Wisconsin Radio

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Wisconsin Radio

Post by voguy » 05-02-2016 04:40 PM

Tried to send this to Riddick as a PM, but it didn't work.

Wisconsin Broadcasters Hall of Fame will induct four people in its Class of 2016, including Larry “Rock” McCarren, who gained fame as both a player for the Green Bay Packers and a broadcaster for the team. There’s also pioneering female radio personality Aline Hazard, active from the 1930s through the 1960s and “with a statewide following” on Madison’s WHA, says the group. There’s TV broadcaster Chuck Roth, who also played a leadership role at the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association. And Lindsay Wood Davis, whom the group calls “a fierce champion of local radio who had an impact stretching around the world.” He started at the family’s WGLB Port Washington, then became an owner, group executive, trainer/consultant and former Executive VP of the Radio Advertising Bureau. Last year he helped put on Monona-licensed low power FM WVMO-LP.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Re: Wisconsin Radio

Post by Riddick » 05-02-2016 05:20 PM

If the HOF's at all interested in input from the public for next year's inductees? I'd nominate funnyman Michael Feldman. WPR's canceled his "Whad'ya Know" comedy quiz show after 31 years in a budget cutting move, with the last live program airing in June...

WPR has yet to say what'll replace... It'll have to be one heckuva show to relieve me of my no Feldman funk.

http://www.notmuch.com
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-03-2016 01:41 AM

A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-04-2016 04:38 PM

Riddick wrote:If the HOF's at all interested in input from the public for next year's inductees? I'd nominate funnyman Michael Feldman. WPR's canceled his "Whad'ya Know" comedy quiz show after 31 years in a budget cutting move, with the last live program airing in June.
The show was offered on an NPR station back in Ohio which had (not sure legally) a stream to it. I enjoyed the show. But I'm sure some administrator at NPR needed more pay.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

That's Not All Folks

Post by Riddick » 06-26-2016 01:27 AM

"Whad'Ya Know?" Bids Farewell To Public Radio After 31 Years
PROGRAM WILL CONTINUE AS PODCAST
  • Excerpt
    Despite Feldman’s self-deprecating humor — like his reiteration that the set and all remaining “Whad’Ya Know?” prizes would have to be stored in his garage — Saturday’s show is unlikely to be the last hurrah for the program, which is trying to make a go of a different show format to continue the series.

“It’s not a farewell because I’m trying to do a podcast thing,” said Feldman.

On June 7, Feldman launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise $10,000 for a “Whad’Ya Know?” podcast and by Saturday evening he had raised nearly $15,000.

According to the campaign page, the money will fund a cast, crew and tech for an initial 24-show season, which will then hopefully lead to a self-funding subscription model.

“We’re now close to our new goal of $15,000,” said Lee, who will co-host the podcast with Feldman. “But since we raised the $10,000 we initially needed, we’re doing it.”

The podcast will be recorded in front of a live audience at the High Noon Saloon in the fall, according to the campaign page.

“I have a lingering fear that I need an audience to survive,” said Feldman.

Appreciation for that audience — which surrounded Feldman and his cast and crew with boisterous applause — was a resounding theme of the day.

“I think I’m mostly so moved by everyone here,” Lee said. “It’s kind of the end of an era ... this was one of the longest running shows on public radio.”

Saturday’s final show also acknowledged musicians who contributed their talents to the program over the years by bringing them back to perform. Musical guests included Clyde Stubblefield of the original “Whad’Ya Know?” trio band, Ben Sidran and John Sieger.

By the end of the show, in addition to the many folks that Feldman thanked, he had a special message for the fans who have supported him all along.

“Thank you each and every one of you for being the best audiences a guy could hope for,” he said. “I’m your biggest fan.”

-Donald Trump Image

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-26-2016 07:15 AM

Another loss of good radio. :(

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”