Food

Discussions about food. Recipes, reviews, anything!

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-10-2013 02:22 PM

Damn this thread is great. Now I'm hungry and I don't know for what!!!!!!

Fan, I'm impressed....... Did you go to school for this or just work at it on your own?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-10-2013 02:33 PM

kbot wrote: Damn this thread is great. Now I'm hungry and I don't know for what!!!!!!

Fan, I'm impressed....... Did you go to school for this or just work at it on your own?
What I went to school in I will never have a practical use for...

I am a firm believer that you can learn anything you want if you are motivated. There are plenty of books, and the 'net. I can't think of anything I could not teach myself. Skydiving maybe? It would be risky anyways :)

Experience trumps school every time.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 05-10-2013 02:39 PM

Fan wrote: is it easy? I'd have to say no. You can roast or bake or poach easier. It takes prep, but once it is in it is in for a while.

You cannot overcook anything. This is the big advantage, although there are many more advantages. It does not lose moisture while cooking, it is evenly cooked all the way through, it does not lose nutrition to water (everything is sealed together in a bag).

For me if I want easy I order a pizza or make a panini. I expect most meals to take 2 hours or so all told for cooking. I work from home, so I can do a lot of prep during my breaks :)

Fan,

You should do a cooking video just for us - I know I'm not the only one who would enjoy that.

Your creme brûlée looks FAB.

Thank you for this thread as it allows folks to come together on something benign and upon which we can all smile and enjoy - also the cat thread.
A man's character is his fate

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 05-10-2013 08:42 PM

Every time Fan post a picture I have to run to my cabinet and take a Lipitor .

I love to cook. I'm very good at it. Most of the time I cook for other people though. Very seldom do I eat the things people want me to cook for them. I am very good at cooking low or no fat dishes. Most people could not tell the difference.

I have found many substitute ingredients to cook with. It's also fun.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 05-10-2013 08:45 PM

Then again. I would probably kill three kittens and a puppy for those beef ribs in the first picture.:dali:
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-10-2013 08:48 PM

BenSlain wrote: Then again. I would probably kill three kittens and a puppy for those beef ribs in the first picture.:dali:
Why not just kill one cow?
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-10-2013 09:51 PM

BenSlain wrote: Every time Fan post a picture I have to run to my cabinet and take a Lipitor .

I love to cook. I'm very good at it. Most of the time I cook for other people though. Very seldom do I eat the things people want me to cook for them. I am very good at cooking low or no fat dishes. Most people could not tell the difference.

I have found many substitute ingredients to cook with. It's also fun.

what is lipitor?

I think it has something to do with fat? I use real butter (local stuff too), olive oil, coconut oil. Old fashioned cream, anything that has been in use for at least hundreds of years preferably. I trust history to tell me what is bad for you. I am actually really lucky that I don't have dietary restrictions, I have lots else wrong with me, but I can still eat what I want.

My gf is a health nut, so I am tempered in my intake. I actually take in less calories than a person my size should (but I am slothlike). One major reason is I drink no soft drinks, basically take in no refined sugars, no junk food. You can be healthy and still eat really well. If I think I am eating something fatty or unhealthy I compare it to a big mac. It never even comes close, plus my food has nutritional value.

I have lost 20 lbs in the last 6 months or so doing nothing but cooking my own food.

Ben... pics or ideas are welcome! I always need inspiration.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-10-2013 10:04 PM

I can recommend using lard in traditional ways, fwiw. It's a healthy fat source. Less saturated, more unsaturated, no trans. Especially good for baked things (crusts).

I am a meat eater, but having been raised on a farm, I am adamantly opposed to many large scale agricultural practices. Halal/kosher can help here. Also tends to be low(er) in sugar. Of course, anything can be scribbled on a label, but at least you 'feel' a little better about it.

Congrats on the 20.
Last edited by SquidInk on 05-10-2013 10:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-10-2013 10:26 PM

SquidInk wrote: I can recommend using lard in traditional ways, fwiw. It's a healthy fat source. Less saturated, more unsaturated, no trans. Especially good for baked things (crusts).

I am a meat eater, but having been raised on a farm, I am adamantly opposed to many large scale agricultural practices. Halal/kosher can help here. Also tends to be low(er) in sugar. Of course, anything can be scribbled on a label, but at least you 'feel' a little better about it.

Congrats on the 20.
we are lucky here too, quite a few reputable small organic livestock owners who use alternative processing facilities. Quebec is reasonably progressive in food matters, we like our ingredients, and we support our local farmers. Big farmer markets all over (I can be in farm country in 10 minutes drive), including 3 permanent ones operating all year within easy driving distance. All the farmer markets have a butcher or two and a fishmonger.

