The 3840 group

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Tucham
Pirate

The 3840 group

Post by Tucham » 04-17-2003 11:22 AM

I don't know how many of you listen to the 3840 group (Art and his ham friends), but I tuned in last night for only the third or fourth time and was very disappointed with some of the stuff I heard. There was a guy (not in their group) who was driving along somewhere in Iowa who tried to check in with them. He spoke to Art for a few seconds, described his equipment and antenna, and then some member of Art's group chimed in that the guy would sound better on "a good antenna", basically putting down the guy's setup rather rudely. This was not a heckler, he was one of Art's friends. I didn't get his callsign though. The Iowa ham was then cut off from conversation very abruptly and was never spoken to again.

Another ham listener tried to join in to the group to tell them about an amplifier that he wanted to sell. Very quickly, another one of Art's buddies (a different guy than last time) broke in and started telling the guy how he should sell it and that he wasn't asking the right price, etc. The visiting ham got obviously annoyed by this sudden attack and just wanted to say his goodbyes and leave, but the heckling ham kept on badgering him about price. Finally the visiting ham just disappeared, and Art sort of tried to step in and say that "let him sell it the way he wants to", but by then the guy was obviously fed up and didn't wish to talk anymore to them.

Since I just started listening to them, I was wondering if this was an unusual event or does this sort of thing happen often with that group? I've never heard Art talk this way towards outsider hams and I was just very surprised to see this sort of stuff going on. I've heard one call-in show where they take calls from listeners, and again I never saw stuff like this, so I guess it took me aback.

Kevin
Pirate

Post by Kevin » 04-17-2003 11:31 AM

Arts always had been a gentleman as far as I know. Some of the other members might tend to be a bit testy at times. They have been heckled recently...perhaps there they still have a bad taste in their mouth.

Tucham
Pirate

Post by Tucham » 04-17-2003 11:39 AM

Just to clarify, Art himself was never rude to any of the visiting hams. The only weird stuff came from other members of the group.

Another notable exception to the testiness was Bonnie, who was very polite, professional, and friendly to everyone she talked with.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 04-18-2003 03:34 AM

Bonnie is a fantastic human being. She is always focused. I know what you mean about some of the hams on that frequency. Maybe they have a problem with Art's fame, and think to impress? Dunno. Rudeness in any form is not good amateur radio practice. It must be tough for Art to try to separate his talk radio show host status from his ham radio status. He has said many times that he did not care for the 'fame' aspect of success in talk radio. What you have observed is probably one of the effects, sadly. Human nature, I guess. Maybe a 'guy thing'?

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”