Biden Team--Locks Reporter in closet

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shazam
Pirate

Biden Team--Locks Reporter in closet.

Post by Shazam » 03-27-2011 10:13 AM

The Orlando Sentinel
Not looking for sympathy here, but the life of a political reporter isn’t all champagne and canapes. Consider our man Scott Powers, who was sent over to the Winter Park home of Alan Ginsburg this morning as the designated “pool reporter” — aka scribe — for the fundraiser where Vice President Joe Biden is appearing on behalf of U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla. Turns out the veep hadn’t arrived, but about 150 guests (minimum donation 0) were already in the house. So to prevent Scott from mingling with the crowd, a member of Biden’s advance team consigned him to a storage closet — and then stood outside the door to make sure he didn’t walk out without permission. Scott e-mailed us this photo from his temporary prison. “Sounds like a nice party,” he wrote.

Just imagine this being a Dick Cheney fundraiser instead of Joe Biden, it would be breaking news on every channel :rolleyes:

So much for freedom of the press....I have read 6-7 articles before I posted this the OS is no conservative hack paper...

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-27-2011 10:33 AM

Ummm this is a blog post on the OS not an article from the news paper. I googled it and only found Pajamas Media, and several other right wing sites reporting on it including Fox. Why did this reporter take this to Drudge ? Also why lock him in a closet why not ask him to leave ? Sorry something doesn't smell right about this story.

Shazam
Pirate

Post by Shazam » 03-27-2011 11:26 AM

No Idea Seti.....But that was a close as I could come to an un-biases account if it turns out to be a fraud I will report it as such.....I promise

HB3

Post by HB3 » 03-27-2011 12:10 PM

I'm sorry, Shazam, but that's just not good enough. This story would seem to make certain negative implications, and that's simply unacceptable.

Oh, wait -- here's the Daily Mail....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... uests.html

Including this:
[Powers] attempted to play down his treatment calling it ‘hardly unusual or shocking’ and confirmed that he received an apology from Ginsburg.

But the Vice President’s staff emailed him an apology which he said ‘I found far less satisfying than Ginsburg’s.’

The incident is especially embarrassing for the administration because it comes at a time when the White House has been condemning the treatment of journalists trying to report in Libya.

Just ten days ago, President Obama’s spokesman Jay Carney told reporters: ‘journalists should be protected and allowed to do their work.’

The Vice President’s office did not respond to requests for comment.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-27-2011 01:12 PM

This is a great story. Hilarious! This kind of nuttery seems to follow Joe Biden...

:D

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-27-2011 01:44 PM

Shazam wrote: No Idea Seti.....But that was a close as I could come to an un-biases account if it turns out to be a fraud I will report it as such.....I promise
I am not saying its a fraud, it just said something doesn't smell right.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-27-2011 01:45 PM

Linnea wrote: This is a great story. Hilarious! This kind of nuttery seems to follow Joe Biden...

HB3

Post by HB3 » 03-27-2011 09:38 PM

“‘Scott – You have our sincere apologies for the lack of a better hold room today,’ wrote Vice President Biden spokeswoman Elizabeth Alexander last Wednesday to Orlando Sentinel reporter Scott Powers…

“Continued Alexander in her email to Powers: ‘I am told, once the Vice President and Senator Nelson arrived, the situation was quickly rectified – and hopefully you weren’t waiting too long.’

“Powers says the situation was never ‘rectified.’ Any time he stuck his head out he’d been shooed back inside. He said he was held for more than an hour in the closet, was allowed out for 35 minutes of remarks by Biden and Nelson, after which it was back into the closet until the VP left.

“Alexander’s note to him thus didn’t quite satisfy him, Powers said. Especially compared with that of Ginsburg who called Powers Friday and apologized, saying Biden’s advance team made all the decisions about the event, Powers said.”
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch ... loset.html

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-27-2011 11:44 PM

Hmmmmmm he works for the OS BUT they won't do an article on this why is that ?
Powers made no mention of his impromptu imprisonment in his report or in Twitter posts about the fundraiser.

The Sentinel also took the incident in stride, mentioning Powers predicament in a brief, lighthearted blog post.

Biden spokeswoman Elizabeth Alexander said in a statement Sunday that the decision to put Powers in the storage room was a "mistake" and that the reporter accepted her apology on Wednesday.

She said that reporters often gather in "hold rooms" when the Vice President makes appearances, but she acknowledged that the cluttered storage room wasn't an appropriate place for Powers to wait.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... g_pos.html

If he felt he was being held against his will the OS would have been screaming it from the heavens.

Sorry I but of nonsense

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-27-2011 11:51 PM

Oh perhaps open the door and walk out because he wasn't held against his will.

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 03-28-2011 07:33 PM

well looks like another non story blown out of proportion...

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_p ... house.html
I was kidnapped.

That was news to me.

My paper and I conspired to cover this up, to protect Vice President Joe Biden and his staff from charges they had imprisoned me at a fundraiser last week.

That was news to me too.

In fact, a lot of details circulating through the blogosphere — and into some mainstream media — about my coverage of Biden’s fundraising visit to a Winter Park home last Wednesday were news to me.

Take a couple details of information, toss them into the Internet and it can become like a child’s game of telephone — with each rendition adding spin and details. Only in this politically-charged environment, those spin and details can crystallize toward scandal. That’s especially true when it involves the vice president of the United States in an administration that has enraged a segment of American society.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-28-2011 07:57 PM

Well, your suspicions bore out here, Linda. Good investigation and follow up Rom.

Guess there was no BFD here.
;)

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-28-2011 08:49 PM

Now we have ClosetGate:

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 03-28-2011 09:17 PM

Now let's see those that tried to blow this outta proportion own up and say they were mislead ....
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Shazam
Pirate

Post by Shazam » 03-28-2011 09:21 PM

Sorry....guess if it was no big deal to the reporter ...it was no big deal...

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”