"Art Bell's Dark Matter"

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 09-06-2013 09:49 AM

Long ago Art had Oats on and he did some reverse on Art that tripped Art off and Art banned him from then on.

I don't usually listen to noodle brain but will today at this link,

http://www.c2camdaily.com/

The program is posted there now so I will try to keep my sanity through noodles comments and hear what was said.

We can assume Art did listen which is why he posted that.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-06-2013 10:47 AM

HB3 wrote: So Noory had David John Oates on last night, eh? What happened?
Would you believe with what the Horror Reporter's gathered, from all 'appearances' you've already answered your own question?

A first in over a decade C2C Oates appearance happened, seeming being bad enough in itself to deserve derisive mention albeit indirect and brief. Maybe he'll bring it up again on either FB or his show?

In any case TO this point, I tend to think by not elaborating on it as sad and severely shameful as it may be, Art's telling us it AIN'T "The End of the World".

rslawsky
Pirate

Post by rslawsky » 09-06-2013 03:11 PM

I saw that post this morning. I was a regular listener when all that was going on. I don't recall the exact details of the dispute but it was all occurring around the time of Art's personal issues, him leaving the show for the first time, some character named Robert A.M. Stephens and Art's lawsuit against a shortwave broadcaster. I was listening when Oates came on the show and issued an apology.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-06-2013 03:14 PM

Yeah, same here. I don't remember Oates doing reversals on Art at the time. I remember Art didn't like it when Oates' interpretations became too metaphorical.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-06-2013 03:24 PM

Riddick wrote: Would you believe with what the Horror Reporter's gathered, from all 'appearances' you've already answered your own question?

A first in over a decade C2C Oates appearance happened, seeming being bad enough in itself to deserve derisive mention albeit indirect and brief. Maybe he'll bring it up again on either FB or his show?

In any case TO this point, I tend to think by not elaborating on it as sad and severely shameful as it may be, Art's telling us it AIN'T "The End of the World".
thanks for this info, makes sense now. Did it not involve Art's son as well, or was that a different event?
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

rslawsky
Pirate

Post by rslawsky » 09-06-2013 03:40 PM

He wasn't directly involved although everything was tangentially connected. When Art quit initially it was something that made the national news. I was delivering newspapers at the time and had to pull over to absorb it; he said it in the closing seconds of the show and it was a complete shock.

I'm probably confusing the timelines a bit but my impression was that a few people had heard rumors of Art and some connection to crimes against a child (I'm trying to be tactful) and assumed that Art was the perpetrator of the acts as opposed to his family member being the victim. Someone on another show had encouraged people to call into Art's show and ask Art about it on the air. I recall that being the impetus for a severe cutback on open lines. My sense was that the accusations against him from a variety of people, the calls to the show and concerns over his family member's physical and mental health just got to be too much.

Anyway, the whole thing was a big mess and DJO was involved somehow.

I keep seeing posts about how people won't listen if GIS is on the show. What does that mean? The only guest that might turn me off is Ed Dames. I'm still waiting for that kill shot.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-06-2013 03:54 PM

He wasn't directly involved although everything was tangentially connected. When Art quit initially it was something that made the national news. I was delivering newspapers at the time and had to pull over to absorb it; he said it in the closing seconds of the show and it was a complete shock.
That's right! I, too, remember it well. It was doubly shocking because he'd just come back from vacation, Africa, I believe, though in retrospect maybe there was no "vacation" at all. And yeah, I remember people were messing up the open lines, I guess at the behest of this Stevens guy. As you said, it was all sort of tied in together. And that's what began the on-again, off-again craziness. Must've been the beginning of '98.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-06-2013 04:08 PM

The GIS shows were boring, repetitive, and emblematic of the obligatory, by-the-numbers quality of Art's final sequence of shows. So, personally, I took Art's announcement that the GIS would be among his first guests, as though this were some impressive coup, as a bad sign, a very bad sign.

rslawsky
Pirate

Post by rslawsky » 09-06-2013 04:14 PM

But what does GIS stand for?

rslawsky
Pirate

Post by rslawsky » 09-06-2013 04:15 PM

Never mind; I think I figured it out. Ghost Investigators Society.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-06-2013 04:16 PM

HB3 wrote: That's right! I, too, remember it well. It was doubly shocking because he'd just come back from vacation, Africa, I believe, though in retrospect maybe there was no "vacation" at all.
Yeah, nothing is as it seems. Except maybe GN's sly Sgt. Schultz impersonation as C2C host. He doesn't have to SAY "I know nothing", anyone who's paying attention to his shtick just knows it's true.

Anyhoo, I imagine we'll know a lot more about all the ins-and-outs behind-the-scenes stuff when Art tells the real story behind his 'so-called' retirements.

JimWest
Pirate

Post by JimWest » 09-06-2013 04:20 PM

For more info on the old Art Bell - David John Oates feud and subsequent lawsuits that started in the late 1990s, here is an old link (story from one side only though):

History of Bell/Oates Feud - Decide for yourself!
http://davidoates.tripod.com/index12.html

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-06-2013 04:25 PM

HB3 wrote: The GIS shows were boring, repetitive, and emblematic of the obligatory, by-the-numbers quality of Art's final sequence of shows. So, personally, I took Art's announcement that the GIS would be among his first guests, as though this were some impressive coup, as a bad sign, a very bad sign.
I disliked those shows as well, although some interesting things did come out of them such as the Spiricom http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic ... nk.27s_Box which was at least entertaining.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-06-2013 04:35 PM

JimWest wrote: For more info on the old Art Bell - David John Oates feud and subsequent lawsuits that started in the late 1990s, here is an old link (story from one side only though):

History of Bell/Oates Feud - Decide for yourself!
http://davidoates.tripod.com/index12.html

Yeah, that's funny. Wasn't there a naked photo of Oates involved in all this? That must've been from the ex-girlfriend he mentioned.

rslawsky
Pirate

Post by rslawsky » 09-06-2013 04:58 PM

On a lighter (?) note, does anyone remember the time Art stepped out on his porch for a smoke during a break, forgetting that the porch was being replaced and had been removed earlier that day? It took about half an hour for him to get back on.

And there's always the old standby of supergluing his lips together while trying to fix a cart rack.

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”