They sure didn't see this one coming...

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

They sure didn't see this one coming...

Post by kbot » 06-11-2014 09:20 AM

Never was a fan of Eric Cantor..... seems like whenever I saw Boehner, there was Cantor right behind him.

Cantor's Swift Rise in GOP Ends in Stunning Fall

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor's once-meteoric rise came to an abrupt end Tuesday when the Virginia Republican lost in a shocking defeat that breathes new life into the same conservative lawmakers he had spent much of the past year trying to tame.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor delivers a concession speech in Richmond, Va., on Tuesday. Associated Press

The defeat of Mr. Cantor, the first-ever majority leader to lose in a primary, is all the more shocking because the 51-year-old who was widely expected to be the next speaker of the House was so closely identified with the tea-party movement that eventually toppled him.

The Virginian gained national stature as a public foil to President Barack Obama, convincing every Republican in the House to oppose the new president's economic stimulus bill in 2009. He helped found the "Young Guns" movement to usher a younger generation of Republicans into Congress, and he was widely viewed as a bridge between the GOP's establishment and tea-party wings.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/cantors- ... 1402487015
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 06-11-2014 10:58 AM

Well I could be wrong but it seems to me the Immigration stance may have taken him down.

It seems like more and more folks are insisting a serious closing of our borders accompany any Immigration bill as it really will be an Amnesty bill - again.
A man's character is his fate

juslilolme
Pirate

Post by juslilolme » 06-11-2014 06:05 PM

Immigration didn’t doom Eric Cantor, it was Global Warming.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-11-2014 06:58 PM

Diogenes wrote: Well I could be wrong but it seems to me the Immigration stance may have taken him down.

It seems like more and more folks are insisting a serious closing of our borders accompany any Immigration bill as it really will be an Amnesty bill - again.

From what I've heard, his constituency was upset because he seemed to be more focused on his national status than in representing the folks back home.

He always struck me as kinds weasley.....
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-11-2014 06:59 PM

juslilolme wrote: Immigration didn’t doom Eric Cantor, it was Global Warming.

:D Whatever it was, he was out of touch with his own people back home.......

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 06-11-2014 11:47 PM

Most news networks don't show it but the Mexico border is starting to look like a third world nation. On the US side. Immigration is going to take a lot of people down. These pols don't want to pay attention . There all worried about the Hispanic votes from future democrats.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-12-2014 06:41 AM

Hear ya. It's been an issue for a number of years now, and I think back to the story that was running a few years back about a rancher who got so upset with migrants crossing the border and just running through his ranch that he decided that he had to do something because the federal government wasn't going to help - and the media pilloried this guy.

I agree with the GOP on this but the Democrats are so far outta touch on this issue - it's sad

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 06-12-2014 09:28 AM

BenSlain wrote: Most news networks don't show it but the Mexico border is starting to look like a third world nation. On the US side. Immigration is going to take a lot of people down. These pols don't want to pay attention . There all worried about the Hispanic votes from future democrats.

You know I've been purposely ignoring this on the news because I find it so shocking and blatant that it's almost surreal to me.

Nothing good will come of this but then again this President truly believes the "Dreamers" are the hope of this nation.

Very troubling.
A man's character is his fate

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-12-2014 10:59 AM

I have been paying attention to the news on all the illegals - many young teens and children even down to the age of 5 have been pouring into this nation from central and south America. ILLEGALS all, including women with children. And many without any other relatives in the USA.

IT is Obama's fault, and the countries have told these illegals - the Dream Act bit - amnesty and freebies.

BUT its not just Obama's Dream Act that is so disconcerting that is being touted -- its the illegals and the rise of diseases that is a major problem. Worst of all its spreading all across the USA. There are so many reports about the disease situation showing up in far more than just the places where these are being housed. Some have traveled far further within the USA.

Scabies, Measles, chicken pox, and more - outbreaks of which are showing up in many areas ..and the only link - illegals.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-12-2014 11:07 AM

Watch it CK. You'll be labeled a hater........ ;)

juslilolme
Pirate

Post by juslilolme » 06-12-2014 04:44 PM

Establishment GOP types are desperate to put through amnesty even though their constituents loath it. Cantor stopped representing his district years ago and now he has all the time he needs to retire to Tijuana and represent whoever/whatever he wants.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-13-2014 09:53 AM

kbot -- no I don't hate -- you know that - but I am very concerned about the disease situation that is popping up in a lot of places and the lies by gov't that says they checked when no they didn't.

And we both know where the ill will show up - and not just the real US citizens - and who is going to pay for that?

...and its not stopping - they are not stopping them at the borders.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-13-2014 10:58 AM

juslilolme wrote: Establishment GOP types are desperate to put through amnesty even though their constituents loath it. Cantor stopped representing his district years ago and now he has all the time he needs to retire to Tijuana and represent whoever/whatever he wants.

And Hillary just said the other day that it's time to take a look at the immigration problem...... Both sides are messed-up.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-13-2014 11:10 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote: kbot -- no I don't hate -- you know that - but I am very concerned about the disease situation that is popping up in a lot of places and the lies by gov't that says they checked when no they didn't.

And we both know where the ill will show up - and not just the real US citizens - and who is going to pay for that?

...and its not stopping - they are not stopping them at the borders.

I know CK - just busting your chops, because, sometimes, people who express legitimate concerns are labeled as haters.

You bring-up some good points on the healthcare issue. The people will need healthcare - who's responsible? Chances are - you'll be (as will I and every other taxpayer.....)

With each passing month I'm becoming ever more firmly convinced that there is a concerted effort to trash the economy of this country.

The other day I was watching some congressional hearings on the student loan crisis. Student loan debt now exceeds mortgage debt, amounting to over a trillion dollars. The government has a plan (that should scare the crap outta anyone) to get the banks to re-write these loans and lower student debt payments.

You just KNOW that the banks aren't going to be happy and will figure out a way to recoup what they see as losses - meaning that everyone else's fees and interest rates will go up.......

Meanwhile the door is wide open, and as others have noted, the flood of illegals isn't coming from the US/ Canadian border. But this administration has no plan to stop the flood. And, what if the fathers of these kids can't be found here? Then what? Who's responsibility are they then? Even then, will the father (or mother) who is here, want them to live with them?

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-16-2014 09:49 AM

From what I've read about the "amnesty" bit - is for prior to 2007 types. IE: children brought here - gone to school or currently in school - (yes speak English) and giving them the chance to become citizens through naturalization (IE passing test to become a citizen.)

But hearing so many different stories about it - would have to find it to read it.

---
As for all these illegals - they have been mislead - "Dream Act" bit. Some of the children (pre-teens even as young as 4-5 yrs old) without any adults - were told freebies - or their parents were - then kids get citizenship and parents and relatives would come - like the "place holder babies" type thing. Most have no relatives in USA. Women and children also - with no relatives here but told as long as they have these young children (some only a fes months old) they would be given all these freebies - dream act style.

Some have distant relatives or family friends and have gone to those states - bringing their diseases with them. Reports of outbreaks are all over the USA and yes all connected to well yes illegals.

Return to “Politics and Government 2014 - Present”