Food

Discussions about food. Recipes, reviews, anything!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-02-2013 12:53 PM

I made my best-yet beef wellington for Mom's b-day dinner the other night. Worked for at least 6 hours straight on the whole production. It came out amazingly - the beef was cooked sous-vide first so it was rare for those blood-sucker-types and medium for us more sane people. It is damned hard to get the right cook on beef in this situation since it is en croute so you can't touch it. I recommend trying this if you are adventurous - it is one of the most amazing presentations you can do IMO.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-07-2013 11:13 PM

Pork Roast Chops en jus with Zucchini Feta Fritters.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-07-2013 11:56 PM

with fresh-roasted double espresso, spiced rum, maple sugar and organic raw vanilla beans, cold-infused for 2 weeks. A splosh of milk to make it extra evil. You really want this.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 12-08-2013 05:45 PM

I ate @ burger king earlier Fan...... (I had a big king meal LARGE)

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 12-08-2013 07:07 PM

Fan wrote: Image

with fresh-roasted double espresso, spiced rum, maple sugar and organic raw vanilla beans, cold-infused for 2 weeks. A splosh of milk to make it extra evil. You really want this.

Fantastic Fan!
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 12-08-2013 07:08 PM

Dude111 wrote: I ate @ burger king earlier Fan...... (I had a big king meal LARGE)

We have no fast food chains where I live except an A&W that's 25 miles away. There are times I would give my eye teeth for KFC, mashed potatoes, gravy and their yummy coleslaw.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-09-2013 01:05 PM

Raggedyann wrote: We have no fast food chains where I live except an A&W that's 25 miles away. There are times I would give my eye teeth for KFC, mashed potatoes, gravy and their yummy coleslaw.

yuck :)

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 12-09-2013 03:12 PM

Fan wrote: yuck :)

I know, it's sad.

I would rather have one of your dishes but there are still times that I crave the old fast food. :)

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-09-2013 03:29 PM

I eat fast food as well, but only good stuff. There is a great burger joint nearby where they grind their own chuck (in a glass booth so you can see how clean and well-done it is) and wood-fire the burgers. They have one with caramalized onions and brie that is unreal. Fast food does not have to be chemically-treated sawdust.

Places like KFC, MCD or anything like that I would not touch with a 100 foot pole personally. I used to eat it, and I understand why people keep going back, but it is really not food, it is pure junk. There is almost no food content in those places at all. There is also almost no quality control so god knows what you are actually eating.

It is pretty easy to make deep-friend chicken (use tempura batter - so good), and mashed taters are easy of course, and coleslaw is one of the easiest things to make if you have a food processor. You could probably make your own version faster than driving out there, and the taste will be obviously far greater at home.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 12-09-2013 03:57 PM

Fan wrote: I eat fast food as well, but only good stuff. There is a great burger joint nearby where they grind their own chuck (in a glass booth so you can see how clean and well-done it is) and wood-fire the burgers. They have one with caramalized onions and brie that is unreal. Fast food does not have to be chemically-treated sawdust.

Places like KFC, MCD or anything like that I would not touch with a 100 foot pole personally. I used to eat it, and I understand why people keep going back, but it is really not food, it is pure junk. There is almost no food content in those places at all. There is also almost no quality control so god knows what you are actually eating.

It is pretty easy to make deep-friend chicken (use tempura batter - so good), and mashed taters are easy of course, and coleslaw is one of the easiest things to make if you have a food processor. You could probably make your own version faster than driving out there, and the taste will be obviously far greater at home.

I couldn't agree more Fan. I have no choice but to cook good food at my own stove. I'm sure if I lived in the city, the attraction to the odd fast food meal would more than likely wear out . McDonald's food is awful and I never eat there.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-09-2013 04:19 PM

PS: if you google you can find clone recipes of all your fave fast-food items :)

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 12-09-2013 05:56 PM

Sometimes I have to get some Tony Packos just to say to my system, "I can clean you out!" :)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 12-09-2013 06:48 PM

Raggedyann wrote: We have no fast food chains where I live except an A&W that's 25 miles away. There are times I would give my eye teeth for KFC, mashed potatoes, gravy and their yummy coleslaw.
MMMMMMMMM i love KFC!!

No lumps in potatoes,yummy baked beans!

mmmmmmmmmmm

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 12-09-2013 06:53 PM

Fan wrote: PS: if you google you can find clone recipes of all your fave fast-food items :)

I have the KFC recipe but haven't yet tried it. As for burgers, according to my grandchildren, I am the bestest cooker in the world. :)

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-09-2013 08:47 PM

Here's a proper nutritional guide for you barnacle breathed pirates!

Last edited by SquidInk on 12-09-2013 08:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Return to “Food”