We don't buy anything with added sugar unless we simply have to have it for some strange reason. I sweeten with maple syrup often, or good honey, but we have learned not to crave sweet so much. When I do use sugar I use real stuff, NEVER a fake sweetener. The creme brulee was made with pure unrefined cane sugar for the hardened sugar on top.

I look to indian cooking for hints on what to eat. This civilization has been around so long, eating the same things I can eat nowadays. They use plenty of butter (especially ghee), and stay away from sugar. Lots of fiber in beans and peas.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-10-2013 10:29 PM

proportionally 20lbs on me is not a lot. But, I have not been watching calories at all. I eat bacon, butter, nom nom nom.

I have a feeling that I burn as many calories making what I eat as I get from eating them.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-10-2013 10:34 PM

k I looked up Lipitor.

As you say, you can always find alternatives to things, and this is often a fun exercise. I am trying to replace white flour completely in my bread, in fact wheat completely if possible. I have a combo of coconut flour, amaranth, hemp, almond, etc.. it still kind of sucks as bread, but I am working on it. It is something to work towards, which is fun.

I personally do not trust pharmaceuticals, it seems to me there is another way to treat your symptoms, although obviously I am not qualified to suggest anything... I just know that there are always alternate possibilities. I have pills I should take but have not had to for years now because of both changing what I was doing and how I thought about it.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-10-2013 10:57 PM

I am forever in a state of head scratch over the price of lamb. Lamb can be raised in the wort (cheapest) pastures, yet it is effectively unaffordable.

I like to keep the meat portions to around 6oz/plate when I cook, and to me 6oz of properly prepared lamb is like a holiday meal. Served with fennel, praised pairs http://www.food.com/recipe/pears-in-red ... uce-384048 ) [1]. We normally extinct a bottle of retsina while cooking, and have a little red wine with the meal.

I look to traditional Mediterranean cuisine when cooking, but I also like the more explicit Ayurvedic approach to food as medicine. I make several teas using turmeric, These are essentially medicinal, although in the US turmeric is considered a cooking 'spice'. When I began to approach my cooking from a medicinal angle, the food tasted better and in fact is much better. However, the ingredients are hard to find - I sometimes travel to six markets on a Saturday to collect all I need.

[1] I'm leaving that awseome Freudian slip in, but in should be braised pairs
Last edited by SquidInk on 05-10-2013 11:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-10-2013 11:07 PM

wow I would love some of your recipe-ideas as well, and some thoughts on this philosophy and how you plan your meals. One of the hardest things for me is constantly coming up with something to make that inspires me to go do it. It gets annoying sometimes and I find myself repeating things I would not have otherwise.

Lamb is a recent favourite of mine, especially a frenched rack on the BBQ. However, it is INSANELY expensive, more than a lobster dinner would be. It is a rare treat, but it is locally sourced. I can buy frozen NZ lamb for less and occasionally do for stews and curry, but it is not as good by a long shot.

I'm sorry vegetarians. I sympathize that you don't want to read about this, but we all make our choices, and if you pipe up maybe you can convince me to eat more veggies :)

Oh yes, I put turmeric in even the most unlikely places (I even have pure food grade turmeric supplements I pop every so often). I also love paprika... well most spices. I should take a picture of my spice rack. Heck, we all should. You can tell a lot about a chef by their spice collection.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-10-2013 11:24 PM

cheese quesedilla with refried beans, fresh salsa and olives.

(for the vegetarians)

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-10-2013 11:30 PM

This week I made an experimental pizza.

The crust was pre-made - because I am lazy, and yeah, unfortunately it contained wheat (whole wheat). Sugar is hard to avoid, wheat is nearly impossible. Anyway, there was no pizza sauce, I brushed olive oil on the crust, and warmed it. After it was nice and warm, I removed and plated it, then brushed more olive oil on it and covered it with nasturtium flowers and incredibly fresh mozzarella (the landlord makes it, with farm fresh ingredients). Serve! Also served roasted garlic bulbs along side, and of course red wine (screwcap).

You read it right - nasturtium. I used to make this with arugula and mutz, but nasturtium flowers are really peppery, high in flavinoids, have a sweet (nectar) compoent, and ... I forage for them in the neighborhood.

The next iteration will be to make a traditional gluten free phyllo dough, and roll the 'pizza' into something akin to a turkish borek ( http://yasmeen-healthnut.blogspot.com/2 ... -made.html ).

Nasturtium flowers: http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/nasturtiums.html

Roasted garlic bulbs: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/roasted_garlic/
Last edited by SquidInk on 05-10-2013 11:35 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Food”