Senator John McCain dies at 81

Moderator: Super Moderators

racehorse
Pirate

Senator John McCain dies at 81

Post by racehorse » 08-25-2018 08:35 PM

:( :( :(

Senator John McCain was a true American Hero and a Statesman.
Sen. John McCain, independent voice of the GOP establishment, dies at 81

"With the Senator when he passed were his wife Cindy and their family," McCain's office said in a statement.

by Elizabeth Chuck / Aug.25.2018 / 7:22 PM ET / Updated 7:28 PM ET

John McCain, who shed a playboy image in his youth to become a fighter pilot, revered prisoner of war and both an independent voice in the Republican Party and its 2008 presidential nominee, died on Saturday, little more than a year after he was told he had brain cancer. He was 81.

McCain’s office said in a statement "Senator John Sidney McCain III died at 4:28 p.m. on August 25, 2018." He announced on July 19, 2017, that he had been diagnosed with a glioblastoma, an aggressive type of brain tumor. Earlier this week his family announced he was discontinuing treatment.

"With the Senator when he passed were his wife Cindy and their family. At his death, he had served the United States of America faithfully for sixty years," McCain's office said in the statement.

In his 36 years in Congress, McCain became one of the country's most respected and influential politicians, challenging his fellow lawmakers to reach across the aisle for the good of the country, and often sparring with reporters with a biting if self-deprecating wit.

On a variety of issues — torture, immigration, campaign finance, the Iraq War — McCain was often known as the moral center of the Senate and of the Republican Party.

Last year, in his last act of defiance, McCain returned to the Capitol less than a week after his cancer was diagnosed to cast his vote on the Republican effort to repeal the Affordable Care Act — the biggest legislative achievement of President Barack Obama, the man who defeated him in the 2008 election.

McCain first voted in favor of debating the bill, giving his fellow Republicans hope that their long-sought goal of repealing Obamacare was in sight. McCain then dashed those hopes by casting the decisive vote against repeal.

"Why don’t we try the old way of legislating in the Senate, the way our rules and customs encourage us to act?" McCain said. "Merely preventing your political opponents from doing what they want isn’t the most inspiring work."

But in recent months, the man who had been a mainstay on Capitol Hill for more than three decades was noticeably absent.

He missed a White House ceremony on Dec. 12, 2017, in which President Donald Trump signed the annual defense bill into law — one of McCain's signature achievements.

A statement issued the following day by the senator's office said he was at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Maryland receiving treatment for the "normal side effects of his ongoing cancer therapy" and looked forward to returning to work as soon as possible.

McCain's life was punctuated by wild highs and lows, from the horrific conditions he endured for nearly 2,000 days as a prisoner of war to subsequent professional successes that brought him to the forefront of American politics.

Over the course of his career he rallied against pork-barrel spending and went against his own party's president, George W. Bush, on strategy for the Iraq war. He earned a reputation as a party maverick by advocating campaign finance reform, lending his name to the bipartisan McCain-Feingold Act of 2002, and supporting overhauling the nation's immigration system over the years.

But the pinnacle of his political career came in 2008, when he clinched the Republican nomination for president, only to lose to Obama amid the global financial meltdown and dragged down by Bush's low approval ratings. His contentious choice for a running mate, Sarah Palin, the governor of Alaska at the time, was also believed to have contributed to the loss, and is still seen by some as a tarnish on his reputation.

But long before then, McCain was a Navy brat who had little interest in being studious.

John Sidney McCain III was born on Aug. 29, 1936, to a prominent naval family steeped in patriotism. Both his father and grandfather were four-star admirals, with his father, John McCain Jr., advancing to commander in chief of Pacific forces during the Vietnam War.

While McCain followed in his family's military footsteps, he did so with his own flair: When he graduated from the Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1958, he was ranked 894th of 899 graduates.

In a speech to midshipmen at his alma mater in October 2017, McCain joked about his abysmal academic performance.

"My superiors didn’t hold me in very high esteem in those days," he said. "To be honest, I wasn’t too thrilled to be here back then, and I was as relieved to graduate — fifth from the bottom of my class — as the Naval Academy was to see me go."

After graduation, McCain volunteered for combat duty in the Vietnam War and, as a lieutenant commander, got orders to ship out in 1967. He narrowly escaped death in July of that year, when, while preparing for a routine bombing mission, an explosion on the aircraft carrier USS Forrestal engulfed his plane in flames, killing 134 men on board.

