Sad Parallels

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Sad Parallels

Post by kbot » 01-30-2017 05:10 PM

Over the weekend a story broke that on the Holocaust Memorial, a decision was made to sent via Twitter, entries made for the ship's manifest for the SS St Louis. In 1939, the steamship was en-route from Hamburg to Havana. On board were over 90 Jews trying to escape what they could see were hard times heading their way. As the ship approached Cuba, it was clear that the country would not let the ship dock. Pleas to the White House and State Dept initially were ignored and finally refused.

While people (rightfully) blame the current administration in over reaching with their latest immigration fiasco, people also need to remember that the Democrats did far worse.......

Snippet:

On May 13, 1939, the German transatlantic liner St. Louis sailed from Hamburg, Germany, for Havana, Cuba. On the voyage were 937 passengers. Almost all were Jews fleeing from the Third Reich. Most were German citizens, some were from eastern Europe, and a few were officially "stateless."
The majority of the Jewish passengers had applied for US visas, and had planned to stay in Cuba only until they could enter the United States. But by the time the St. Louis sailed, there were signs that political conditions in Cuba might keep the passengers from landing there. The US State Department in Washington, the US consulate in Havana, some Jewish organizations, and refugee agencies were all aware of the situation. The passengers themselves were not informed; most were compelled to return to Europe.

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.ph ... d=10005267

Snippet:

St. Louis Manifest ‏@Stl_Manifest Jan 27

My name is Joachim Hirsch. The US turned me away at the border in 1939. I was murdered in Auschwitz

My name is Fritz Zweigenthal. The US turned me away at the border in 1939. I was murdered in France

My name is Max Wolff. The US turned me away at the border in 1939. I was murdered in Auschwitz

My name is Abraham Wolf. The US turned me away at the border in 1939. I was murdered in Theresienstadt

My name is Flora Wilmersdörfer. The US turned me away at the border in 1939. I was murdered in Auschwitz

My name is Siegfried Wilmersdörfer. The US turned me away at the border in 1939. I was murdered in Belgium

My name is Regina Blumenstein. The US turned me away at the border in 1939. I was murdered in Auschwitz

https://twitter.com/stl_manifest
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Return to “Politics and Government 2014 - Present”