Supreme Court Rebuffs Obama's Contraception Coverage

Moderator: Super Moderators

juslilolme
Pirate

Post by juslilolme » 07-03-2014 07:39 AM

Barack Hussein Obama - the first president of this great nation to bring the ghetto to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-03-2014 10:42 AM

juslilolme wrote: Barack Hussein Obama - the first president of this great nation to bring the ghetto to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
Well, so much for home improvement, eh? Still, the WH pastries are world class. That's gotta count for something.

As to work to be done on deterioration outside of the kitchen: paint CAN cover a multitude of sins, but this is no job for just a touch-up contractor - How about Habitat for Humanity? Where's Jimmy Carter when you need him!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 07-03-2014 11:11 AM

Wow...... I forgot about Jimmy Carter. Obama actually BEAT Carter as the worst president. That says something....
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-03-2014 04:38 PM

kbot wrote: Wow...... I forgot about Jimmy Carter. Obama actually BEAT Carter as the worst president. That says something....
I wonder if this means O inherits his "History's Greatest Monster" moniker?

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 07-04-2014 08:31 AM

The thing I like about Carter is that he and his wife have continued work with Habitat for Humanity. In this, I see (perhaps wrongly, some might argue) a certain genuineness about the Carters.........

For some reason, I can't see Obama and Michelle doing that sorta thing. For one thing - I think Michelle would wallop Obama with the hammer...... :D She's got a mean streak about her that makes for scarey picutres.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Riddick
Pirate

Politics In A Nutshell

Post by Riddick » 07-04-2014 01:02 PM

kbot wrote: The thing I like about Carter is that he and his wife have continued work with Habitat for Humanity. In this, I see (perhaps wrongly, some might argue) a certain genuineness about the Carters.........
Would you believe I saw much the same thing when I was a HS sophmore back in '76? Even so, mentioning it in a poli sci class during the fall campaign brought on a rebuke from a fellow student who couldn't at all imagine the dry-roasted 'Mr. Peanut' from Plains GA succeeding as president -

"Too much of a softie," he said. "Politics is all about the power, and how to leverage it to your own benefit."

My jaw just about dropped to the floor when he said that - I was brought up to believe it was all about the public service: Nowhere near so naive 16 years later, the stark naked disingenuousness and self-serving egocentrism of a certain Arkansas ex-governor AND his spouse pretty much put THAT idealistically nutty notion to rest...

NOW after 22 years of Bubba, Dubya and O, while I'm only more convinced our system's NOT all it's cracked up to be the good news is cracking wise about politics, I CAN still get into that... Hey, if you can't beat 'em, mock 'em!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 07-04-2014 02:38 PM

I can't think of any president of the past fifty years that has embodied "public service" as Carter has. Granted, he presided over an economic failure - but, who would have done much better with the oil crisis?

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-05-2014 04:31 PM

kbot wrote: I can't think of any president of the past fifty years that has embodied "public service" as Carter has. Granted, he presided over an economic failure - but, who would have done much better with the oil crisis?
Remember how in the 1980 campaign, Carter caught heck for having driven the deficit all the way up to $50 billion - Funny, ainit? All said and done, Reagan was ONE HELLUVA debt driver himself -

But hey, economic ills plus public outcry over cuts (and re-election concerns) DO have a way of queering even the best of austerity budget deals eh!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 07-06-2014 08:22 AM

Well, look all of he new spending that we've created since then. We now have unfunded wars, which is a wholly new concept. It used to be that, before 9-11, the president had to get authorization for war from the Congress, but, they were so cowed by the rhetoric of "patriotism" that they didn't want to appear UN-patriotic, so they just handed the whole ball of wax over to the executive branch.

Then we've just had an explosion of social programs that, ironically, started growing quickly in the 1990s without let-up because of the Regan administration's amnesty program.

And then, let's not forget the government's black-budget. Besides the untold billions that the government has just "lost" by sending truckloads of cash to Afghanistan and Iraq, we have agencies within the government developing programs and weapons systems with funs that just aren't being counted........

