Two Explosions at the Boston Marathon

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-07-2013 05:36 AM

HB3 wrote: Yes, and this is what I was getting at. What do you do when the various loopholes in the American system are deliberately exploited in order to do harm? It's disingenuous to then castigate Americans for somehow denying or discrediting their constitution on that basis -- in fact, it's not only disingenuous, it's the very tactic being exploited by the people causing harm in the first place.

You mean like the loopholes where the government brought Nazi scientists over here after WWII?

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-07-2013 05:37 AM

Doka wrote: And if the government is out to Protect you, well we all know how that is going to turn out.................

"We can't protect you if we can't constantly monitor you."?

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-07-2013 05:45 AM

And then there' this development........

AURORA, Colo. The founder of the organization that built Colorado's largest mosque is offering to bury suspected Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev in a Denver-area Muslim cemetery.

Sheikh Abu-Omar Almubarac said Monday he will pay for a traditional Muslim burial - no headstone, monument or casket - at a plot at a Muslim cemetery in Denver or Bennett.

Almubarac refused to say which one out of concern for "undue publicity." He says he'll bury Tsarnaev as long as his family can get the body to Denver.

Almubarac incorporated the Colorado Muslim Society in the late 1960s but made his offer independently of the organization.

Tsarnaev's uncle Ruslan Tsarni, of Montgomery Village, Md., has been unable to bury his nephew in Massachusetts because of protests.

Almubarac says only God can judge Tsarnaev.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-575 ... -cemetery/

If the burial does ocur in Denver, I wish the people there luck. I'm just confused about why the Islamic Society in Massachusetts is still refusing the responsibility of providing a burial.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-07-2013 09:23 AM

kbot wrote: You mean like the loopholes where the government brought Nazi scientists over here after WWII?

No, nothing so arcane...things like birthright citizenship, chain migration, the refugee/asylum system, "Great Society"-era welfare programs, etc....

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-07-2013 09:59 AM

Doka wrote: The bombings where an "act of war" on America and it's citizens. If you or I did that deed, we have NO rights! We would be giving up those rights, through our horrible act. And we would be gone, gone,gone.

They were an act of violence like any other.

This kid killed more people http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le9066350/

Are we at war now?
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-07-2013 10:08 AM

HB3 wrote: No, nothing so arcane...things like birthright citizenship, chain migration, the refugee/asylum system, "Great Society"-era welfare programs, etc....

You mean the Future Voters Program......

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-07-2013 10:13 AM

Apple and Oranges. :(
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-07-2013 10:14 AM

Fan wrote: They were an act of violence like any other.

This kid killed more people http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le9066350/

Are we at war now?

Two things - first, the article relates to an incident that occured in Canada.

Secondly, what was done in Boston (as with New York), was politically-motivated.

An argument can be made that "violence is violence no matter what". But, an argument can also be made that certain acts by their very nature, constitute an act of war. And, while terrorism is almost by definition, a "tactic", you are then left with the question of "What country does one then respond to after the attack?"

I seriously doubt that the football attack scenario in Canada rises to the level of the planned atacks that the Islamic terror orgainzations have been conducting on western countries for a few decades now. While I agree that the victims families mourn no less at their loss, the fact is the terrorism attacks are being conducted with a goal in mind, and in many cases, with foreign support.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-07-2013 10:32 AM

How do you know the motivation? The fact that you think you do shows you have been listening to propaganda. You are assuming everything. We know nothing.

Who cares if my article happened in Canada I just googled the first thing with 4 deaths. You don't have drunk drivers or murders? 3 people is not a huge scary attack. Your own military cowardly drone-kills that many innocent kids in the sand before lunchtime, in satan's name.

I am trying to talk sense into jingoistic propaganda. It is obviously impossible.

You are in the P+G now, so go for it, this is a political thread.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-07-2013 10:58 AM

Your own military cowardly drone-kills that many innocent kids in the sand before lunchtime, in satan's name.

Obama does love his drones! Show us the way, Fan.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-07-2013 11:01 AM

Your own military cowardly drone-kills that many innocent kids in the sand before lunchtime, in satan's name.
They're killing in the name of Stephen Harper?
Last edited by HB3 on 05-07-2013 02:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-07-2013 11:15 AM

I see your "jingoistic propaganda" and raise you an "oikophobia":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oikophobia

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-07-2013 11:16 AM

Fan wrote: How do you know the motivation? The fact that you think you do shows you have been listening to propaganda. You are assuming everything. We know nothing.

Who cares if my article happened in Canada I just googled the first thing with 4 deaths. You don't have drunk drivers or murders? 3 people is not a huge scary attack. Your own military cowardly drone-kills that many innocent kids in the sand before lunchtime, in satan's name.

I am trying to talk sense into jingoistic propaganda. It is obviously impossible.

You are in the P+G now, so go for it, this is a political thread.

OK..........

Just going on what I have heard that was releasd from "the suspects" Facebook account and text messages, this seems, to me, as if this were a case motivated by extreme religious views - the same views that have also been associated with other attacks, and these seem to be consistent with other attacks conducted by terrorists. Maybe I'm too close to the issue. But, it seems to me that the old adage still applies: "if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quackes like a duck, chances are it's a friggin' duck

Duck testFrom Wikipedia,

The duck test is a humorous term for a form of inductive reasoning. This is its usual expression:

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

The test implies that a person can identify an unknown subject by observing that subject's habitual characteristics. It is sometimes used to counter abstruse arguments that something is not what it appears to be.

History Emil Mazey, the secretary-treasurer of the United Automobile Workers for 33 years, said at a labor meeting in 1946:

I can’t prove you are a Communist. But when I see a bird that quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, has feathers and webbed feet and associates with ducks—I’m certainly going to assume that he IS a duck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_test \

Personally, the academic discussion doesn't do anything for me. I believe that these individuals commited the act of terrorism. I don't think that they were motivated by being the Chenchen version of the NRA or some other groups that secretly advocates violence. I think the older brother knew exactly what he was doing and had an agenda to hurt as many people as he could - in the name of his religion - to prove a point. Whether it was to draw attention to what has been happening in Chechnya and Dagestan, or whatever, we'll probably never know because he's dead.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-07-2013 11:18 AM

HB3 wrote: I see your "jingoistic propaganda" and raise you an "oikophobia":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oikophobia

So we can't use "nutcase" anymore??????

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-07-2013 11:20 AM

"Nutcase" can mean anything. "Oikophobia" is highly specific and relevant.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”