Linnea

Every time they open their mouths they can't tell the truth

Post by Linnea » 09-04-2004 04:05 PM

Kerry Calls GOP Convention 'Bitter and Insulting'

Democrat Challenges Charges That He Is Unfit to Command

By Patricia Wilson
Reuters
Friday, September 3, 2004; 3:39 PM

NEWARK, Ohio - Democrat John Kerry Friday dismissed the Republican convention as "bitter and insulting" and promised to be a U.S. president who would tell Americans the truth.

"Every time they open their mouths they can't tell the truth," Kerry said at a rally. "It's time for us to have a president of the United States who can look you in the eye and when he does, you know you're being told the truth."

The newly combative senator from Massachusetts said he would not allow President Bush or others to question his fitness for the White House.

"Not gonna do it, not gonna happen," Kerry said. "I will not have my commitment to defending this country questioned by those who refused to serve when they had a chance and I will not have it questioned by those who misled this nation into war in Iraq."

Neither Bush nor Vice President Dick Cheney, who scathingly attacked Kerry's national security credentials at the Republican National Convention Wednesday night, fought in Vietnam. Bush served in the Texas Air National Guard and Cheney obtained five draft deferments.

Kerry, a decorated Navy lieutenant who commanded gunboats in the Mekong Delta, has been criticized for failing to react quickly or strongly enough to advertisements challenging his service and his qualifications for the presidential role of commander-in-chief. On Friday, he assailed Bush for a "record of failure" on everything from jobs to Iraq.

He listed some of Bush's reasons for the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq -- weapons of mass destruction and connections to al Qaeda -- and added after each: "That wasn't true."

NEGATIVE POLITICS

Kerry said Republicans had distorted his 20-year record in the U.S. Senate, including his vote authorizing the use of force against Saddam Hussein and his subsequent vote against $87 billion to fund operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. He predicted voters would reject cynical politics when they went to the polls on Nov. 2.

"All this negative advertising, blah blah blah," Kerry said. "It turns people off."

After ceding much of the political stage to the Republicans this week, Kerry hit the campaign trail with a two-day bus tour of Ohio, a critical battleground state hit especially hard by manufacturing job losses.

"There seems to be such a great gap, it's as big as the Grand Canyon, bigger, between the kind of things they talk about and the problems that are represented in people's lives," he said.

Kerry ridiculed the Bush administration's "celebration" of the August job numbers released Friday that showed the unemployment rate had dropped from 5.5 percent to 5.4 percent with the creation of 144,000 new jobs.

"At the rate that this administration is creating jobs, you're not going to have a net plus-one job in the state of Ohio until the year 2011," he said. "I don't think this is something to celebrate. I think it's something to get to work on."

Kerry aggressively criticized the just-concluded Republican convention in New York that formally nominated Bush for re-election, although he said he "listened to zero of it."

"I read the speech last night of the president and I guess I'd sum it up in just four words: all hat, no cattle," he said. ;) (quote from Wes Clark)

"What we've learned now is that the president and the Republican Party will say anything and do anything in order to try to get re-elected -- anything except really take care of middle class American families that are struggling in this country."

Bush won Ohio by 3 percentage points in 2000 and the state is one of more than a dozen the two campaigns consider crucial. Recent polls give Bush a narrow lead.

Reuters

dotcosm
Pirate

Re: Every time they open their mouths they can't tell the tr

Post by dotcosm » 09-04-2004 05:10 PM

Linnea wrote: The newly combative senator from Massachusetts ...
Maybe he heard what Bill Maher said on last night's show. While showing a photo of Kerry windsurfing -- Bill says something like "look, from now on, your sport is mud-slinging."

(oops, maybe that was Jon Stewart...?)

NeelyGirl
Pirate

Post by NeelyGirl » 09-04-2004 06:24 PM

No,it was Bill Dot...

And I agree...let the Mud Sling freely...taking the "high road" obviously isn't what "people" want.
Wiggle your big toe.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 09-04-2004 07:36 PM

Words to the wise for John Kerry, from Alice Cooper and Jackie Chan:

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 09-04-2004 07:37 PM

OMG! Even Pat Boone is chiming in! :eek:

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 09-04-2004 08:11 PM

One more thing (I can't believe I have to say this), before any of you BushCo people start hollering that I am promoting BushCo style campaigning for Kerry, stop.

There is a world of difference between speaking truth to power, and hate and lie filled smears.

I think it is time for John Kerry stand up, and forcefully affirm the truth. I do not think that absorbing punches is an effective campaign technique. If I had my druthers, I would put James Carville in charge. He is one alligator who can handle a mud fight!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 09-04-2004 10:50 PM

Originally posted by mudwoman
If I had my druthers, I would put James Carville in charge. He is one alligator who can handle a mud fight!

WooHoo! YEAH!!! ;) :D
Image Anchors Aweigh!

swimmbadd
Pirate

Post by swimmbadd » 09-05-2004 11:53 AM

mudwoman wrote: If I had my druthers, I would put James Carville in charge. He is one alligator who can handle a mud fight!

I'll third that. I'll bet he'd even volunteer just to get in some shots at bush, he loves that sort of thing;)
I'd also like to see Kerry get as passionate as (but not as crazy as) Zell Miller, yet in this case he would have the truth to back him up and it would go a long way in activating the sleepers.
It would give Kerry the headlines and put Georgie on the side lines.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 09-05-2004 12:05 PM

Hey, Rick. Nice to see you posting here, from South Carolina.

swimmbadd
Pirate

Post by swimmbadd » 09-05-2004 12:11 PM

Greetings from SC, Linnea
:)
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

daboodaddy
Pirate

Post by daboodaddy » 09-05-2004 02:20 PM

Greetings from SC, as well, all!
Question EVERYTHING, even your OWN thoughts.
A "Daboodaddyism"

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 09-05-2004 02:35 PM

mudwoman wrote: I would put James Carville in charge. He is one alligator who can handle a mud fight!

Unconfirmed (but reliable) reports are that Cpl Cueball and Paul Begala have BOTH joined the campaign as of Friday....

expect Carville to begin the "pool cue" technique shortly.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 09-05-2004 02:41 PM

mudwoman wrote: Words to the wise for John Kerry, from Alice Cooper and Jackie Chan:

I'll see you, and raise ya'

speak softly and carry a BIG FRIGGIN STICK!
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

cherry
Pirate

Every time they open their mouths ....

Post by cherry » 09-12-2004 04:41 PM

The right to vote is the most sacred
of all American rights.

John Kerry, Presidential Nominee
Congressional Black Caucus
Annual Awards Dinner
Washington, D.C. 9/11/04

Return to “USA Archive”