Michelle O & The Unlunchables

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-04-2015 10:40 AM

SquidInk wrote: Everything changes, Geronimo. Everything.

OK, but anarchy shouldn't be the norm either.....

Interesting short article:

What is Immigration Law?

Immigration law refers to the rules established by the federal government for determining who is allowed to enter the country, and for how long. It also governs the naturalization process for those who desire to become U.S. citizens. Finally, when foreign nationals enter without permission, overstay their visit, or otherwise lose their legal status, immigration law controls how the detention and removal proceedings are carried out.

The U.S. Constitution grants Congress the exclusive right to legislate in the area of immigration. Most of the relevant laws, including the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), are found in Title 8 of the United States Code. State governments are prohibited from enacting immigration laws. Despite this, a handful of states recently passed laws requiring local police to investigate the immigration status of suspected illegal aliens, creating some controversy.

Three federal agencies are charged with administering and enforcing immigration laws. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) investigates those who break the law, and prosecutes offenders. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) handles applications for legal immigration. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is responsible for keeping the borders secure. All three agencies are part of the Department of Homeland Security.

Generally speaking, people from foreign countries obtain permission to come to the United States through a visa approval process. Visas are available for two purposes. Immigrant visas are for those who want to stay in this country and become employed here. These visas are limited by country-specific quotas. Non-immigrant visas are for tourists, students, and business people who are here temporarily.

Citizens of certain developed countries deemed politically and economically stable by the U.S. government are allowed to visit for up to 90 days without obtaining a visa. Known as the visa waiver program, this expedited system is primarily used by people coming here on vacation. It does not allow foreign citizens to work, go to school, or apply for permanent status. The visa waiver program is currently available to citizens of 37 countries.

Permanent Residency and Citizenship

Immigrating to the United States requires individuals to submit a number of detailed applications to the federal government. Further complicating matters, immigration regulations change often, making it difficult for anyone without formal training to stay current on the law. Even among attorneys, immigration is considered a specialized practice area not suited for general practitioners. Self-representation is not recommended.

With the help of an experienced attorney, those who qualify can successfully obtain permanent residency (a green card), and eventual citizenship. While the law provides a path to citizenship for workers and investors, the most common grounds for granting legal status is family-based immigration. This process begins when a permanent resident or U.S. citizen files a petition on behalf of a family member in a foreign country.

U.S. citizens can sponsor family members who qualify as “immediate relatives.” These include spouses, parents of a citizen 21 years or older, unmarried children under age 21, and children adopted before turning 16. The government does not limit the number of immediate relative visas approved each year. This means there is no waiting period, other than the time required to process the visa petition.

By contrast, petitions filed by citizens or permanent residents on behalf of more distant relatives are subject to annual quotas. The amount of time these family members must wait to come to the United States will depend on their preference category. Unmarried children age 21 or older are given the most preference. Brothers and sisters of adult citizens are given the least. For those in the lower preference categories, it can take years to obtain a visa.

Immigration is a diverse area of the law, and attorneys tend to specialize in particular types of cases. For example, an immigration attorney may limit his or her practice to employment-based petitions, foreign adoptions, or deportation defense. Immigrants and their families should take it upon themselves to gain a preliminary understanding of the nature of their case, before going about the important task of finding an attorney.

http://www.hg.org/immigration-law.html

I think that all anyone is asking is that the laws already on the books be enforced. Should be a simple enough request to fulfill.......
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 09-05-2015 01:28 PM

kbot wrote: OK, but anarchy shouldn't be the norm either.....

I think that all anyone is asking is that the laws already on the books be enforced. Should be a simple enough request to fulfill.......
Interestingly, it's the invading force (should they be successful) who get to make that decision.

The US is now going to pay the price for at least one hundred years of really horrible decisions. We've made a habit of showing that we are not exceptional. We're not special flowers sent by God to show the idiots in the other nations how to do it right. We've had great moments -- it's undeniable, and we have contributed our share of shoulders for future generations to stand on -- as we stand, now, on the shoulders of giants past.

We've also been responsible for a whole lot of unnecessary death and mayhem in the world. We can stick our heads back in the sand, if that's what we want to do, but what's done is done.

Most of us were content to "vote", and claim we were "doing our part" to uphold "democracy". We patted ourselves on the back as we sent other people to supposedly do the dirty work -- even though we sensed a major problem with that method ages ago. We used "the vote" as a proxy arm to cast the stones of judgement around the world. Nobody wanted to question any of it because wages were high, and retirement plans were getting fat, and the lawn needed mowing. We certainly couldn't question the "sacred right (rite?)" of the vote (how convenient for the System). So, time after time we were given two bogus choices, and nobody said a word -- just marched like good little Eloi when the trumpets sounded, and were thrilled to earn their social badges-- the "I voted" sticker. We spat venom at those who questioned the whole charade or, even worse, refused to participate. We said the trouble we could vaguely make out, looming on the horizon, was all their fault.

