Sirius Radio Talk

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

alleyrulez
Pirate

Re: Sirius Radio Talk

Post by alleyrulez » 07-30-2013 05:29 PM

Fan wrote: OK, let's discuss the tech and options here.

My first question is do I have to have a vehicle hookup to get real satellite radio (ie: not using internet)?

SiriusXM has a model called Snap. you just connect it to the power adapter of your car, insert the wire into the auxiliary input of your car radio and you are all set.

paid about $20 for mine.

http://shop.siriusxm.com/xm/ctl10600/cp ... icle_radio

Fan
Lady with a

Re: Re: Sirius Radio Talk

Post by Fan » 07-30-2013 06:08 PM

alleyrulez wrote: SiriusXM has a model called Snap. you just connect it to the power adapter of your car, insert the wire into the auxiliary input of your car radio and you are all set.

paid about for mine.

http://shop.siriusxm.com/xm/ctl10600/cp ... icle_radio
thats the thing, I am almost never in the car, so I wanted a portable one, but hey, the smartphone does it apparently, so that is OK.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

alleyrulez
Pirate

Re: Re: Re: Sirius Radio Talk

Post by alleyrulez » 07-30-2013 06:21 PM

Fan wrote: thats the thing, I am almost never in the car, so I wanted a portable one, but hey, the smartphone does it apparently, so that is OK.

the Snap is very portable, I think that was the point in it's creation.

when I take a rental car from my occasional trips, the Snap goes with me.

Fan
Lady with a

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sirius Radio Talk

Post by Fan » 07-30-2013 06:22 PM

alleyrulez wrote: the Snap is very portable, I think that was the point in it's creation.

when I take a rental car from my occasional trips, the Snap goes with me.

but does it work by itself, outside the car, on batteries? ie: I can plug headphones into it and walk around?
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 07-30-2013 06:38 PM

kbot wrote: Been wondering the same. I have an account for my wife's car, but, honestly, even with the current AM Coast2Coast, I tend it download from the archives and listen later when I can. I'd prefer to listen to Art in the same fashion, instead of being in my wife's car at 2:30AM......

Chicken:D
A man's character is his fate

alleyrulez
Pirate

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sirius Radio Talk

Post by alleyrulez » 07-30-2013 06:42 PM

Fan wrote: but does it work by itself, outside the car, on batteries? ie: I can plug headphones into it and walk around?

it is strictly for use in the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNZVPzWSSYE

JimWest
Pirate

Post by JimWest » 07-30-2013 06:51 PM

The cheapest internet-only option for Sirius/XM I can find at the USA Sirius website is $14.49 a month (plus fees/taxes)
There is an alacarte subscription for as little as $7.99 a month, but that says it doesn't provide internet streaming, so that option would require purchasing a Sirius radio and accessories for use as a standalone or vehicle radio with outside antenna.
They also have an everything package (radio, internet, all channels) for a special pay per year price of $199/year - thats about $16.50/month.
Internet option is an add on extra price to a regular subscription unless you get the special package or internet only subscription. Internet option also provides an 'on demand' feature for some shows where you can listen any time you like from archives from the past 30+ days - Art Bell's show is listed as one that will be in the on demand list.

I have read the Canadian Sirius/XM is a separate company with their own different packages and prices.
Don't think Sirius/XM is available in other countries like in Europe or the southern hemisphere, so its not worldwide unfortunately like the internet?
Last edited by JimWest on 07-30-2013 07:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.

JimWest
Pirate

Post by JimWest » 07-30-2013 06:54 PM

Riddick wrote: So online streaming subs only cost about half as much as the whole works, eh?

If the Internet side came with an ongoing on-demand show archive, my overall Thrill-O-Meter rating might edge up from 3.

From what I read at the USA Sirius/XM website, they do have an on-demand show archive that goes back a month or so on some of the talk shows. Art Bell's new show is listed as planned on being added to the on-demand list.
You need the internet option for Sirius which by itself costs the same as the regular satellite subscription ($14.49/month) or can be added for a few dollars more a month on top of a regular radio satellite subscription.

Canada's Sirius/XM appears to be a separate entity and has different package options and prices, may be higher or lower priced than the USA. From what I see at the separate Canada Sirius/XM site the cheapest plan they show is $15.99/month (without internet which is a $4/mo add on option to that plan)
Last edited by JimWest on 07-30-2013 07:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-30-2013 07:40 PM

Thanks for the info JW. Not 'zactly what I was hoping for, but then, none of it was - apart from Art coming back, that is, which is good in and of itself - I spot 3 points on my Thrill-O-Meter just for that.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 07-30-2013 08:11 PM

Diogenes wrote: Chicken:D

No.......... "getting old"

Plus I have to get up at 5:00AM.........

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 07-30-2013 08:59 PM

kbot wrote: No.......... "getting old"

Plus I have to get up at 5:00AM.........

Doesn't that getting up that early get old????? I am not eager to rise as early as I used to either. When you start at 5am boy is that a longggggggggg day.
A man's character is his fate

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 07-30-2013 09:51 PM

From the research I've been doing, it does appear that HB3 is correct. You can purchase a portable unit that can be interchangeably used in either your car, or in your home. One device can even play via WiFi.

It looks as if the SiriusXM Edge, and SiriusXM Lynx are the two most current portable models on the market which will serve this function (the prices are far better on Amazon).

SiriusXm Lynx

SiriusXM Edge

You can buy a home kit, as well as a car kit for both units. This helps with mounting and power supply. Boombox speaker docks for the home are also available.

From what I have read, the key issue with a home kit is reception. An antenna is pretty much required. Being radio junkies, I can't imagine the antenna aspect should be too complicated for any of us.

Other than antenna issues in both the car and home (I suspect a professional installation in the car will make a big difference if it is affordable. If not, do plenty of research. It's out there and apparently makes all the difference in the world if you don't try to DIY as a rush job when it comes to your car), it looks as if the only other typical problems with these radios is:

A) Buying an XM only version - which will leave your S.O.L. when it comes to the new Dark Matter program.

B) These radios seem to crap out after a few years. They aren't built like old Zenith radios to say the least.

C) SiriusXM customer service is rumored to be absolutely awful compared to industry standards.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-30-2013 10:10 PM

if I wanted to get this on my home audio system or TV I would buy an android based media player (~$100), that can play videos and is a real android OS instead, and subscribe to the internet service. You could also buy an older android phone on ebay and use that for streaming it to the phone directly. Their devices are really made for cars, so if you drive alot, I would go for those for sure. Plus, it does not rely on the internet, which is what I would ideally like, but realistically I am very rarely out of internet range, and when I am, I want to be.

JimWest
Pirate

Post by JimWest » 07-31-2013 12:34 AM

Why not just use any old PC laptop or netbook or even a tablet with an internet only subscription? Thats portable anywhere you have an ethernet or wifi network connection and can use headphones or external speakers as needed.
Perfect if you are listening at home not driving around.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 07-31-2013 05:47 AM

Diogenes wrote: Doesn't that getting up that early get old????? I am not eager to rise as early as I used to either. When you start at 5am boy is that a longggggggggg day.

It's (getting up early) a holdover from my Air Force days. When I worked 3-1 and 11-7, it would really mess me up. So, I find it best to be able to copy mp3 files off an archive and replay the shows - as I do now. I listen-in while I'm at my desk working instead of waking-up and then nodding off all night long. So, I'm hoping that Art's new show on Sirius will allow for archives and retrieval similar to what AM Coast 2 Coast currently has - I'd pay for that option.......

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”