FCC adds Part 15 spectrum at 5 GHz

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

FCC adds Part 15 spectrum at 5 GHz

Post by Linnea » 11-20-2003 02:23 AM

QST de W1AW
ARRL Bulletin 65 ARLB065
>From ARRL Headquarters
Newington CT November 19, 2003
To all radio amateurs

SB QST ARL ARLB065
ARLB065 FCC adds Part 15 spectrum at 5 GHz, turns down ARRL request

The FCC has made another 255 MHz of spectrum available in the
5.470-5.725 GHz band for unlicensed Part 15 National Information
Infrastructure (U-NII) devices, including Radio Local Area Network
(RLAN) devices. In a Report and Order in ET Docket 03-122 released
November 18, the FCC said it was taking the action to alleviate
crowding in existing allocations and to align U-NII bands in the US
with bands elsewhere in the world. The FCC turned down an ARRL
request to keep U-NII devices out of the 5.650 to 5.670 GHz segment
to avoid interference with the Amateur Satellite Service. Amateur
Radio has a secondary allocation from 5.650 to 5.925 GHz.

"We are not persuaded that we should either add or modify our
proposed rules as requested by ARRL," the FCC said, adding that its
dynamic frequency selection (DFS) and transmitter power control
(TPC) requirements "will in fact protect amateur operations,"
although they're not specifically designed to do so.

Commenting in the proceeding September 3, the ARRL expressed
concerns about "potential aggregate interference" from U-NII devices
to Amateur Radio space stations in the 5.650-5.670 GHz band. The
League did support of other elements of the FCC's proposals,
however, including a power limitation of 1 W EIRP, and said hams
were willing to cooperate with the RLAN industry on other
sharing-related issues.

In its comments, the League said the amateur allocation at 5.650 to
5.925 MHz "has been subject to 'death by a thousand cuts.'" The
FCC's most recent action leaves Amateur Radio with "relatively
uncompromised access" to a 25-MHz segment at 5 GHz--5.825 to 5.850
GHz, the ARRL said. That includes a 20-MHz-wide satellite downlink
segment, 5.830 to 5.850 GHz. Federal government users are primary
over the entire band.

The Commission said that because of the large amount of spectrum
it's adding to the 300 MHz of spectrum already available for U-NII
devices, it expects the density of devices to be relatively low. "We
believe that this low density of devices coupled with our technical
requirements will provide adequate protection to all incumbent
systems in the band, including amateur satellite uplink systems,"
the FCC said.

The R&O culminated a 2002 Petition for Rule Making from the
Wireless Ethernet Compatibility Alliance (WECA), now known as the
Wi-Fi Alliance.
NNNN
/EX

Elk
Pirate

Post by Elk » 11-21-2003 09:21 PM

Interesting to note that the FCC is relying on outside sources for the test results. Mainly, the manufacterers of said equipment.
Figures....:mad:

juno4
Pirate

CW

Post by juno4 » 11-23-2003 04:31 PM

I was looking for an appropriate place to post this. And decided this one is the best I could do.
Just wanted to let you know Linnea that I finally passed the CW exam Friday. Thank Goodness. I wanted to get it before things changed up here. I sure didn't want to do the "Basic" 100 question exam again! Anyway I'm free now to tx on all the HF frequencies..soon the local Ham guys are coming over to put up a dipole and in the spring They'll put up the 56ft Tower I bought from one of them. Sure are a nice bunch of people.
Looking forward to talking to you down the log. (learning the lingo ..hahaha)
73 Pat, VA7PLH

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-23-2003 08:57 PM

Congratulations! VA7PLH/Pat Awesome! Good for you! Are you the equivalent of the Extra Class now? I have a General license, but can tx on most of the HF freqs. What bands will you be setting up for? At present, on the HF bands - my dipole is cut for 75/80 - but I have a tuner I need to learn how to work and to connect to the Icom. Max tx power is 100 watts, and my antenna needs work. Haven't looked at actual topography, but it looks like we are approx 70 miles/112 km from each other - over water and islands. Hmmmm. My antenna is oriented sort of north/south, so maybe we could try a QSO when you get your dipole up. ;) I have the Extra 'book' and think I will start studying for the Extra - and try to get that before they raise the code req to 13 wpm. Some of the proposals regarding restructuring here are suggesting this revision. I barely passed the 5 wpm, and don't want to think about cranking that to 13! What kind of a radio do you have? I think you posted that here somewhere, but can't find the post now. Congrats again! Great work!
:D

