Ok, for a brief moment, I'll support RAND PAUL

Moderator: Super Moderators

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Ok, for a brief moment, I'll support RAND PAUL

Post by Rombaldi » 05-16-2010 08:29 PM

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/05/16/rand-paul-supporter

Rand Paul Supporters Hope To Depose Mitch McConnell: ‘He’s An Embarrassment,’ Takes ‘Away Our Liberties’

Kentucky Republicans will head into the voting booth on Tuesday to decide whether Rand Paul, the “tea party” candidate and son of Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX), or Secretary of State Trey Grayson receives the nomination for the U.S. Senate. Paul has shocked many political observers by maintaining a double-digit lead in the polls over the past few months on Grayson, the hand-picked protégé of Minority Leader Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY).

(snip)

At a Saturday campaign event in Lexington, Paul’s supporters had nothing nice to say about McConnell, scorning him as a “liberal,” “an embarrassment,” and an advocate of the bank bailout passed under Bush:

PAUL SUPPORTER: Mitch McConnell is abhorrent. He’s an embarrassment. Honestly, people like him have got to go, and I think if Rand get’s in there he’s going to set a precedent for how a small government conservative or classical liberal should conduct themselves.

PAUL SUPPORTER2: He supported amnesty and he voted for the bailout when there was a Republican president pushing it. We don’t need that

(snip)

The strength of the far right tea party has forced the GOP to adopt increasingly fringe political positions. For instance, a DeMint-backed healthcare repeal campaign forced Rep. Mark Kirk (R-IL), the Republican Senate candidate in Illinois, to promise to lead the fight to remove all of health reform in the midst of his primary against a tea party candidate. He has since tried to recant the promise.

---------------------

Anyone that can get the filthy, crooked piece of offal that is NoLips McConnell out of a position of power.. I raise a toast to them.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 05-16-2010 08:44 PM

Originally from the "Article" posted by Rombaldi
http://thinkprogress.org/2010/05/16/rand-paul-supporter

At a Saturday campaign event in Lexington, Paul’s supporters had nothing nice to say about McConnell, scorning him as a “liberal,”

You of all people only want Senators to the Right of Mitch McConnell????

Amazing! :rolleyes: :eek:
racehorse

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 05-16-2010 09:49 PM

racehorse wrote: You of all people only want Senators to the Right of Mitch McConnell????

Amazing! :rolleyes: :eek:
No I just want the lying sack of bovine poo gone, removed and totally out of anything resembling a position of power.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 05-16-2010 09:55 PM

Rombaldi wrote: No I just want the lying sack of bovine poo gone, removed and totally out of anything resembling a position of power.

:rolleyes:
racehorse

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 05-16-2010 10:25 PM

By the way, far Right Senator Jim DeMint (who would like to replace Senator Mitch McConnell as GOP Leader but never will and whose positions you highlighted supports and (like you :p :D ) has endorsed "Tea Party" candidate Rand Paul instead of true Republican Trey Grayson! No surprise there! :eek: :rolleyes:
racehorse

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 05-17-2010 06:42 PM

Hey Race,

As the day is just about upon us, I was wondering what issues you disagreed with Rand Paul on?

I admit I have not followed this race very closely. At the same time, I haven't heard of any extremist concerns related to Paul either. The only issues I've heard about so far is an opposition to the Patriot Act, and the war in Iraq (agree on both), and that he is a big supporter of gun ownership rights (disagree to an extent) and term limits (strongly agree).

Got any insight on Paul and Grayson that you can share?
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 05-17-2010 08:01 PM

Hi Kaz :)

Rand Paul is not a classic or traditional Republican. He is not even a genuine Conservative one. In fact, he is really a Libertarian in almost every respect. I believe like most Republicans (but not Libertarians) that government has a role to make life better for all Americans and while limited it should exist. I believe it should not turn a blind eye to providing a safety net to stop citizens from living lives of despair. It should also stand for Civil Rights for all Americans, reasonable but real regulations to Corporations, Financial Institutions, and to provide for Public Safety, Education, Environmental Protection, Scientific Advancements, and similar endeavors and not take a laissez-faire attitude that government should not "interfere" or be powerless to act in these regards.

