Good Vinyl Buys

For music-related discussions

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 03-13-2014 10:12 AM

http://stores.ebay.com/Treasure-Finders-Online (I saw some good VHS stuff here @ the moment (This guy has various stuff))

This guy has some rather RARE stuff but man oh man,look at his prices!

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=20576256

He knows people WILL PAY HIM THIS MUCH as they cant get this anywhere else..... Its sad but as the internet JUST REFLECTS REAL PEOPLE,you often see thier true nature!! (Im not saying some of this stuff IS NOT WORTH IT,it definetly is!!! (Anything analogue is gold))

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-14-2014 09:21 AM

I have been collecting vinyl for a while now, my collection is getting pretty good.

Led Zeppelin is about to release remasters of their first 3 albums on vinyl, I have pre-ordered #1.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 03-14-2014 06:05 PM

I have not understood why vinyl is the rage, but recently I was at a friends for dinner and her husband had just bought her a vinyl turntable. She told me that she thinks music sounds much better. I was shocked I tell ya, just shocked. So as soon as they get it functioning, I'm going over to have a listen. :)
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 03-14-2014 06:35 PM

Raggedyann wrote: I have not understood why vinyl is the rage, but recently I was at a friends for dinner and her husband had just bought her a vinyl turntable. She told me that she thinks music sounds much better. I was shocked I tell ya, just shocked. So as soon as they get it functioning, I'm going over to have a listen. :)

Most records, (on a decent system), are much better than most downloads and a lot of CDs coming out of classic material. For example, The Beach Boys "Complete Set" has the song "Caroline No", which sounds like crap on download, and when you hear it off an LP or even a 45, it's lightyears better in quality.

One problem the download and digital people are facing is what is called the reconstruction of music. They will take a song which has good dynamic range and high fidelity, and compress the audio and filter it so it sounds real good on ipods and other small devices. But when you play it on a decent speaker system it's real nasty.

Another classic is Blood Sweat & Tears "God Bless The Child" which is a great track if you heard the record, but the download is simply awful.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-15-2014 02:15 AM

it does sound better, and it is more fun overall.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 03-15-2014 07:30 AM

In fairness, the issue is not that digital completely sucks. The compression and aliasing of audio, combined with people modifying the sound to make it appear better on compact devices, is what brings the "suckyness".

If you listen to music files in native 44 or 48 KHz, 16/24 bit, it's not bad. But listen to something like The Moody Blues in 56kpbs Joint Stereo MP3 and you'll wish you were deaf.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 03-16-2014 02:20 AM

Fan wrote: Led Zeppelin is about to release remasters of their first 3 albums on vinyl, I have pre-ordered #1.
I would not want REMASTERS,they are probably THE DIGITAL MASTER on the record!! (Garbage)

Im a purist,i prefer ORIGINALITY :) (The originals sound excellent)

I have the FIRST PRESS of the first album fan and I do love it! (I love analog -- NOTHING AS NICE)
Last edited by Dude111 on 03-16-2014 02:31 AM, edited 1 time in total.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 03-16-2014 08:24 AM

Think of "remixes" and "remasters" like you would of someone taking the Mona Lisa and creating it again.

Take for example 10cc's "I'm Not In Love". Anyone attempting to remix or remaster this song will likely loose the essence and ambiance of the backing track.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 01-07-2015 09:27 PM

I got 4 records today :)

1) Styx - Equinox (EXCELLENT -- I HAVE ALREADY LISTENEND TO IT)
2) Genesis - Duke (I have been wanting this for awhile)
3) Genesis - ...and then there were three...
4) Pat Benetar - Precious time (I have this on cassette also)

I do feel guilty however.... On my Styx Album is a sticker from a record store that used to be in town here and it has thier price listed... $6.99 and here I got it for 99 cents!!

I do feel guilty getting all this beautiful media for almost nothing,I feel like I am stealing it/not respecting it!!

Return to “Music”