9/11 Responder Aid Package Fails In House

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-01-2010 09:59 AM

As noted - had not read the bill as I did not find it until later. Since when does it take 1000 pages to write a SIMPLE bill - A) persons who need medical help from after effects of their volunteering 9-11 and clean-up thereafter;
B) financial aid (re-medical care to be provided;
C) amount of medical care and length of time...

You could do a bill in less than 10 pages.
===
BTW there were also Dems who said no to the bill.
===

Instead of hitting taxpayers by another congressional bill, how about some special concerts to raise funds for the medical help needed? Or how about doctors and hospitals doing a special for this...

oh wait why isn't Obama Health Care covering it already?

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 08-01-2010 11:22 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Instead of hitting taxpayers by another congressional bill, how about some special concerts to raise funds for the medical help needed? Or how about doctors and hospitals doing a special for this...
CK, I can't believe you even said this. You don't feel the taxpayers should cover the bill for this ???? Your kidding right. We should have paid for this instead of going into Iraq, which was a waste of taxpayer money. Perhaps these people should trade chickens for their healthcare.

After reading this statement from you I think if this bill was written on a post it note you wouldn't support it. Very sad.

Also could you show my the 1000 page copy that you have reviewed the one I saw was 248 pages.

This should not be a political issue, this is a moral issue. Its about doing whats right. And we shouldn't be here in 2010 discussing this, it should have been taken care of starting in 2001.
Last edited by SETIsLady on 08-01-2010 11:53 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 08-01-2010 04:03 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Instead of hitting taxpayers by another congressional bill, how about some special concerts to raise funds for the medical help needed?
Desperation to find something to complain about much? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Gawd and a pathetic Polly you are...
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 08-01-2010 04:05 PM

SETIsLady wrote: I think if this bill was written on a post it note you wouldn't support it.

Bingo, the Republican Tea Party, Party of NO....

NO Help
NO Compassion..
NO Honesty
NO Common Sense
NO Truth
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 08-03-2010 06:55 PM

Got to do my Seinfeld impression and ask "what's the deal with..." this time with Repub complaining about the number of pages on a bill. You'd think that every bill with previous admins were all done up on a napkin. I understand if they were talking about pork or the context of it, but complaining simply on pages written on, I just can't see why that can being viewed as a main complaint. All these guys have aides and experts working for them that should help them read it. The rightwing always talks about making gov more like business, well have they seen collective bargining agreements, they are huge as well. Length isn't always bad, a lot of it has to do with covering loopholes. I remember teaparty protesters of the health care plan wanting it written simplistic and short, on it's own is sounds great but do we want bills written like a Dr. Seuss book?

I always have a slight facination on the minute things people get riled up on. Seeing Repub (or if a Dem did it to the other side, I'd feel the same) freak out over the length, or how heavy it is. I shrug my shoulders and think "So what, tough, do your job. What's good or bad in it". But I must say thank goodness Moses wasn't a Repub, if he was, he would look at the tablets and would start complaining on how heavy they were and he'd leave it on the side of the mountain without even taking a look at it :)

CK, again I really like you, but I just can't get the "let's do a telethon" idea. Please let's give these people some dignity. They're not charity cases, they are true definition of heros, who risked short and long term health to be a first responder on these attacks. We as a society don't just owe them not just a gratitude, but help them on the recovery process for what they did. This is so similar with what I see dealing with troops, when they are over there it's all about getting the banners and bumper stickers out and throwing money "over there" for weapons and such, everybody all for it. But when they get home and have to deal with mental and physical issues, when the spotlight isn't on them anymore. Then it's "Here's a box of ribbons, go door to door and see what you can get".

I wonder at times if we say the word hero so much that it lost it's meaning, I know I've mentioned this before but listening to Conserv talk show hosts calling people heros for agreeing with him, or buying his book or writing a book that just repeats his beliefs. Those aren't heros, these first responders are. I think we lost all context what the word represents. As for this vote, I think we are grasping for straws if our biggest complaint is that the Dems is asking for 66% of vote instead of 51%. So in your heart you think it's right and want it passed but you don't want to vote for it (why? so you can keep your no spending cred? or is helping people form NYC doesn't help much with your base) The Dem house rep is right, the people who voted no are shameful, and to hide behind "Oh I didn't like the process" is pathetic. This was straight up, what did they want to add, what needed to be changed. If you want to vote for it vote yes, if not vote no. But enough of this damn stalling that been happening since the election.
Last edited by OMG on 08-03-2010 07:08 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 08-03-2010 08:44 PM

OMG, the primary Republican complaint regarding this bill was over the manner in which it was put forth for a vote. On that matter, they have a point - let's not rewrite history and pretend this was all about the length of the bill.