We failed to tear down the system when it was still possible to do so (as Thomas Jefferson advised us to do), because they showed us apple pies and Chevrolets on TV, and said it was the Commies , the Anarchists, and "the terrorists" who wanted to change things (even as GM was being indicted & convicted of conspiracy, monopoly, etc [1], and the highway lobby was purchasing congress [2]). There were people who actually tried to stop the madness; who did more than drop a ballot. Not surprisingly, many of them came from the WW2 generation. Of course very few of us have ever heard of these events, such as the Battle of Athens in 1946 [3].

We failed to hear the words of a few inspired leaders, as they tried to warn us it was all going off the rails. Typically, they were labelled conspiracy kooks (Ross Perot), or just shot dead (JFK).

We failed to prioritize correctly, mistakenly putting business interests above all else, and equating success in business with some kind of superiority. We shouted that our nation should be run like a business. We got our wish. Businesses are not sentimental, they do not long for some bygone era. Businesses want cheap labor (immigrants, legal or otherwise, will do), cheap materials, zero liability, and ever increasing profits. Full stop. Despite our "family values" rhetoric, the values we have most energetically embraced in our personal lives, and as a collection of people are not those of a family, or a church (hence, those value systems are in ruins) but instead we have fully embraced the values of business/economics.

We made this, in a million different ways. Now we have to live in it, and find a respectable way forward. I think we should do so with a little dignity; without stomping our feet on the floor and pounding our fists on our desks, demanding something "back" that we never even had in the first place.

If there is still an option for a happy ending, our best chance at realizing it is probably to begin acting, once again, like people who actually deserve something good.

-

1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_M ... _.241_fine

2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-I8GDklsN4

3 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... %281946%29
Last edited by SquidInk on 09-05-2015 09:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-06-2015 06:13 AM

Well, that is "a" way of looking at this issue. I don't that this is the way in which immigrants/ refugees look at the issue. Whether we're talking about people moving here from points south, or in Europe where they're being overrun by refugees from North Africa or the Middle East, the fact is people are escaping repressive government and plain-ol crazy people ruling the roosts. Whether we're talking about drug cartels or Islamic fanatics, the world's going crazy. There are quasi-government's using water as a weapon artificially created shortages forcing people to move, and nuts jobs covering the faces with tribal rags beheading intellectuals raping young girls, destroying ancient cities all the while screaming allahu akbar. Not sure how much of this is America's fault since Muhammad lived about 900 years before the founding of the US and his wackiest adherents wants the world to go back to the Stone Age
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 09-06-2015 02:09 PM

I really don't like living in the "Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda" type of world, I see it all around me these days and the pure chaos it creates. I have to ask my self if I want to become part of the solution, or be just an addition to the problem. Now this has been tricky for me, as I am a born conspiracy nut, and I love puzzles, figuring out actions and possible consequences. Blame , hate,fear, sense of entitlement, greed, tends to make me crazy, then I'm no help to anyone, if I'm just as nuts as they are.

You see the world and the humans on it ,are never going to live up to my to my expectations, those expectations become emotional baggage that's really heavy to carry around, I can NOT change the world, but I can change me, only power I have. If I hang on to all the resentments, I'm the one crapping on my own life, then I probably will want a medal for my martyrdom, my beliefs, I'm no Joan of Ark ya know. I have a friend who always tells me to wear the world and the people in it like a "loose garment" or it will strangle you!

:)
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-06-2015 05:30 PM

Doka wrote: If I hang on to all the resentments, I'm the one crapping on my own life, then I probably will want a medal for my martyrdom, my beliefs, I'm no Joan of Ark ya know. I have a friend who always tells me to wear the world and the people in it like a "loose garment" or it will strangle you!

Words to live by if there ever were any..........

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-06-2015 05:30 PM

kbot wrote: Words to live by if there ever were any..........

Riddick
Pirate

Under Threat In Washington, First Lady's Food Legacy May Live On Elsewhere

Post by Riddick » 12-18-2016 02:18 PM

Nutrition advocates believe that, regardless of regulatory changes, private sector partnerships forged under Michelle Obama's time at PHA are likely to endure. FULL STORY
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

GREAT AGAIN: Schools Bring Back Chocolate Milk

Post by Riddick » 12-08-2018 02:20 AM

When former first lady Michelle Obama’s strict limitations on school lunches went into effect, students across the country dumped the unappetizing offerings in the garbage, a debacle that cost taxpayers billions in wasted food and lunchroom sales.

