Sirius Radio Talk

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 07-31-2013 06:01 AM

If you have a unlimited data plan on your smart phone. And a car radio with Bluetooth. You can stream your Internet account through your phone to the car radio. This works great in my car but unfortunately I only have two gigs of data a month.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-31-2013 08:44 AM

JimWest wrote: Why not just use any old PC laptop or netbook or even a tablet with an internet only subscription? Thats portable anywhere you have an ethernet or wifi network connection and can use headphones or external speakers as needed.
Perfect if you are listening at home not driving around.
yup alot of people don't have an old laptop lying around, so for $100 (less than a sirius box) you can do internet streaming and have a real computer type thing on your bigscreen.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 07-31-2013 07:12 PM

I've been reading the comment sections on sites regarding Art's return. Everybody is literally over the moon with excitement.

The Sirius staff are going to be very busy from now until September 16th. :)
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

DeathValleyScotty
Pirate

Post by DeathValleyScotty » 07-31-2013 10:23 PM

What an interesting development this is. Timing is everything.

First off, given a little research, I find that Sirius is dumping Clear Channel as of August 31. This would include C2C. I didn't find an announcement, but I found discussion here.

Secondly, I have Dish Network for TV. Included in the package is Sirius music channels. I need to research to see if Dish and/or Direct would include the Indie channel in their lineup.

My wife has XM in the car. I WILL find the Indie channel.

Just a couple points to ponder.
None of us is as smart as ALL of us...

Lore
Pirate

Post by Lore » 08-01-2013 12:51 AM

Don't know about Art's new show but I stream Dr. Laura from Sirius radio for the same price as I pay to streamlink Coast.

This is off her website and I can stream and listen or download and listen to the archives.

I would guess something similar will happen with Art's show.

This is regular streamlink through the computer which I have to do anyway to pick up any radio show because of the mountains.

I have always listened to Coast and Dr. Laura when she was on terrestrial radio on streamlink, ever since it was started when it was free.

Kind of convenient, I can listen at my leisure.

I think it is about $6.99 a month. Hope they keep it at that amount for Art.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-01-2013 11:20 AM

Lore wrote: Don't know about Art's new show but I stream Dr. Laura from Sirius radio for the same price as I pay to streamlink Coast.
Kind of convenient, I can listen at my leisure.

I think it is about .99 a month. Hope they keep it at that amount for Art.
I would also hope some service such as this would be available at Art's site.

At the same time, though, I can't imagine SiriusXM would be all too thrilled about having that option available, as it would no doubt eat into what would otherwise be their revenue stream.

Guess a lot remains to be seen. So far as other features and goodies for visitors (paying or not), I'll be interested in seeing how Art's site develops as time goes on.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-01-2013 11:25 AM

Riddick wrote: I would also hope some service such as this would be available at Art's site.

At the same time, though, I can't imagine SiriusXM would be all too thrilled about having that option available, as it would no doubt eat into what would otherwise be their revenue stream.

Guess a lot remains to be seen. So far as other features and goodies for visitors (paying or not), I'll be interested in seeing how Art's site develops as time goes on.

Agreed, imo this will be exclusive to Sirius.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

JimWest
Pirate

Post by JimWest » 08-01-2013 02:41 PM

Yesterday at Keith Rowland's new facebook page for the artbell.com website he answered the question and confirmed that there will be no alternative way to download archived new Art Bell shows, only thru a Sirius/XM subscription. That is expected since Sirius wouldn't get many subscriptions for Art Bell otherwise.

Richie Wagner: For those of us without Sirius... will there be a subscriber section online to download the shows?
Yesterday at 3:43am

Art Bell.com: Only through the SiriusXm Internet Radio player, which is the same price as the Satellite radio service, $14.49 a month. However you may want to consider the Internet option as it has many more channels than a radio. It is a better deal. You can try it out for 30 days for FREE, using this link: http://siriusxm.com/artbelloffer They will have on-demand archives of past programs. Not sure how big the archive will be. Ask me any questions you might have. Wait until the program is ready to start if you want. Get the first 30 days of Art for FREE.
Yesterday at 3:55am

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-01-2013 02:52 PM

here is the free Sirius Canada trial page, but you only get 14 days... http://www.siriusxm.ca/freetrial/

JimWest
Pirate

Post by JimWest » 08-01-2013 03:01 PM

I see the Canada version of Sirius/XM has much lower priced plans for internet only compared to USA:
http://shop.xmradio.ca/index.cfm?id=109 ... SKUID=1292
https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/a ... /a_id/3676

Sirius/XM Canada internet radio only plans:
3-Month - ($7.99/month) = $23.97
1-Year Plan - ($7.32/month) = $87.89

Sirius/XM USA internet radio only plans:
per month $14.49
1year prepay: $159.39 (equivalent to $13.3/month)

There are also fees/taxes added for the total price (about $1/month extra)

Though many have reported you may get lower priced offers if you call Sirius/XM to cancel due to high prices just before your term or trial will expire, as low as 6months for $25 for example (less than $5/month)

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-01-2013 03:05 PM

Wow, "good salesmanship" there. "FREE! FREE! FREE!" Be sure to put it in all-caps. Sheesh. I guess the hype-machine's about to get real annoying.

I'll try it for the first month. It also sucks that you've got to call to cancel.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-01-2013 03:06 PM

I'm not referring to you, Jim. Thanks for posting the info.

JimWest
Pirate

Post by JimWest » 08-01-2013 03:08 PM

If one doesn't have an existing small laptop/netbook PC, supported smartphone or other device (like ipod or ipad),

For internet-only, one could get a cheap refurbished android tablet (such as a Amazon Kindle Fire 7" from ebay for $80) that has a supported free available app for Sirius/XM.
Then with a wireless internet router at home, you could carry it anywhere in or around your home and listen - the tablet has internal speakers like a portable radio and also a headphone jack.

Another option for portable reception around the home I've looked into is getting a good FM transmitter like the C. Crane FM Transmitter 2 model ($55 at amazon) that can connect to a PC's audio output and send it on an unused FM channel that you can pick up on a portable FM radio thruout the home, with a 50feet+ range and more with a boosted power adjustment on the transmitter.

I've looked at Bluetooth headphones and speaker devices too, but they appear to have too limited a range for all around the home use
Last edited by JimWest on 08-01-2013 03:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-01-2013 03:08 PM

Though many have reported you may get lower priced offers if you call Sirius/XM to cancel due to high prices just before your term or trial will expire, as low as 6months for for example (less than /month):crazyjump
Right, to cancel it's not going to be as easy as just calling and asking, it's going to be, "Oh no, is there anything we can do to keep you?" Etc. etc.

JimWest
Pirate

Post by JimWest » 08-01-2013 03:14 PM

Also be aware to sign up for the free trial, you have to give Sirius/XM a valid credit or debit card number so they can automatically start charging it at the full regular price per month as soon as the trial period ends.
If you sign up without a trial, you could have them not use a credit or debit card and invoice/bill you for each negotiated price period and then it won't automatically renew at the high full price until you call and renegotiate each time (6months to one year) but they charge an extra $2/month to send an invoice that way.

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”