Unauthorized immigrants may have to pay $2,000 to earn legal

Moderator: Super Moderators

whskyfan
Pirate

Unauthorized immigrants may have to pay $2,000 to earn legal

Post by whskyfan » 04-15-2013 07:34 AM

Another law that can't be enforced. (And if you are going to protest anything in this country your sign should be in English!) :realmad:

Unauthorized immigrants may have to pay $2,000 to earn legal status

WASHINGTON, April 15 (UPI) -- Unauthorized immigrants may have to pay $2,000 as part of a bipartisan U.S. immigration reform plan, a person familiar with the talks told The New York Times.

The fee, whose amount was not finalized but which would have to be paid before an immigrant could earn legal status, would include $500 when the person applies for a temporary work permit and $1,500 or so that the person would have 10 years to pay, before they apply for a green card, the person said.

More here
1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 704D4P7 70 CH4NG3.
-573PH3N H4WK1NG

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-15-2013 08:24 AM

Is this above the fine for breaking immigration laws or part of it?

I have much pity for these latinos and their plight in their home country where they can't make enough to feed their family - I get that. I see why they risk so much to come here - because we are a great, wealthy nation with many more opportunities for survival, even prosperity..but I don't think they should get a pass that millions of other wannabe Americans in other countries aren't getting. Allowing those that broke the law to come here, break the law to work here, break the law to stay here then give them this almost-free pass is, well, another crime IMO and completely unfair to the folks who want to be Americans that use the proper channels and follow the rules.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-15-2013 08:44 AM

And this isn't about giving these folks a break either..it's about votes and the upcoming midterms.

OT, but so is the assault weapon/ high-capacity magazine ban thing now. They don't care about the kids or getting the guns off the street - they (in this case the D's) are going after votes - specifically Republican women that are sympathetic to the assault weapons ban reasoning. Heard this put out there on a podcast yesterday and seems about right to me. It's always about the money or the power, especially when it comes from the top.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-15-2013 10:51 AM

YES - its all political - to "get votes" --

Don't mind background checks - as long as they are destroyed within the time period promised... well ok they plan to NOW have it all in some federal coffers... future plan to confiscate guns from all legal owners.... hmmm

WHY not spend more time on getting jobs for people?
Why not just enforce the laws already on the books?
Why not cut spending - we all know there will be yet another group of csars and more and more expenses..?

WHY not more attention to these mentally ill who are now too old for institutions, who do not take their meds and go ... ??

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-15-2013 11:05 AM

It used to be that when a person arrived in this country, even before leaving the point of entry (usually a port), that a number of conditions had to be met. These conditions ranged from health issues to how much money you had on you at the time, the name and address of the person sponsoring you, the name of the company you had a job......... This has all gone out the window.

A while back, I went on a visit to Ellis Island in New York harbor and got a chance to see where my great-grandparents came into this country as they fled what is now southern Poland. I found some of their documents online and the list of conditions was amazing. Now we just throw the floodgates open.

And, as a disclaimer - I'm all for people bettering their lives, but not at the expense of those who are trying their darndest to work within the system we have. Where I live we have a very large immigrant community, and these people work for years and years at very low-paying jobs in order to provide for themselves and their family, but they do it LEGALLY. They didn't rush the border and then try to make this country an extension of their own.

Ah geez, don't get me started
:realmad: :realmad:

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-15-2013 02:33 PM

Two...thousand dollars!

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 04-15-2013 04:59 PM

Unauthorized immigrants?

Whats that?

I think it means criminals.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 04-15-2013 08:10 PM

Pretty much.
A man's character is his fate

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 04-15-2013 08:20 PM

kbot wrote: It used to be that when a person arrived in this country, even before leaving the point of entry (usually a port), that a number of conditions had to be met. These conditions ranged from health issues to how much money you had on you at the time, the name and address of the person sponsoring you, the name of the company you had a job......... This has all gone out the window.

A while back, I went on a visit to Ellis Island in New York harbor and got a chance to see where my great-grandparents came into this country as they fled what is now southern Poland. I found some of their documents online and the list of conditions was amazing. Now we just throw the floodgates open.

And, as a disclaimer - I'm all for people bettering their lives, but not at the expense of those who are trying their darndest to work within the system we have. Where I live we have a very large immigrant community, and these people work for years and years at very low-paying jobs in order to provide for themselves and their family, but they do it LEGALLY. They didn't rush the border and then try to make this country an extension of their own.

Ah geez, don't get me started
:realmad: :realmad:

Kbot,

My ancestors came in the same way and yes it was much different and there were rules and illegal was just that - illegal - not undocumented but illegal - period.

We have this huge melting pot and it's bubbling over.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-16-2013 06:11 AM

Diogenes wrote: Kbot,

My ancestors came in the same way and yes it was much different and there were rules and illegal was just that - illegal - not undocumented but illegal - period.

We have this huge melting pot and it's bubbling over.

If we look at what's happening now with what occured during the late 1800s/ early 1900s as it pertains to healthcare - if an inspector found any major health issues with people arriving here, they weren't even allowed in. They'd have to get back on the ship they came in on and were sent home. Now, we've been hearing stories of hospitals stretching from Texas to California where their ERs are being overrun with patients with all sorts of medical conditions - and in many cases these patients are availaing themselves of the hospital's free care system and this is breaking them financially, causing many to close.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 04-16-2013 11:31 AM

kbot wrote: If we look at what's happening now with what occured during the late 1800s/ early 1900s as it pertains to healthcare - if an inspector found any major health issues with people arriving here, they weren't even allowed in. They'd have to get back on the ship they came in on and were sent home. Now, we've been hearing stories of hospitals stretching from Texas to California where their ERs are being overrun with patients with all sorts of medical conditions - and in many cases these patients are availaing themselves of the hospital's free care system and this is breaking them financially, causing many to close.

Absolutely correct- didn't we just have a Typhoid outbreak?

We are loosey goosey with out border and it has many ramifications and guess what? The powers that be aren't going to do a darn thing about it. The gang of 8 and their 1500 page immigration bill?????? Reminds me of the Obamacare bill - just half the pages and again - no one has read the damn thing.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 04-16-2013 11:33 AM

kbot wrote: If we look at what's happening now with what occured during the late 1800s/ early 1900s as it pertains to healthcare - if an inspector found any major health issues with people arriving here, they weren't even allowed in. They'd have to get back on the ship they came in on and were sent home. Now, we've been hearing stories of hospitals stretching from Texas to California where their ERs are being overrun with patients with all sorts of medical conditions - and in many cases these patients are availaing themselves of the hospital's free care system and this is breaking them financially, causing many to close.

Also can you recall when your ancestors who came thru Ellis Island marched and protested with their country flag demanding to be citizens?

I certainly can't.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-16-2013 11:51 AM

No, this was the period when immigrants took pride in speaking English and assimilating into the majority culture.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 04-16-2013 12:56 PM

HB3 wrote: No, this was the period when immigrants took pride in speaking English and assimilating into the majority culture.

Yes and somewhere in the 60's or was it earlier - I remember folks in the neighborhood complainging because at Zody's they had signage in a language other than English. I mean it was all very subtle and came at us in small increments until now we have what we have.

Isn't it like anything???? You give it away and it ceases to have value.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-16-2013 01:47 PM

What I remember were various neighborhoods scattererd across the city clustered around the various textile mills. So, we had "the French section", the "Irish section", "the Polish/ eastern European section", "the Italian section". And they each had their own parish churches and social clubs. But, a major priority was to assimilate into the mainstream culture and that started by learnikng English. Many times their kids would teach the parents.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”