I plan on supporting the Republican nominee for United States Senator from Kentucky as I always have but Trey Grayson comes much closer to my view on all these issues than does Dr. Paul and I support Secretary Grayson in this primary race.
racehorse

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 05-19-2010 12:40 AM

There's been a lot of Rand this week, I am more impessed when Ron speaks (don't agree with him fully, but makes his points pretty clear and doesn't come off as a double speaking hypocrite as I find most Repub in power) I find Rand gives off a bit more "generic repub" feel than Ron does. So Rand likes term limits? How many terms has Pops done?

But Rand did say something that I liked, he was critical of politicans taking tax payers money and giving it away as giant novelty checks for a photo-op, like it was their money. That is so obnoxious when it's done. Especially if you are a loud talker of being anti-govt spending. I remember Louisiana Gov Jindal being against the stimulus plan and spoke very loud against it, then went out and making sure everybody see's him giving out large checks (figurally and literally) from that same stimulus plan lol.
Last edited by OMG on 05-19-2010 02:14 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 05-19-2010 01:55 AM

They're almost all hypocrites OMG - Republicans, and their counterparts in the Democrat party. The photo-ops that happen every year only reinforce the reality for those willing to see beyond partisan colored lenses. I have always found this to be one of the better arguments in favor of term limits personally.

It will soon be time for Rand Paul to put his money where his mouth is and back up those statements made during this primary campaign (assuming he wins the general election, which is a fairly safe bet).

As I said with Obama, if even 1/4 of his nonsense turns out to be reflected in his style of government, then we've got a politician on our hands with more principle than most (whether we agree with those principles or not). Unfortunately, Obama, through his pathetic failure to govern has underscored the idea that politicians living up to their promises are rare indeed (even if only 1/4 of the time).
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 05-19-2010 02:12 AM

Kaztronic wrote: It will soon be time for Rand Paul to put his money where his mouth is and back up those statements made during this primary campaign (assuming he wins the general election, which is a fairly safe bet).

I wouldn't count on that at all..

the LOSING candidate in the DEMOCRATIC primary got more votes that Rand Paul.

Jack Conway (D) 226,773
Daniel Mongiardo (D) 221,269

Rand Paul (R) 206,159
Trey Grayson 124,238

Let that sink in for a moment.

Now consider this...

(D) Total Votes 448,042
(R) Total Votes 330,097

care to rethink that 'safe bet'?

Conspiracy Theorist
Pirate

Post by Conspiracy Theorist » 05-19-2010 03:19 AM

This is true...and it's very unusual for a right-wing state like Kentucky for the Democratic primary to have more voters.

By the way...there is no such thing as the Democrat Party.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 05-19-2010 03:31 AM

Rombaldi wrote: I wouldn't count on that at all..

the LOSING candidate in the DEMOCRATIC primary got more votes that Rand Paul.

Here's the sticky little thing Rombaldi, Kentucky has a closed primary system I believe, the Indepedent voters who most aligned with Paul were unable to vote in the Republican primary.

Race, did I hear that correctly regarding the primaries being closed in Kentucky?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-19-2010 03:36 AM

Q: Must I choose a party when I register?

A: Kentucky has closed party primary elections.You must register as a Democrat or Republican to vote in that party's May primary election. If you choose a different party registration other than Democrat or Republican, you cannot vote in their respective primaries, but may vote in nonpartisan city and judicial primaries.
http://elect.ky.gov/registrationinfo/infoguide.htm

Lol.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-19-2010 07:36 AM

What we are seeing with the Teabag Party in America since the fall of 2008 is exactly what the German people saw with the Nazi Party between 1929 and 1933. You work out both the comparisons and the implications for yourselves...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”