Instead of putting this vote forth for a simple majority wins vote, the Democrats instead took the unusual step of putting this forward reguiring a 2/3 majority vote (as if that happens all that often these days), knowing that it would likely fail. The reason the Democrats put this forward for a 2/3 vote was so that Republicans could not offer amendments (the theory being that the amendments offered would have dealt with illegal immigrants who were amongst those who responded to the 9/11 terrorist attack - forcing Democrats to make an uncomfortable vote that could impact their base).

The cold, disgusting reality of this failed vote was that both, BOTH parties used a bill meant to help 9/11 responders to make cheap political gains by making the other party look bad. The truth of the situation tends to be ignored in favor of cheap partisan shots by those pre-disposed to trying to make one party look bad as if this is some type of sporting event.

Neither the Republicans, nor the Democrats give a damn about the American people. The focus is on maintaining the mutually beneficial system of government that allows them to continue their superficial game of tug of war.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-04-2010 12:15 PM

CHARITY? Around here we the people raise the monies to help others! We the people do not call it charity to raise monies to help others with excessive medical situations, victims of natural disasters or families. (etc)

I FULLY believe in helping the 'other victims' from 9-11. The people who went to help with clean-up, etc.

How about helping people who have suffered medical problems after helping clean up from major floods or tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. Are we gonna do another TAX bit for them? How many hundreds or thousands (etc) of people have suffered medically after helping with those situations?

The point is there are other ways of getting monies to help than doing yet another TAX.

SETIsLady
Pirate

GOP senators block 9/11 health bill

Post by SETIsLady » 12-09-2010 01:02 PM

WASHINGTON - Republicans Thursday blocked Senate consideration of the .4 billion Zadroga 9/11 health bill, voting as a bloc against a motion to end a filibuster against the measure to help ailing first responders and survivors.

The filibuster-ending cloture motion failed by 57-42, falling victim to the Republican leaders' insistence that they'll block all measures until after Congress approves Bush tax cut extensions and a government funding measure.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/poli ... -1.2529933

If we ever have something this horrible ever happen again. I really hope people will think twice about it, before rushing in to help. This Country is letting these people down and its more than sickening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4BkzuV0 ... _embedded#!

Ya sure :rolleyes:
Last edited by SETIsLady on 12-09-2010 01:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 12-09-2010 05:52 PM

SETIsLady wrote: God Bless Anthony Weiner ! His response to this outrage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4zwCMf8dsc

I would vote for this guy tomorrow if he were running for president. This is what WE the American people need. Someone who has the balls to stand up and face down those who forget about the best interests of the people. I am sick and tired of the political games. Our elected officials need to keep in mind who in the hell they are working for. It disgusts me that the GOP blocks passage because of questionable add-ons. It's all stratigic. One ups manship. It equally disgusts me that the DEMS dont have the guts to fight for the people and are rolling over. Dont mind me I am just venting....:mad: But in all honesty it was refreshing to see Weiner stand up for what's right!
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 12-09-2010 05:54 PM

Kaztronic wrote: OMG, the primary Republican complaint regarding this bill was over the manner in which it was put forth for a vote. On that matter, they have a point - let's not rewrite history and pretend this was all about the length of the bill.

Instead of putting this vote forth for a simple majority wins vote, the Democrats instead took the unusual step of putting this forward reguiring a 2/3 majority vote (as if that happens all that often these days), knowing that it would likely fail. The reason the Democrats put this forward for a 2/3 vote was so that Republicans could not offer amendments (the theory being that the amendments offered would have dealt with illegal immigrants who were amongst those who responded to the 9/11 terrorist attack - forcing Democrats to make an uncomfortable vote that could impact their base).

The cold, disgusting reality of this failed vote was that both, BOTH parties used a bill meant to help 9/11 responders to make cheap political gains by making the other party look bad. The truth of the situation tends to be ignored in favor of cheap partisan shots by those pre-disposed to trying to make one party look bad as if this is some type of sporting event.

Neither the Republicans, nor the Democrats give a damn about the American people. The focus is on maintaining the mutually beneficial system of government that allows them to continue their superficial game of tug of war.

Very well said!
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-11-2010 01:12 PM

The simplest answer is this

"Provide free medical help for those responders of the 9-11 disaster who have suffered medical problems as the result of their help."

end of bill - now vote! (simple majority required)

YES YES YES!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 12-11-2010 01:16 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: The simplest answer is this

"Provide free medical help for those responders of the 9-11 disaster who have suffered medical problems as the result of their help."
Excellent idea CK !!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-11-2010 04:15 PM

Seti - ty - Just wish we could do all bills with simplicity.

NOW if we would all just tell our congress critters this simple one - and get them to listen --

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 12-13-2010 02:10 PM

Correct me if I am worng CK, but wouldn't your idea need 60 votes. That is the problem we are currently in, with a simple 50 votes it can get delayed with the other side wanting to put add on in it.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-13-2010 02:36 PM

OMG - tis why I noted simple majority... :)

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”