RIP Keith Emerson

For music-related discussions

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

RIP Keith Emerson

Post by kbot » 03-16-2016 06:34 AM

Sad story. Saw ELP a couple of times in the mid-late 70s.

Keith Emerson's Death Officially Ruled a Suicide by Coroner

A coroner's official says the death of keyboardist Keith Emerson, co-founder of the seminal progressive rock group Emerson, Lake and Palmer, has been ruled a suicide.

Los Angeles coroner's spokesman Ed Winter said Tuesday (March 15) the determination was made after an autopsy showed Emerson shot himself in the head. He says there were also signs the 71-year-old man had a heart condition.

Emerson's body was found early Friday by his longtime partner.

Authorities suspected Emerson shot himself but the determination did not become official until after the autopsy.

Emerson, drummer Carl Palmer and vocalist/guitarist Greg Lake were giants of progressive rock in the 1970s, recording six platinum-selling albums.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... de-coroner
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

kbot
Pirate

Re: RIP Keith Emerson

Post by kbot » 03-16-2016 06:40 AM

From ELP's 1977 tour (this filmed in Montreal.......)

There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 03-16-2016 06:45 AM

One of my ELP favorites - their version of Aaron Copland's Hoedown..........

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 03-16-2016 10:57 AM

More news - truly sad if this reasons turns-out to be THE reason for him taking his life......

Carl Palmer to Organize Keith Emerson Tribute Concert

Also, Emerson's girlfriend Mari Kawaguchi said in an interview that he likely committed suicide because he feared that that his keyboard skills had greatly diminished in recent years

By Brian Ives

Emerson Lake and Palmer drummer Carl Palmer, who first shared the news of Keith Emerson’s death on Friday (March 11) has taken to his website to say that he hopes to organize a tribute concert to the legendary keyboardist.

He said, “I will be looking at putting together a tribute show to Keith Emerson hopefully in June this year, and I hope this is something you will all want to come along and see to help celebrate his music… This I feel, is the very least I can do to honour Keith’s talent and musicianship in the best way I know. ” He added “I will deeply miss Keith and I want you all to know I will carry on flying the ELP banner and playing the great music with my band for many years to come… We have lost a very talented and gifted musician but this great music will continue for a long, long time.”

Meanwhile, Emerson’s girlfriend Mari Kawaguchi told England’s Daily Mail that Emerson likely committed suicide because he feared that that his keyboard skills had greatly diminished in recent years, because nerve damage to a hand had affected his playing.

“His right hand and arm had given him problems for years,” she said. “He had an operation a few years ago to take out a bad muscle but the pain and nerve issues in his right hand were getting worse. He had concerts coming up in Japan and even though they hired a back-up keyboard player to support him, Keith was worried.”

She added, “He read all the criticism online and was a sensitive soul. Last year he played concerts and people posted mean comments such as, ‘I wish he would stop playing.'”
http://radio.com/2016/03/14/carl-palmer ... e-concert/

Return to “Music”