juno4
Pirate

Post by juno4 » 11-24-2003 02:42 AM

Thnaks Linnea,
I have an Icom 735 and I'm looking for a tuner...Yes, maybe we can hook up sometime soon. It would be so neat to talk to someone close by...at least on the West Coast..:)
I just have a lonely wire strung out the back door and lodged pretty low down on a tree...I can listen a bit but it really isn't very efficient. take a look at the RAC (Radio Amateurs of Canada) site...http://www.rac.ca/arast.htm
and click on the link down in the paragraph about CW. that will give you the bands I can tx on now. but no High power yet...what ever that means... Also gives you a general knowledge about each classification there are only 3: Basic, Basic with CW, and Advanced.
I have a lot to learn.... I have a kenwood T241A for 2 meters maybe we can talk via repeaters...I really don't know about that...but The Island Hams have a net on 2meters at 815 everymorning...and all of the east side of the island is linked...anyway ask someone and I'll do the same...you never know...:) va7plh, Pat

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-25-2003 02:13 AM

I'll check it out, Pat. See if I can listen in through repeaters to your 'net up there. Just got my radio and antenna set up hooked up again. Everything has been disconnected for awhile. It was great to hear the live transmissions again, even the qrm. ;) - and that everything was working. We had some severe winds through here that really whipped my antenna and feed lines. Glad I secured all the connections and put up that support line to keep the thing more stable.

My next project is to get a better ground system in the shack, and then install the tuner - then do a lot of listening. Think I will need some filters too. I was surprised the IC did not come with filters :-( I bought some silly little component that gives an audio on what freq you are on. Haven't cracked the chassis of the radio to install it yet. :rolleyes: Maybe I can trade it in for a filter instead. Like I've got money to waste.

Nice to hear a report from you, and looking forward to catching you down the log as well. It can happen. 73 - Linnea

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 11-25-2003 03:38 AM

Way to go juno! A grand accomplishment!

I am not the least surprised at this (the first in a planned number of moves) to gobble up, interfere with ham bands all geared to eventually deep sixing HAM altogether. The demographics of HAMs has changed and so have the numbers of HAMs. In decades past HAMs had enough advocates to keep our niche out of the hands of the greed-a-zoids. Now the HAM bands have more value to those who want to expand the commercial and military bands plus boost internet connections (via piggy backing) etc. than ever before.

On a personally note I think I have to move my shack to my studio and out of my (8 x 18 foot livable space) boat-home. Having 2 PCs with a ton of peripherals, SAT TV, VCR, microwave, radios, TV, etc., in side what is essentially an aluminum box is not working. No matter what I do there is some leaking from 3 video screens microwaves etc. Even my IF remotes goof things up in hear. All my stiff is stacked one upon the other in order to fit into this tiny space and still have room for my ship's wood stove, tiny sink, books, jewelry making stuff and a bunk. (Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.)

The above photo was taken at Fort Warden in Port Townsend. I live down a road. Just a very close to both you and Linnea.

:)

juno4
Pirate

Post by juno4 » 11-25-2003 12:14 PM

Thanks Mudwoman, I just got off the morning net with Cowichan Valley Amatuer Radio group.....I forgot that there is a YL net on MOndays out of Vancouver that also links up on the west coast...they are on Mondays Nights earlier. Starts around 6pm. I have not checked in yet but I intend to.
Here's a Link that has some info. http://www.qsl.net/ylradio/clara.html

It's all new to me, but what the heck..I'm having alot of fun. Here's hoping we can qso later on. BTW is your living space Mobile? If not, perhaps you could rig up something on the Outside of it...a temporary shack..Well insulated of course..Or on top of it? Yes, I know about our rain on the west coast..and don't we all have webbed feet? hahaha
73 Pat VA7PLH
PS Oh guess what? I'm picking up my new License plates this Thursday..Costs nothing here in Canada for a HAM operator.

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”