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-06-2014 10:29 AM

Actually congress approval for Iraq was done.

BUT - that was some time ago yes...

----
Am still hearing far too many people who claim that places like Hobby Lobby and others no longer provide birth control -- JUST because that is what was hyped in the media. WRONG WRONG WRONG! They provide birth control (pills/patches, etc. - some 16 diff types) - its the "abortion" types they do not have to supply. You know AFTER copulation. Then we hear well what about for rape victims - those are given out at hospitals when the rape victim goes in to report the rape.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 07-06-2014 01:23 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Actually congress approval for Iraq was done.

----
Am still hearing far too many people who claim that places like Hobby Lobby and others no longer provide birth control -- JUST because that is what was hyped in the media. WRONG WRONG WRONG! They provide birth control (pills/patches, etc. - some 16 diff types) - its the "abortion" types they do not have to supply. You know AFTER copulation. Then we hear well what about for rape victims - those are given out at hospitals when the rape victim goes in to report the rape.

CK,

I find it shocking as well how these people who are totally vested in the war on women, have no clue as to the basic facts of this decision. No one is keeping anyone from birth control.

Such nonsense.
A man's character is his fate

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 07-06-2014 01:47 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Actually congress approval for Iraq was done.

----

You're right - Iraq was a different matter. Still the oversight isn't there.

As far as Hobby Lobby - the company provided virtually ALL forms of birth control medications available. What the owners of the company found offensive, and didn't want to provide, are the two forms of the morning after pill. It's a form of abortion: something that they don't believe in, and something that they don't believe they should fund.

Again, you're correct - these meds are available by other means. For the example that you provided to work, if someone doesn't go to the ER, then, in order for this to "work", they'd have to already HAVE the meds at home, ready to take. In other words, the patient would have to by-pass the ER altogether.

Makes me wonder why anyone would want to stockpile this sort of med in a "just-in-case" scenario.

The thing here with the Far Left MSM, it's another case of "you tell a lie often enough, and eventually, it'll stick".

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 07-06-2014 01:50 PM

Diogenes wrote: CK,

I find it shocking as well how these people who are totally vested in the war on women, have no clue as to the basic facts of this decision. No one is keeping anyone from birth control.

Such nonsense.

There's a LOT of money at stake here. The pharmaceutical companies and Planned Parenthood make TONS of money off this.

This isn't about "access". There has always been access - even down to the high school, and now they're pushing for junior high school access.

This is about protecting and expanding turf, and getting well-paid in the process.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-06-2014 03:33 PM

kbot wrote: Well, look all of he new spending that we've created since then. We now have unfunded wars, which is a wholly new concept.
Yep, all war expense on plastic is a pretty recent invention. For the most before Iraq II, targeted revenue increases played a role, but in '03 taking axes to taxes was still all the rage - 'Course the invasion was sold IN part on the idea we'd go in, win, and be out before you know it. As it was, Plan B for a long stay didn't include reversing tax policy...

So with all the new spending (a Dem fave, aside of wars) and no new taxes (that's more a GOP thang), now future generations are in the unenviable position of funding America's ongoing expenses TODAY in no small way - And why IS that, exactly...? If you ask me, I'd say a lot of it has to do with the fact that the yet-to-be-born can't vote.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 07-07-2014 11:17 AM

Riddick wrote: So with all the new spending (a Dem fave, aside of wars) and no new taxes (that's more a GOP thang), now future generations are in the unenviable position of funding America's ongoing expenses TODAY in no small way - And why IS that, exactly...? If you ask me, I'd say a lot of it has to do with the fact that the yet-to-be-born can't vote.

I've already seen younger people than I (and there are certainly a LOT of 'em!!!!) expressing displeasure with the amount of debt they're being asked to shoulder. "Asked" isn't the correct word - it's being dumped on them by people who will be dead in a few years, but these kids will be left with the mess, and an unforgiving international community.

Our government is not being a good steward of this country and its resources, and IMHO these people are acting criminally and should be held accountable. That, and their arrogance just amazes me.....

Return to “Politics and Government 2014 - Present”