Only three months later, on Oct. 26, 1967, McCain's plane was shot down over North Vietnam. Both of his arms and his knee were broken, and McCain was knocked unconscious and taken as a prisoner of war.

That began a five-and-a-half-year nightmare inside a prison where Vietnamese soldiers, upon learning that McCain was the son of an admiral, set out to use him for propaganda purposes. They tortured and beat him, but McCain refused an early release, denying communist North Vietnam a propaganda victory, and followed a code of conduct that POWs must be released in the order they were captured.

When the war ended in 1973, McCain finally returned to a hero's welcome.

In 2008, he spoke passionately about the patriotism he maintained while imprisoned in Hanoi.

"I fell in love with my country when I was a prisoner in someone else's," he said in accepting the Republican presidential nomination.

McCain was first elected to office in 1982, when he won a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives from Arizona. Four years later he was elected to the Senate, and he was re-elected five times.

He first ran for president in 2000, becoming the main GOP challenger to George W. Bush, who went on to win the nomination and the White House.

In October, he reflected on his life in an interview with GQ Magazine.

"I have had the most fortunate life of anybody you will ever talk to, and I have nothing but gratitude, gratitude and joy, because I've had the most fortunate life that anybody has ever had," he said. "So I spend my time in gratitude and work as hard as I can to get done what I can get done while I can."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/se ... 81-n790971
Attachments
Senator John McCain.jpg
Senator John McCain.jpg (96.89 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
racehorse

Raggedyann
Pirate

Re: Senator John McCain dies at 81

Post by Raggedyann » 08-26-2018 08:50 AM

The no response to this post is not surprising. Trump cultists live here. I bet before their big hero Trump insulted McCain, everybody here would have posted their thoughts and condolences. Trump could live to be 500 years old and he would never possess the class and courage of John McCain. Bone spurs were Trump's excuse to stay out of the military. Cowardice is more like it. It's a known fact that bullies are the biggest cowards.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-26-2018 04:51 PM

Raggedyann wrote: 08-26-2018 08:50 AM The no response to this post is not surprising. Trump cultists live here. I bet before their big hero Trump insulted McCain, everybody here would have posted their thoughts and condolences. Trump could live to be 500 years old and he would never possess the class and courage of John McCain. Bone spurs were Trump's excuse to stay out of the military. Cowardice is more like it. It's a known fact that bullies are the biggest cowards.

BULLY

Definition of bully
plural bullies
1 a : a blustering, browbeating person; especially : one who is habitually cruel, insulting, or threatening to others who are weaker, smaller, or in some way vulnerable

tormented by the neighborhood bully

b : pimp
2 : a hired ruffian
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bully

In my book, you have won the Grand Prize, for the person with the least "Self Awareness" I have ever come across.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-26-2018 06:41 PM

I Wish John McCain well on his, now new journey. No, I am not "Fan". Nor am I a fan, of War, Elected officials that rather destroy a Country, than to sit at the table to negotiate improvement. Mr. McCain was not known for his "Negitiations".

Living with integrity, no hate, or envy, apparently has become too "Hokey" for the New Worlder's, and the struggle to obtain any thing like it. But more than likely it is my downfall, expecting to find any thing close to my expectations in the "By it's very nature, the Corrupt World of Politics"
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 08-27-2018 01:24 PM

Read Sen. John McCain’s farewell message

AUGUST 27, 2018 AT 10:58 AM

UPDATED: AUGUST 27, 2018 AT 11:07 AM

PHOENIX — Before he died Saturday after yearlong battle with brain cancer, Arizona Sen. John McCain prepared a farewell statement.

The message was read during a news conference Monday by former campaign manager Rick Davis, who has been serving as a family spokesman.

Here is the complete text of the statement, as provided by McCain’s office:

“My fellow Americans, whom I have gratefully served for sixty years, and especially my fellow Arizonans,

“Thank you for the privilege of serving you and for the rewarding life that service in uniform and in public office has allowed me to lead. I have tried to serve our country honorably. I have made mistakes, but I hope my love for America will be weighed favorably against them.

“I have often observed that I am the luckiest person on earth. I feel that way even now as I prepare for the end of my life. I have loved my life, all of it. I have had experiences, adventures and friendships enough for ten satisfying lives, and I am so thankful. Like most people, I have regrets. But I would not trade a day of my life, in good or bad times, for the best day of anyone else’s.

“I owe that satisfaction to the love of my family. No man ever had a more loving wife or children he was prouder of than I am of mine. And I owe it to America. To be connected to America’s causes – liberty, equal justice, respect for the dignity of all people – brings happiness more sublime than life’s fleeting pleasures. Our identities and sense of worth are not circumscribed but enlarged by serving good causes bigger than ourselves.

