The Latest Divisive Political Issue? Poor Spelling

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

The Latest Divisive Political Issue? Poor Spelling

Post by Riddick » 02-14-2017 02:54 AM

Skirmishes over misspellings are driving polarized Americans even further apart. FULL STORY
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Re: The Latest Divisive Political Issue? Poor Spelling

Post by kbot » 02-14-2017 05:26 AM

From the article:

In the 2016 election, a wide gap in presidential preferences emerged between those with and without a college degree. College graduates backed Clinton by a 9-point margin (52%-43%), while those without a college degree backed Trump 52%-44%. This is by far the widest gap in support among college graduates and non-college graduates in exit polls dating back to 1980. For example, in 2012, there was hardly any difference between the two groups: College graduates backed Obama over Romney by 50%-48%, and those without a college degree also supported Obama 51%-47%.

It’s impossible to say how much sensitivity around education level plays into how charged misspelling has become for either side.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm not sure how valid "college education" is as an indicator. I'm certain we've all run across those with a college education that can't perform simple math equations or read for that matter. Professional sports is rife with examples of kids who were passed through simply because they excelled at sports and graduated with a degree but were functionally illiterate. Even so, chances are that simply going to college guarantees that one would be exposed to liberal professors more frequently than conservative professors
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 02-14-2017 12:34 PM

You are assuming that they are American and speak and write English, not an easy language at best. I will even go so far as to say most Protesters (Rioters) are not even legal citizens.

Spelling at best , is tricky, I consider it a "gift" one I don't have and struggle with.

140 student languages in suburban Georgia school district

“We are hearing a lot of conversation right now, some of it extreme, about how residents from originally outside our country should be treated,” Green wrote. “We have 102,000 students here. They come from more than 180 countries, and they speak 140 languages. We value them; we love them and we respect what their presence here says about the goodness and generosity of America – our diversity is our strength.”

The statement, issued Jan. 30, comes after two teachers were removed from their posts at Cross Keys High School for allegedly making disparaging remarks against illegal immigrant students.

Both teachers were removed from their classrooms on Nov. 10 as district officials launched investigations into claims they allegedly made about illegal immigrants in the wake of Donald Trump’s historic election win on Nov. 8, the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

http://eagnews.org/140-student-language ... -district/
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 02-15-2017 05:08 AM

We've had centuries of people coming to this country with an inability to read or write in English. Looking at old census schedules online will show this to be true as the census takers routinely asked these two questions. Even those who came here from English-speaking countries are shown on census returns as having issues with reading and writing. The 1940 census asked what a person's first spoken language was - to my surprise, my Mom, who was born here in the 1920s, had Polish as her first language as her father and paternal grandparents all came from Poland.

She, along with the rest of her family all learned to read, speak and write English without the government burden of funding ESL courses. Where I work, we just found out about some new regulations requiring us to provide medical reports in a patient's primary language. And people want to know why healthcare costs are skyrocketing......... Sometimes it's not a issue of the physician speaking a foreign language as much as having the transcription system up to the level necessary that will allow of foreign alphabets
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Return to “Politics and Government 2014 - Present”