Moderator: Super Moderators

Iris
Pirate

AP: Dean ponders bid to become DNC chairman

Post by Iris » 11-08-2004 07:05 PM

AP: Dean ponders bid to become DNC chairman

By CHRISTOPHER GRAFF
Associated Press Writer

MONTPELIER, Vt.— Former presidential candidate Howard Dean is considering a bid to become chairman of the national Democratic Party.

"He told me he was thinking about it," Steve Grossman, himself a former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, said Monday. Grossman was a Dean backer during the former Vermont governor's failed presidential bid.

Dean was traveling Monday in New York and unavailable for comment. His spokeswoman, Laura Gross, said "it was far too early to be speculating on that. The election was less than a week ago."

... "I strongly urged (Dean) to seek the position," he said. "Howard is a voice of political empowerment and that to me is important, for the Democrats to get their sea legs back as quickly as possible, to get beyond the disappointment of the last week and to believe there is a bright future ahead for the Democratic Party."

[url=hhttp://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? ... /411081052]More...[/url]
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Gotrox
Pirate

Post by Gotrox » 11-08-2004 07:53 PM

<<<<I like Dean, energy and attitude......

calamity jane
Pirate

Post by calamity jane » 11-09-2004 01:40 AM

Excellent choice.

shecoda
Pirate

Post by shecoda » 11-09-2004 01:50 AM

I would have liked him better as the Presidential Candidate for this last election.

Rayvyn
Pirate

Post by Rayvyn » 11-09-2004 05:14 PM

Howard Dean is a horrible choice. Didn't we learn anything from the disasterous McAuliffe years? We do not need a liberal Democrat in the northeast to run the Democratic Party. What we need is someone from the south like James Carville or Paul Begala. They are the guys who ran Clinton's campaign and put him in the White House. We have the northeast locked up, we need to start getting southern states like Florida. I don't think a northeast liberal gets the south. The strategy of giving up on the south was a disaster.

This is one of the reasons I think Al Gore should have run in 2004. Gore could have the bully pulpit of "I told you so." as Bush screwed up things just like Gore said. Gore is from the south and would have probably won over a couple of states.

Don't get me wrong, I love Howard Dean, if Kerry had gotten elected, he should have put Dean in a real position of power in the White House. However, his being DNC chairman is a very bad idea.

Just heard that John Kerry says he may run again in 2008. I don't know. They always say things like this. I bet he would have to deal with Al Gore and Hillary Clinton as opposition. I would personally love to see it be Gore. Seeing Gore lead Bush out of the White House in 2009 would be poetic justice. The republicans don't really have a deep pool of popular people to run against the Democrats in 2008.

Rayvyn

Return to “USA Archive”