An interesting shrine

Show it off

Moderator: Super Moderators

Raggedyann
Pirate

An interesting shrine

Post by Raggedyann » 04-14-2014 06:25 PM

These pictures are of a shrine that was built by a man named "Manny", and is located deep in the forest outside Old Nimpkish logging camp on Northern Vancouver Island. He built the shrine for his deceased wife.

I lived in the camp for 7 yrs prior to its closing in 1983. The last pic is where the pooch and I go for walks. This spot was once occupied by houses and other camp related buildings.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-14-2014 06:27 PM

“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-14-2014 06:28 PM

I can't seem to get the last photo to load. :(
Last edited by Raggedyann on 04-14-2014 06:35 PM, edited 1 time in total.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-14-2014 07:13 PM

Nice pics.

I like to look at religious art because there is just so much to see, and its interesting to see how things either change, or remain the same over time.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-15-2014 12:44 AM

kbot wrote: Nice pics.

I like to look at religious art because there is just so much to see, and its interesting to see how things either change, or remain the same over time.

I was thinking of you when I found these on my FB page. A friend posted them.

Can you shed some light on it Kbot? I would be interested to know more about it if you are familiar with it.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-15-2014 10:49 AM

Nothing other than the sculptures look very similar to what I've seen on trips to Barcelona, southern France and Italy.......
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-15-2014 02:52 PM

kbot wrote: Nothing other than the sculptures look very similar to what I've seen on trips to Barcelona, southern France and Italy.......

The artist Manny was from Mexico I believe so that makes sense.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-16-2014 09:55 AM

That is amazing. Do you still go up there ever? What is going on there now?

Is this grave maintained or is it just left to be nurtured by nature?
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-16-2014 03:34 PM

Fan wrote: That is amazing. Do you still go up there ever? What is going on there now?

Is this grave maintained or is it just left to be nurtured by nature?

It isn't a grave Fan. They wouldn't have allowed that. It's a shrine in his wife's memory and he chiseled it himself. Manny is long gone but people keep the sight cleared of brush and visible to hikers.

I used to hike a lot around the Nimpkish Valley. Not so much anymore because logging has stripped so much of the land that the chance of wild animal encounters has increased hugely. I don't have the agility, sight and hearing that I used to have and this has severely inhibited my activities in the bushes. Plus Casey dog is 14 and he can't move quick or climb anymore either. Us old guys just stick to well used trails. I go there when my kids are here to visit. There is safety in numbers.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-16-2014 03:42 PM

I have to get back to the island soon. For those wondering, here is some info about the area http://www.geog.uvic.ca/viwilds/ul-nimkishvalley.html

Going out east again this year, but next year I am thinking of a BC trip.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-16-2014 04:34 PM

I have many pics of the Valley and I shall have to scan and post them. Some are of the camp that overlooked Nimpkish Lake.

My kids were raised in camp and they have fond memories of all the freedom they had that kids today don't seem to have anymore. When my son reached the age of around 10, he used to get up at sunrise, load up his little pack with food and drink and he and his buddies would head off into the forest. There was an old abandoned cabin on the lake and they used to hike through the woods to spend the day swimming, playing and being boys. The cabin had been built in the late 60's by an American draft dodger. It was the famous "Dave's Cabin".

We had a rec hall, swimming pool and tennis court. The rec hall had a movie projector and full sized screen. It was also used for dances, and family gatherings. And it was equipped with mats, ping pong, trampoline, bar and full kitchen. The fire hall had the pool table and fully stocked bar for adults. We paid for the booze using the honour system. All residents had keys for the rec facilities to use at their leisure.

In the summer the logging company would bring in students from the city to keep the kids entertained with hiking, camp fires, swimming lessons etc. All paid for by the company. Families were allowed to dine at the cookhouse on Sundays for free. The company bought Christmas presents for all and they were distributed at the rec hall by Santa, along with food and drink.

We had a band that I sang with and we played for all the functions and dances.

The Company provided us with a wonderful life in order to entice people to work and live in the boonies and they still made humongous profits. The great quality of life we all had in those days, no matter where we lived in Canada, need not have changed, but alas it has and for no real reason that I have been able to discern, other than criminal greed. We are no longer the land of the plenty.
Last edited by Raggedyann on 04-16-2014 04:40 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-16-2014 05:21 PM

Not to insult what you did, since it is necessary, and basically built our country, but the way it was done ensured that it could not last long. Maximum profits, everything else be damned. It is a crime for which no one will ever pay.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-16-2014 07:40 PM

Fan wrote: Not to insult what you did, since it is necessary, and basically built our country, but the way it was done ensured that it could not last long. Maximum profits, everything else be damned. It is a crime for which no one will ever pay.

I couldn't agree more Fan. Back in the 70's, most of us didn't really think about how things were being done and the damage logging was doing. I remember the first time my Mom came to visit and she made the comment that looking at the miles of clear cut was heartbreaking for her. Her comment opened my eyes that day. Problem was, it was a good life and we made big money. It was hard to give it up. You know that you can quit and move on but it will continue on without you, as we are powerless and nothing was going to stop it.

I remember sending 700 year old trees to the pulp sort merely because they had too many knots. It bothered me more and more the older I got. I couldn't help but feel that they at least deserved to become part of a building that would stand for many years. Sounds crazy I know.
Last edited by Raggedyann on 04-16-2014 07:46 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Photography”