Students, parents, administrators and lunch staff pleaded with the USDA to roll back the restrictions – specific limits on everything from total calories to fat, sugar, sodium, and whole grain content – and the government created various waivers to allow schools to serve students food they will actually eat.

Now, the Trump administration is scrapping the unnecessary bureaucracy altogether by making many of the changes permanent. The move is based on the obvious reality that healthy lunches don’t benefit kids if they won’t eat them.

The School Nutrition Association reports nearly 2 million fewer kids are eating school lunch each day since Obama-inspired rules took effect.

The recent changes mean school cafeterias can now serve low-fat chocolate milk without Uncle Sam’s permission.

FULL STORY
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Raggedyann
Pirate

Re: Michelle O & The Unlunchables

Post by Raggedyann » 12-08-2018 08:46 PM

Bad, bad Michelle! Such a sin trying to encourage healthy eating for kids.

How about the big, fat, orange elephant in the room? No pun intended. I see there is no conversation regarding his mafia, thug behaviour. The noose is tightening and it's so much fun to watch. :crazyjump
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 12-09-2018 11:56 AM

The noose is tightening and it's so much fun to watch. 
It is the same noose, that is tightening on your neck, when Trump is gone. Enjoy.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 12-09-2018 05:41 PM

Doka wrote: 12-09-2018 11:56 AM
The noose is tightening and it's so much fun to watch. 
It is the same noose, that is tightening on your neck, when Trump is gone. Enjoy.
:lolchimp:
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 12-10-2018 12:03 PM

I just got a nice Cost of Living increase on my Social Security Benifits. What did you get?
KARMA RULES

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 12-12-2018 04:07 PM

Doka wrote: 12-10-2018 12:03 PM I just got a nice Cost of Living increase on my Social Security Benifits. What did you get?
U.S. billionaires just got a huge wad of money in the form of the tax break. How much of a raise did you just get... $20?

Don't bother giving me the big spiel about the economy being so much better as a result of the tax breaks for the rich. The economy was at the same level of improvement under Obama. The rich got the tax breaks as soon as Trump got in and they would not have had enough time to improve the economy when Trump started his bragging nonsense. It was already well under way before he took office.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 12-13-2018 12:29 AM

I have a bridge to sell you, since you believe the BS. :D

Wishing you Peace and Prosperity.
KARMA RULES

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 12-13-2018 10:38 PM

Doka wrote: 12-13-2018 12:29 AM I have a bridge to sell you, since you believe the BS. :D

Wishing you Peace and Prosperity.
Oh right, the Trumpies believe in "alternate facts". Here are some real facts for you buttercup.

The Trump jobs era really is different

In terms of job creation, if nothing else, Donald Trump seems quite similar to his predecessor.

In Barack Obama’s last 16 months in office, the number of jobs in the US increased by 2.4%. In the first 16 months of Trump’s administration, jobs rose by 2.1%, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The strong labor market under Obama turned into a strong labor market under Trump as healthcare and education continued to boom.

When you look closer, a lot has changed for certain industries.

Under Trump, the situation for certain mining and manufacturing industries has greatly improved. Work in the category “Support activities for mining”—which includes jobs exploring mining sites—grew by almost 28% under Trump, compared to losses of about 23% in the last 16 months of Obama.

It is not clear how much Trump’s policies have led to the increase in manufacturing and for miners’ brighter prospects. Jobs in these industries are cyclical, and also grew at times under Obama. Yet it seems likely that in the short-term, Trump’s emphasis on deregulation has sparked some growth, though the long-term consequences for the environment and US economy could be quite bad.

(Note: Smaller industries tend to have greater fluctuations in the bureau’s statistics, so are more likely to reach the following list.)

https://qz.com/1347200/the-jobs-created ... der-obama/

Trump wasn't in office yet when the Labor Department collected the data used in January 2017 jobs report, so for the sake of comparison it makes sense to exclude the first month of the year. But in the remaining 11 monthly jobs reports, employers added 1.84 million jobs, according to the December jobs report released Friday. That compares to 2.09 million jobs added in Obama's last 11 months in office.

Even if you just look at full-year numbers, the 2.06 million jobs added in 2017 falls short of the 2.24 million jobs created in 2016, Obama's last full year in office.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/01/05/news/e ... index.html

Return to “Politics and Government 2014 - Present”