“‘Fellow Americans’ – that association has meant more to me than any other. I lived and died a proud American. We are citizens of the world’s greatest republic, a nation of ideals, not blood and soil. We are blessed and are a blessing to humanity when we uphold and advance those ideals at home and in the world. We have helped liberate more people from tyranny and poverty than ever before in history. We have acquired great wealth and power in the process.

“We weaken our greatness when we confuse our patriotism with tribal rivalries that have sown resentment and hatred and violence in all the corners of the globe. We weaken it when we hide behind walls, rather than tear them down, when we doubt the power of our ideals, rather than trust them to be the great force for change they have always been.

“We are three-hundred-and-twenty-five million opinionated, vociferous individuals. We argue and compete and sometimes even vilify each other in our raucous public debates. But we have always had so much more in common with each other than in disagreement. If only we remember that and give each other the benefit of the presumption that we all love our country we will get through these challenging times. We will come through them stronger than before. We always do.

“Ten years ago, I had the privilege to concede defeat in the election for president. I want to end my farewell to you with the heartfelt faith in Americans that I felt so powerfully that evening. I feel it powerfully still.

“Do not despair of our present difficulties but believe always in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here. Americans never quit. We never surrender. We never hide from history. We make history.

“Farewell, fellow Americans. God bless you, and God bless America.”
http://ktar.com/story/2191178/read-sen- ... l-message/
racehorse

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 08-27-2018 06:27 PM

Doka wrote: 08-26-2018 04:51 PM
Raggedyann wrote: 08-26-2018 08:50 AM The no response to this post is not surprising. Trump cultists live here. I bet before their big hero Trump insulted McCain, everybody here would have posted their thoughts and condolences. Trump could live to be 500 years old and he would never possess the class and courage of John McCain. Bone spurs were Trump's excuse to stay out of the military. Cowardice is more like it. It's a known fact that bullies are the biggest cowards.

BULLY

Definition of bully
plural bullies
1 a : a blustering, browbeating person; especially : one who is habitually cruel, insulting, or threatening to others who are weaker, smaller, or in some way vulnerable

tormented by the neighborhood bully

b : pimp
2 : a hired ruffian
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bully

In my book, you have won the Grand Prize, for the person with the least "Self Awareness" I have ever come across.
If I say something negative about you, you rarely respond but by God when I say something negative about President Rump, the claws come out in full. This is what I call cultist behaviour. Get some help.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-27-2018 07:27 PM

Sad, but not unexpected passing. A fellow AF vet sent me an article about how his Hanoi Hilton jailer has a lot of respect for Senator McCain and the article had a number of pictures taken at a monument set-up for the senator in Hanoi where the Vietnamese people were leaving floral tributes and praying for him.

Sad irony........... Speaks volumes...........

RIP
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Riddick
Pirate

Levin Remembers The Life & Legacy Of Sen. John McCain

Post by Riddick » 08-28-2018 01:58 AM

LevinTV host Mark Levin began his radio show Monday evening remembering the life and career of Sen. John McCain. Levin saluted McCain’s heroism during his time serving in the United States military during the Vietnam War.

“He was a great patriot. He was a great military hero,” Levin said in saluting his service. “None of us … can really imagine what took place” during his time as a POW, he added.

Levin noted he has long had political disagreements with the Arizona senator on issues such as regulations, immigration, foreign policy, and Obamacare.

But he remembered the media’s horrific treatment of Sen. McCain when he ran for president in 2008 against then-Senator Barack Obama. “He lost to Barack Obama — overwhelmingly. 2008. Barack Obama had been in the Senate two years. John McCain, war hero, badly defeated. Smeared in the editorial pages of the New York Times. Smeared by the left,” Levin stated.

“But the fact is he was a patriot. The fact is he loved this country. The fact is he was pro-military. And that’s why conservatives like me respect what he did for the military and respect the life that he lived.” Levin added.

Mark also addressed all the blatantly exploitive and classless "reporting" of the congressman's passing:
There's almost more talk in the context of Senator McCain's death about Donald Trump than about Senator McCain. Endless attacks on Trump. Endless attacks on the Republican party. And on and on and on. Must we politicize everything?

For those who don't like Donald Trump and some of the Never Trumpers on radio and TV, wny don't you just give it a break? Give it a break for 24 hours, 48 hours, 72 hours? Just give it a break. If you hate the guy so much, why do you talk about him so much?

