Coffee

Show it off

Moderator: Super Moderators

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 04-21-2013 11:54 AM

Dale O Sea wrote: You gotta admit that glassware looks awesome. Broughton reruns his - takes 2 days. Not sure how that works and he didn't say in the interview.

America's Test Kitchen is my favorite cooking show.

I love iced coffee and the kosher salt at the end sounds intriguing - may try this.

I purchased a coffee press from Starbucks, never used it and gave it away so now need to do something about that.
A man's character is his fate

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-22-2013 08:33 AM

I've been meaning to do the salt thing too but never remember. Probably fine too now that salt isn't bad for you anymore.

NY Times on the truth about salt
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 08-09-2013 10:18 PM

For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Sam.I'm.Not
Pirate

Post by Sam.I'm.Not » 08-11-2013 09:09 PM

I have been home roasting for years. Started with Hot Air popcorn popper moved to an Iroast2 and have used the Behmor for the last few years. I would have a lot to say about home roasting but Fan has covered it well. Once you get used to drinking truly fresh coffee it is hard to ever drink any thing else.

Not Sam
Life is short drink good coffee.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-12-2013 07:40 AM

Sam.I'm.Not wrote: I have been home roasting for years. Started with Hot Air popcorn popper moved to an Iroast2 and have used the Behmor for the last few years. I would have a lot to say about home roasting but Fan has covered it well. Once you get used to drinking truly fresh coffee it is hard to ever drink any thing else.

Not Sam
cool, not a lot of home roasters around, I definitely would have thought more people would do this, since so any people love coffee. In fact it is amazing how few people know the first thing about coffee and coffee production. The way people brew coffee never stops amazing me, it is like they are trying to get the worst parts of the coffee out of the bean.

Don't get me started on k-cups and cartridge coffee machines. People I (used to) respect proudly offer me an "espresso" now from their Keurig machine :) Don't do this people, this is not coffee.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Sam.I'm.Not
Pirate

Post by Sam.I'm.Not » 08-12-2013 08:32 AM

I know when people find out I am in to coffee they start talking about Kcups and asking what one I think is good. My answer is "if you like it drink it but I like my coffee fresh and by fresh I mean with in 10 days of roasting it.

I use a aropress when I have the time and want a just so cup but with my boys running around for convince we use a Bonavita.

Right now I am drinking Burundi Kirimito Teka taken just to the second crack. It is very smooth for an African coffee.

Sweet Maria's is my go to place as well.

Once I started home roasting I started treating coffee as food. It has a self life and season. How you cook it and store it matters. People who will obsess over the quality of there vegetables and where there meat comes from but then grab a kcup or worse take a moth old bag of pre-ground coffee out of the freezer amazes me.

All that said I think I need to refill my cup.

Not Sam

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-12-2013 11:49 AM

I am always amazed that some people don't even have a grinder. I give them my home roasted beans and they look disappointed and say "oh, it is not ground".

Grind coffee JUST before you use it please everyone! After you grind it you have 20 minutes to use it.

I like my aeropress (so much so that I sell them myself - they make great presents) - I suggest getting the metal filter for it, even more tasty, and no paper waste.

I love my siphon pots, they look super cool and make a mean pot of coffee. My favourite right now is my Behmor Brazen as well as the super-auto machine we got.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Sam.I'm.Not
Pirate

Post by Sam.I'm.Not » 08-14-2013 05:51 AM

Oh and one last thought...

Clean your equipment.

More then once I have given home roast to some one they do have a grinder but then tell me it was bitter. When I ask when did you clean your coffee maker last they look at me confused "clean my coffee maker?"

If you don't clean your maker regularly no matter how well you do everything else your coffee will start to be bitter.

Not Sam

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-14-2013 09:35 AM

Sam.I'm.Not wrote: Oh and one last thought...

Clean your equipment.

More then once I have given home roast to some one they do have a grinder but then tell me it was bitter. When I ask when did you clean your coffee maker last they look at me confused "clean my coffee maker?"

If you don't clean your maker regularly no matter how well you do everything else your coffee will start to be bitter.

Not Sam

...and your grinder too.

Many people also brew their coffee too hot. This brings out more of the bitter compounds in a bean. Some people still use a percolator, which literally boils the coffee. Not going to taste great.

Return to “Photography”