Michelle O & The Unlunchables

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Michelle O & The Unlunchables

Post by Riddick » 09-05-2014 04:41 PM

Unpopular Meal Deal Dealt Another Major Hit
NY schools drop Michelle O's lunch program

Two Central New York school districts are the latest to ditch the National School Lunch Program, which was revamped in 2010 under the guidance of First Lady Michelle Obama in an effort to fight childhood obesity.

Strict limits on calories, fat, sugar, carbohydrates, sodium and other aspects of the school lunch imposed by the federal government on schools participating in the free and reduced lunch program has not only increased cafeteria costs, they’ve resulted in a drastic drop in the number of participating students.

Seems in the school lunch war, the First Lady is no Eliot Ness. FULL STORY

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-05-2014 05:53 PM

I would be interested in knowing if those schools where these crappy lunches are being forced upon students and paid for by us, if there is still a Physical Education program in existence.
A man's character is his fate

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-05-2014 07:29 PM

The story I heard on the news was that a lot of this food was being tossed in the trash.

Nice.......
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-05-2014 08:50 PM

and now the second largest school district in IL -- also dropping that program...ok RECESS and real running games, and PE every day!!

------
NOW if only all the schools would get rid of Common Core and go back to basics....

wow... we might have smart and healthy kids again

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 12-13-2014 03:17 PM

School bribes kids to eat Michelle O lunches
Give away iTunes gift cards, bicycles and iPods

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 12-13-2014 07:22 PM

What is so wrong with making healthy food available in schools? If kids are hungry they will eat what is available. Parents who want their kids to eat crap should pack them a junk food lunch to take with them and let the intelligent parents have the healthy lunches for their kids.
:huhsmile:
Last edited by Raggedyann on 12-13-2014 07:30 PM, edited 1 time in total.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 12-13-2014 08:34 PM

I think something gets lost between the" healthy" and what actually gets served.That some of the school servers, need to make it look a bit better to the eye. I've looked at some the pictures the kids have taken , a lot of them didn't look that great and kids are pretty visual, as well as "picky". :cool:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-14-2014 02:15 PM

Growing children need more than just an "apple" and some stuff seen in some of those school pictures posted.

Yes, obesity is a problem with far too many of today's kids sitting around playing games on the computers, texting and -- not out running or exercising. BUT - recess? PE? where are they in today's schools? Oh kids are not allowed to play running games or form teams to do any type of game that might discriminate against any other child. And where PE existed every day in grade school, now - maybe twice a week if that. (?)

Doka - yes seen many photographs. Schools are losing monies as kids dump meals into the trash.

Raggedyann - have you SEEN what Michelle's lunch looks like?

They showed a lunch that the Obama girls get at their private school. (One photo showed a lunch tray that would have made 2 almost 3 lunch trays at other schools, and had REAL bread, real food variety and was not all veggie this, that and a single fruit and something to drink.)

Riddick
Pirate

True & To The Point Story

Post by Riddick » 12-14-2014 05:05 PM

Early in my parochial school days, I regularly took hot lunch. That ended after a teacher demanded I eat the beets on my plate or else. I did and subsequently threw up.

In brown bagging it exclusively thereon? Not only did I like the healthy choices my mom made, not once did I feel the need to vomit.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 12-14-2014 05:14 PM

There's a school here that didn't like the lunch the kid brought to school and they call child welfare on the kids parents. Ham and cheese on white. A applesauce pack. And two cookies pulse a Hershey kiss. Apparently they did not like the ham or processed cheese not to mention the cookies and the little Hershey kiss.

Kids mother is a lawyer. Grandpa is a family court judge.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 12-14-2014 06:00 PM

BenSlain wrote: There's a school here that didn't like the lunch the kid brought to school and they call child welfare on the kids parents. Ham and cheese on white. A applesauce pack. And two cookies pulse a Hershey kiss. Apparently they did not like the ham or processed cheese not to mention the cookies and the little Hershey kiss.

Kids mother is a lawyer. Grandpa is a family court judge.
The standard bag lunch my mom packed had fruit (apple, orange or banana), veggies (carrot/celery sticks, radishes), a cookie, and generally egg or tuna salad, or sometimes summer sausage on white.

Parochial school never said boo. Not like public school today, they'd have scaffold and rope ready eh! With my mom a homemaker and my grampa a farmer, had the law got involved we'd have been SOL...

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 12-14-2014 08:44 PM

Riddick wrote: The standard bag lunch my mom packed had fruit (apple, orange or banana), veggies (carrot/celery sticks, radishes), a cookie, and generally egg or tuna salad, or sometimes summer sausage on white.

Sounds almost identical to what I used to make for my kids lunches. I also used to make them Lyoner sausage or Bavarian meatloaf on Rye bread with mayo or mustard.

I had a hot lunch at school in ye ol England and as my Mom was a lousy cook, I loved those lunches.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 12-15-2014 01:08 AM

Raggedyann wrote: I had a hot lunch at school in ye ol England and as my Mom was a lousy cook, I loved those lunches.
I'd miss hot lunch most when it was pizza! Pals'd sneak me some on seconds when teachers weren't watching.

In any case, I bet it was 2 decades before I'd have a taste for beets after the "incident" - To try them wasn't enough, I had to eat them ALL as if all she truly cared about WAS that I'd puke!!

Mighta thot like of my mom, had she packed nothing more appetizing than leaf and berry sandwiches.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 12-15-2014 01:28 AM

I don't like beets. Had a lot of them as a kid. They turned everything else on the plate red and this didn't sit well with me. Especially beet juice running into Mom's lumpy mashed spuds. Yuk!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 12-15-2014 06:56 AM

Something that's being lost in the translation is the concept of a "healthy" lunch. Let me explain (or digress..... depending on your point of view). One day I was sitting with my cardiologist, and he asked me what I ate for meals and I explained what I ate, and virtually every sample I offered was met with "That's right, but not for you....". And the one that got me was the proverbial apple.

Depending on your personal circumstance, apples (as much as I love them , and still eat them daily, can be a bad thing, because of the high sugar content, which can be problematic for some people to break down, or, if you eat a lot of carbs and starches (my big vice) can also be problematic because the starches convert in sugars which can tip someone who is pre-diabetic over the edge.

A "one-size-its-all"/ "healthy" lunch menu isn't the answer. Parental involvement needs a part as well.....
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Return to “Politics and Government 2014 - Present”