin Roosevelt and by John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

This American government of ours should never, never be on its knees before corporate power, no matter how strong. It should never be in the thrall of corporate wealth no matter how vast.
This American government of ours should never give the American citizen reason to question whose interests are being served. Never.

In this complex world of ours, Mr. President, government must protect us in remote and specialized precincts in the economy. In those remote precincts, few people are watching, but big money is made.

We must be able to trust our government, both in plain view in front of us, and in corners far from sight, to be serving always the public interest, not doing the secret bidding of special interests; of corporate interests, because that's where the big money is at stake.

Have we now learned, have we now finally learned, from the financial melt-down and the Gulf disaster, the price, the terrible price, of all those quietly cut corners?

Have we now learned what price must be paid when the stealthy tentacles of corporate influence are allowed to reach into and capture our agencies of government?

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”