Linnea

Updates on GOP Govs vs Unions/Workers

Post by Linnea » 03-18-2011 01:29 PM

...via Keith Olbermann - FOKNewsChannel
and channel3000
Judge Issues Restraining Order To Block Collective Bargaining Bill
Dane County DA Filed Lawsuit

Updated: 11:16 am CDT March 18, 2011

MADISON, Wis. -- A Dane County judge has issued a restraining order on Friday to block publication of the state's collective bargaining law.

Judge Maryann Sumi issued the order to temporarily block the law as Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne had requested as part of his lawsuit.

She said the order will stop publication until further order of the court. Sumi said that while the order blocks the law's publication, she said she has no authority to prevent the Legislature from voting on the bill again.

The state Department of Justice asked for a stay of the order, but the judge denied the request.

The judge said she wasn't weighing the merits of the law in issuing the order.

"What I want to make clear is I make no judgments on merit of legislation," she said.

She said that instead, she was interpreting the state's open meetings law...
http://www.channel3000.com/news/27239147/detail.html

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-19-2011 10:26 AM

Linnea - from what was stated she claimed the meeting was not known about - 24 hrs prior to said meeting. A WI caller who works in WI capitol building stated that the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the appropriate time. (a portion of the call was played on local talk show as part of discussion on the topic - unions and gov't.)

---

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-20-2011 01:04 AM

Well, do not believe there was sufficient notice. The Judge did not find there had been.

The ruling has already been appealed, of course - so, here we go.

Here's my source for this info:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011 ... hp?ref=fpc

Politicians of either (or any) stripe seem to be growing more insufferable with each passing day. How are we gonna get through until Nov of 2012?

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-20-2011 01:53 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Linnea - from what was stated she claimed the meeting was not known about - 24 hrs prior to said meeting. A WI caller who works in WI capitol building stated that the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the appropriate time. (a portion of the call was played on local talk show as part of discussion on the topic - unions and gov't.)

---
I would love to know the name of that caller because I know people in that were in the Capital building and thats just untrue. Not saying what you said you heard is untrue, but whoever said that on the radio, I would call a liar.

I am proud to say my son has become a great fighter and was in WI protesting.

Ck do you have anything other than what you heard on a radio show as proof because anyone can call a radio show and say anything. When fighting for freedoms we need to be careful we aren't repeating untruths.

And anyone that supports Scott Walker has proven on tape that they will do and say anything for their agenda. They and the GOP have no crediblity.

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 03-20-2011 08:04 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote: (a portion of the call was played on local talk show as part of discussion on the topic - unions and gov't.)

And how much were they paid to make those calls? Oh, you missed that? Paid actors calling in to make calls to support the reich points???

And how much are you paid for these weak, meaningless defenses to the criminality that is the GOP?
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Debcat
Pirate

Post by Debcat » 03-20-2011 11:31 AM

Yeah, really, Scott Walker might want to think about hiring another attorney - if they didn't bother to have that person testify in court.

This article illustrates how the Ministry of Truth, errr, I mean Dept of Adminstration (under Walker appointed Dept heads) has been operating lately – and it’s all for the benefit of the national T-P audience, that persistent 21% who prefer to live in their alternate universe. The locals know better and have had many WTF moments. $7.5 million estimate to remove tape residue... must be Koch Industry prices!

http://isthmus.com/isthmus/article.php? ... 2836eb4f39

Walker still wants to sell off state owned assets with no bid or review – this will further drive the wedge between moderate Repubs and radical T-P’s… IMHO

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 03286.html

Recalling 3 Repub senators is moving along & looking likely as is replacing a partisan right winger on the Supreme court in next election – would break the “single party govt” we are currently stuck with. BTW, how is single party govt EVER a good thing? Karl Rove has stated openly the goal is single party govt in perpetuity. Didn't work out so well for the USSR.
Last edited by Debcat on 03-20-2011 11:33 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-20-2011 12:12 PM

Seti - if you read carefully what I posted - I clearly stated that it was a portion of a call that was played on our local station. Our local group was discussing unions and a local caller brought up the subject matter of WI judge. At that time our local station played a "portion" of the call. The call was identified as being from a sister station in WI.

I fully believe the meeting was posted in accordance to WI laws. The law (portion that pertains to such) was read that it had to be posted 24 hours in advance.

IF you think about it carefully why else would the Dems all leave the state prior to the meeting IF they had not seen an advance notice of the meeting information?

Debcat
Pirate

Post by Debcat » 03-20-2011 01:06 PM

Aha, I understand the source of the confusion. This ruling is in reference to not the first bill coming up (which resulted in the 14 senators leaving to prevent a quorum) but the revised version on March 9 which had the "fiscal" items stripped out so as to not require a quorum and and which was put up for vote suddenly by Repub Senators and without proper notice. There were multiple versions of the bill floating around and no one really knew what was being voted on. There were Dem assembly reps and others who weren't allowed in. All highly irregular.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-20-2011 01:34 PM

Linnea wrote: Politicians of either (or any) stripe seem to be growing more insufferable with each passing day.
Agreed Linn, its seems they are for the most part drunk with power.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 03-20-2011 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Debcat
BTW, how is single party govt EVER a good thing? Karl Rove has stated openly the goal is single party govt in perpetuity. Didn't work out so well for the USSR.

Or Lybia, Egypt, Tunis, Bahrain, and a few other dictator led nations.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-20-2011 03:28 PM

What we have begun to witness is the Corporate Takeover of the United States. Citizens United paved the way, what is happening with the unions is part of the plan.

To right, Citizens United just a start

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51538.html

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-22-2011 09:40 AM

Debcat -- ahh were the Dems even back IN WI?? on March 9... and where can we see the final version of that bill??

I thought and what I had heard was it concerned the first original -- interesting - no wonder there is confusion...

Debcat
Pirate

Post by Debcat » 03-23-2011 08:30 PM

No, Dem senators weren’t there - with less than 2 hrs notice, there was not enough time for them to get back to Wis. The "fiscal" items were stripped out which meant that a quorum was no longer needed... so repubs went ahead and passed the bill w/o any Dem senators present. Not sure how they defined “fiscal” though because employee compensation cuts, medicaid cuts, etc. were left in. (Things that sound kinda "fiscal" to me.)

Havent seen a good summary of what was passed, only this: http://legis.wisconsin.gov/11Act010.pdf

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-24-2011 10:03 PM

The GOP Midwest Implosion Accelerates
Gray Davis's pollster thinks Wisconsin Democrats will not only flip the state Senate, they'll recall Scott Walker when he's eligible for it next year:

http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/ ... ccelerates

Shazam
Pirate

Post by Shazam » 03-24-2011 10:14 PM

Debcat wrote: No, Dem senators weren’t there - with less than 2 hrs notice, there was not enough time for them to get back to Wis. The "fiscal" items were stripped out which meant that a quorum was no longer needed... so repubs went ahead and passed the bill w/o any Dem senators present. Not sure how they defined “fiscal” though because employee compensation cuts, medicaid cuts, etc. were left in. (Things that sound kinda "fiscal" to me.)

Havent seen a good summary of what was passed, only this: http://legis.wisconsin.gov/11Act010.pdf

Well if they had been in the state doing the peoples business to begin with "notice" would not have been an issue.... Interesting quote from hero of progressivism FDR

"The process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service," Roosevelt wrote in 1937 to the National Federation of Federal Employees. Yes, public workers may demand fair treatment, wrote Roosevelt. But, he wrote, "I want to emphasize my conviction that militant tactics have no place" in the public sector. "A strike of public employees manifests nothing less than an intent on their part to prevent or obstruct the operations of Government."

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”