John McCain was a patriot. Talk about him. Talk about the things you liked about him, or some of the things you didn't like from a legislative perspective. Talk about that. Show respect and show respect for the family. You don't have to keep bringing up Trump.
https://soundcloud.com/conservativerevi ... ohn-mccain
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-28-2018 11:03 AM

I think that it would help if the president didn't interject himself in such a way as to make him the object of attention. Take the flag-lowering/ flag-raising/ flag-lowering escapade. Some have tried to argue that "Trump's not a politician....." like that actually MEANS something in this context. But, it doesn't. This is just plain common sense and something taught in school - at least during the time Trump was in school, so it should not even have been an issue. But, by making a false argument and then digging-in his heels, Trump just (un-necessarily) gave the country another WTF???? moment. Just listen to the permanent WH staffers - they've been through this before......
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-28-2018 12:54 PM

kbot wrote: 08-28-2018 11:03 AM I think that it would help if the president didn't interject himself in such a way as to make him the object of attention. Take the flag-lowering/ flag-raising/ flag-lowering escapade. Some have tried to argue that "Trump's not a politician....." like that actually MEANS something in this context. But, it doesn't. This is just plain common sense and something taught in school - at least during the time Trump was in school, so it should not even have been an issue. But, by making a false argument and then digging-in his heels, Trump just (un-necessarily) gave the country another WTF???? moment. Just listen to the permanent WH staffers - they've been through this before......

Ya mean "His Look good " is just too painful for you to bare. May be you should send him an E-mail and inform him, that "Appearences" are the measure of men and he is just not" doing it right", I' m sure he would appreciate your help. :D
KARMA RULES

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-28-2018 06:58 PM

His looks don't bother me - I'm no heartthrob, believe me. And I've seen plenty of disfigured patients over the years, but, honestly, if Trump for ONE DAY could restrain himself, and not make everything about him........

Riddick
Pirate

Fool's Gold

Post by Riddick » 08-28-2018 11:51 PM

I doubt the Establishment media could go a full hour without some unrestrained diatribe against Trump. If it's not about something he did or said, it's about what he didn't do or say. Hey, it's their sworn duty to denigrate The Donald! Just like it was the lefties' duty to smear the Republican presidential candidate in 2008, eh?!

Using McCain's death to trash Trump, how is this good behavior? Perhaps it's the kind of conduct 'Golden Age Of Journalism' proclaimer, 'Mr Midas Touch' himself, Jake Tapper believes in, but as for me, it's not the type of Gold Rush I support.
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-29-2018 12:50 AM

kbot wrote: 08-28-2018 06:58 PM His looks don't bother me - I'm no heartthrob, believe me. And I've seen plenty of disfigured patients over the years, but, honestly, if Trump for ONE DAY could restrain himself, and not make everything about him........

You are so wrong. For those of us that love our country and what freedoms we do have and would like to keep. HE IS OUR VOICE! He is one mere foibled human, standing in front of the masses that hate his guts and wish him dead, gone! The news, the TV, The Printed page, the Movie Stars, the Zombies, who only live to destroy. The Facebooks, the Googles and Twitters, that wish to cush this country and it's people like bugs so they fit into their dream of "Ruling the World" and silence us and put a plague of pain and hopelessness over the people that can only be described as "Truly Biblical" you think I exaggerate? That's your right, matters not one wit to me.

I agree that Trump is an unlikely hero , a lone voice, as you'll ever see, but never think it is Just About Him, anything he says is about what, we who have intuitive understanding of the reality that surrounds us. I guarentee you that there are no men that would stand with us as long and as diligent as Trump has, fighting a fight for the people and the country, making our country more prosperous, than it has been for decades. Yet, he has been so maligned , by those who need a whole lot of saving! If he quit today, I wouldn't blame him. Perhaps the "day of reckoning", will put us all out of our misery. For those that like living "The Old Testiment" way.

So Kbot, continue what ever you are doing. Putting "lip-stick" on Devils" is hard work, and you will never have a shortage of fresh material.

It takes charactor to survive .......and do it well.

Leva bolas.............
KARMA RULES

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 08-29-2018 09:43 AM

So true...
Attachments
40389413_2280239765402398_7111899628047433728_n.png
40389413_2280239765402398_7111899628047433728_n.png (129.42 KiB) Viewed 3066 times

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-29-2018 10:05 AM

Watch ya gonna when they turn on you? Your Next! You are not safe!
KARMA RULES

Return to “Politics and Government 2014 - Present”