Let’s Not Be Civil

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-19-2011 02:53 PM

Listen HB imo you discredited yourself with me along time ago. So in the interest of not annoying Linnea with this nonsense I am going to add you to my ignore list.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-19-2011 02:59 PM

That would be awesome. I look forward to the refreshing lack of insults.

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 04-19-2011 03:01 PM

Good call, SL. Me too.

I think it is interesting how Krugman talks about not compromising on principles (as do I) and the first thing that Repubs minds go to is violence...no Dem on this thread advocated violence at any stage. But I think the psychology is interesting nonetheless.

I'm with you, SL. The reason I took a break from FF was bc of the CONSTANT trollish behavior of the incessant distraction techniques and never discussing the issue at hand. To give him credit, the boy's got stamina.

Ok...ignore list where ye be...
Anchors Aweigh!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-19-2011 03:08 PM

rumike wrote: I think it is interesting how Krugman talks about not compromising on principles (as do I) and the first thing that Repubs minds go to is violence...no Dem on this thread advocated violence at any stage. But I think the psychology is interesting nonetheless.
Thank you for at least reading the article. Yes that is exactly what Krugman was getting at. There will be no compromising with the GOP they announced that in October. Its time to play hard ball in return. Its not a compromise when one party is constantly caving to the other.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-19-2011 03:13 PM

rumike wrote: Good call, SL. Me too.

I think it is interesting how Krugman talks about not compromising on principles (as do I) and the first thing that Repubs minds go to is violence...no Dem on this thread advocated violence at any stage. But I think the psychology is interesting nonetheless.

Because history has borne out that's where it goes. The hard left is rife with calls for militancy, so much so that I have to regard this as "playing dumb." But it doesn't have to be out and out physical violence or even necessarily cannibalism. It can be, you know, various forms of attack. Even...passive aggression.

Also -- I'm not a Republican.

But I am extremely bored.

Enjoy your echo chamber, guys.
Last edited by HB3 on 04-19-2011 03:39 PM, edited 1 time in total.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-19-2011 05:02 PM

So let's see. Over the next 18 months, the Obamabots will:

Become increasingly militant

Retreat further into their shells

Increasingly shun outsiders

Yep...should be interesting....

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-19-2011 07:47 PM

More of the "new incivility." Lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp1wF_jG ... r_embedded

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-19-2011 07:56 PM

For what it’s worth, polls suggest that the public’s priorities are nothing like those embodied in the Republican budget. Large majorities support higher, not lower, taxes on the wealthy. Large majorities — including a majority of Republicans — also oppose major changes to Medicare. Of course, the poll that matters is the one on Election Day. But that’s all the more reason to make the 2012 election a clear choice between visions.
From the article.

Poll: Raise taxes on wealthy, leave Medicare, Medicaid alone

When it comes to confronting budget deficits, Americans are much more in favor of raising taxes on the wealthiest than cutting Medicare or Medicaid, a new poll found

On taxes, the poll reported that roughly two out of three registered voters — 64 percent — would be in favor of increasing taxes on annual income over 0,000. President Obama reiterated in his deficit-reduction speech last week that he favored allowing taxes to rise on families in that income level.

Independents favored that plan of action at roughly the same percentage as the country at large, with more than eight in 10 Democrats also behind the idea. A majority of Republicans, 54 percent, opposed it.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/b ... caid-alone

Mike I think this is the issue that the Dems need to stick with keep pointing out the difference in priorities.

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 04-19-2011 08:00 PM

I agree, SL. We need to learn to take the numbers which are on our side and press them. The GOP never misses a chance to do that. We had the numbers for a public option and should have used them. Now is our chance, and at least this time Obama is starting from that position it seems. Obama does his best work when playing to the base when it leads to real policy :)
Anchors Aweigh!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-19-2011 08:09 PM

Rachel had a great spot last night about exactly that Mike, did you see it ? If not I can try and find it online and post it.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-19-2011 08:13 PM

"Psst! Pretend that other guy isn't in the room! Tee hee!"

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 04-19-2011 08:49 PM

SETIsLady wrote: Rachel had a great spot last night about exactly that Mike, did you see it ? If not I can try and find it online and post it.

I saw that! I hardly ever miss Rachel. She should win a Pulizer for her investigative reporting. But she's ignored because she's a commentator. Doing the best investigative reporting around.
Anchors Aweigh!

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 04-19-2011 09:09 PM

Sorry to disrupt the Obama love-fest, and GOP Neighborhood Watch here at the forum with a dose of unfortunate reality, but President Obama lacks a certain amount of credibility when it comes to making an actual stand on tough issues when push comes to shove.

This President's rhetoric is often inspired, occasionally great - and I actually agree with some of it. That said, the results produced are often an entirely different set of affairs, that all too often need to be furiously spun by his most stalwart partisan backers (and sometimes later ignored in order to further partisan arguments).

Just 4 months ago, President Obama publicly signed in to law, with a beaming smile on his face, a two-year extension of the Bush tax cuts, for all Americans - including the wealthiest amongst us. Instead of standing his ground and matching his rhetoric, he capitulated to the Republican Party and granted their wishes. Instead of standing firm and making the argument (as did other Democratic leaders) that an extension of the Bush tax cuts would be more expensive than his own oft-criticized stimulus spending, he declared this compromise "good news", a victory for the American people (despite the polling cited above). His statement of continued disagreement with extending the tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans was incredibly weak at that moment when he found himself with his back to the wall on this issue. I believe some of the White House spin at the time described this action along the lines of 'dealing with the world as we find it'.

What possible reason is there to believe that President Obama will act any different the next time this comes up, should he be elected for a second term? What confidence can we have that he will stand up and take this issue on in the manner in which it quite obviously needs to be confronted?

CBS News
Last edited by Kaztronic on 04-19-2011 09:21 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-19-2011 09:15 PM

I'm terribly sorry to be uncivil in a thread about how we shouldn't be civil.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-19-2011 09:23 PM

There is no Obama love fest going on here, we are discussing why there is no need to compromise with the GOP. Haven't forgotten the Bush tax cuts, nor why he did it. So I will still voting for him in 2012.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”