Sirius Radio Talk

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

fos
Pirate

Post by fos » 08-01-2013 03:30 PM

Great news that Art is going to be back on the air. Though I like GN, he has never been anywhere close to Art's equal. If Art has only a fraction of the creativity he had in the 90s he will again be the master of the night.

The only drawback is the SiriusXM subscription. I will try it for a month or so via the internet to see how it goes. I hope that it will meet my expectations.

I have 9/16 marked in my calendar!

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-01-2013 04:21 PM

JimWest wrote: Also be aware to sign up for the free trial, you have to give Sirius/XM a valid credit or debit card number so they can automatically start charging it at the full regular price per month as soon as the trial period ends.
If you sign up without a trial, you could have them not use a credit or debit card and invoice/bill you for each negotiated price period and then it won't automatically renew at the high full price until you call and renegotiate each time (6months to one year) but they charge an extra /month to send an invoice that way.

Yes and I have seen some people saying they will just keep signing up for free trials then canceling, I think this is not going to be possible since you will have to give full billing info each time.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 08-01-2013 06:06 PM

Lore wrote: Don't know about Art's new show but I stream Dr. Laura from Sirius radio for the same price as I pay to streamlink Coast.

This is off her website and I can stream and listen or download and listen to the archives.

I would guess something similar will happen with Art's show.

This is regular streamlink through the computer which I have to do anyway to pick up any radio show because of the mountains.

I have always listened to Coast and Dr. Laura when she was on terrestrial radio on streamlink, ever since it was started when it was free.

Kind of convenient, I can listen at my leisure.

I think it is about .99 a month. Hope they keep it at that amount for Art.

This is because some shows are also carried on terrestrial radio. Those shows can be found elsewhere. Some shows like Arts are exclusive to Sirius.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Lore
Pirate

Post by Lore » 08-02-2013 02:13 AM

Dr. Laura is exclusive to Sirius. It would have killed her show if there hadn't been inexpensive streaming for her following when she left terrestrial radio.

I suspect this will happen with Art's show as well, once everyone does the free trial and drops off after the trial period.

They are hoping enough people will sign up and keep paying the higher fee. If that doesn't happen I suspect the price will drop.

As for Art himself, he always thought streaming should be free, because it started out free. I am sure he is on board with paying a fee for streamlink now it is just the way business is done these days. The question becomes how much is fair?

I use Sennheiser wireless headphones for listening to any material on the computer from streamlink for Dr. Laura and Coast to audiobooks and Handle on the Law (funny law show)

If your house isn't huge they work well enough though I can't go too far outside away from the house, but good enough to sit on the porch and enjoy the day or night and move about the house. There are any number of wireless headphones on the market.

In the case of Dr. Laura I can download the shows from the archives to a mobile device and carry that around with me when I want to listen on the go.

Again we can hope that when there are Dark Matters archives to listen to they will be available to download.

I probably will do the trial, but $14.99 a month is too much for me even if it is Art.
Last edited by Lore on 08-02-2013 02:24 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Sam.I'm.Not
Pirate

Post by Sam.I'm.Not » 08-02-2013 01:23 PM

BenSlain wrote: If you have a unlimited data plan on your smart phone. And a car radio with Bluetooth. You can stream your Internet account through your phone to the car radio. This works great in my car but unfortunately I only have two gigs of data a month.

You don't even need Bluetooth a cable works. I use my phone (witch has unlimited data) in both my car and at home with speakers for radio all the time. I an not wait to here Art once more Uncensored Unscreened calls... nothing more to say.

Not Sam
Life is short drink good coffee.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-02-2013 06:58 PM

Hopefully someone will provide it on usenet. I hate XM
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

alleyrulez
Pirate

Post by alleyrulez » 08-02-2013 07:21 PM

voguy wrote: Hopefully someone will provide it on usenet. I hate XM

that is usually how I get the Stern show, but for Art, I think I am actually going to start paying. I have the radio already, just need to reactivate it...

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 08-02-2013 07:23 PM

Sam.I'm.Not wrote: You don't even need Bluetooth a cable works. I use my phone (witch has unlimited data) in both my car and at home with speakers for radio all the time. I an not wait to here Art once more Uncensored Unscreened calls... nothing more to say.

Not Sam

True! Good point

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 08-21-2013 02:26 PM

I went to my fire kindle hd. put in Sirius internet radio. got Sirius internet App for free....product description.
with the Sirius xm IR, APP you can listen to what you want when you want. In addition to live streaming, the SXM-IRA now allows you to personalize many of your favorite SMX music, comedy channels with MYSXM-so you hear more of what you want and less of what you don't. BAD PART.....You must have a subscription. but the app is free. kindle fires are pretty cheep. Got mine at Amazone for 200. don't like used stuff for computers. been there did that.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 09-14-2013 12:41 PM

Hello Pirates.
Art coming back to radio! Way cool !It made me think of y’all. Unfortunately, I am still dyslexic and communicate poorly through text but I’m looking forward to reading your responses to Arts new program.

Take care my only online buddies.
:)
All hear few listen

pattiwacki
Pirate

Post by pattiwacki » 09-15-2013 10:43 AM

I'm using my Kindle Fire too, I'm only going to do the free trial. Got it downloaded and listening now
Viva noche, viva vida!

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-16-2013 02:36 PM

I don't know if they are just out to lunch or what, but I got this canned response to an email trying to figure out my username...
Thank you for writing to SIRIUSXM Canada regarding your issue.

At this time SIRIUS Canada does not offer a stand-alone SIRIUS Internet
Radio subscription. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have
brought you.
Huh? I just signed up for it guys lol.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-16-2013 03:23 PM

Ok, signed up for it and I think I got it working.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 09-16-2013 06:47 PM

Sam.I'm.Not wrote: You don't even need Bluetooth a cable works. I use my phone (witch has unlimited data) in both my car and at home with speakers for radio all the time. I an not wait to here Art once more Uncensored Unscreened calls... nothing more to say.

Not Sam

Hey Sam. I went and got unlimited data plan. I made a fifty mile test run while streaming from my phone and it worked and sounded great!!

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-16-2013 06:50 PM

We have the radio and all set up and now I'm going to get the streaming via IPhone or something.
A man's character is his fate

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”