Food

Discussions about food. Recipes, reviews, anything!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-01-2014 12:03 AM

Sam.I'm.Not wrote: That sounds really yummy. I just got some Ethiopian delivered today. Will be roasting again this weekend can't wait. Will roast it so the second crack happens just as cooling starts.

I would like to hear more about how you roast, and what you like. do you do any blends that really work well?
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-01-2014 12:04 AM

I don't think I posted this one, Poached Cod and Crab in Curried Coconut Milk with Cauliflower and ****ake Mushrooms.

The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-01-2014 12:04 AM

lol ****ake is censored

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-01-2014 02:06 AM

Fan wrote: dumplings I made for Hunan Dumplings, a recipe I found out was Montrealais (from Montreal). or this I ground my own pork loin, then marinated that overnight then filled and sealed the wontons. They are served with a spicy peanut sauce. Huge hit, although with the other things it was served with (from-scratch Hot and Sour Soup and General Tao's Chicken) it was just a good course :)

Well, these look incredible. Of course you ground your own loin! Who wouldn't?

My hat is off to you (again). :cool:
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-01-2014 02:11 AM

Fan wrote: Sous-vide bavette (flank) steak with mash and bacon.

Good grief... I am craving it through the screen. Drooling, and all.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-01-2014 03:31 AM

Oh God me too. That steak looks done to perfection.

My supper consisted of hunks of aged chedder cheese slapped between 2 slices of black Russian bread and a bowl of sweet grape tomatoes on the side. And a cake donut for dessert. Sometimes I eat porridge for supper. The joys of being single. :D
Last edited by Raggedyann on 05-01-2014 04:07 AM, edited 1 time in total.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-01-2014 10:24 AM

Raggedyann wrote: Oh God me too. That steak looks done to perfection.

My supper consisted of hunks of aged chedder cheese slapped between 2 slices of black Russian bread and a bowl of sweet grape tomatoes on the side. And a cake donut for dessert. Sometimes I eat porridge for supper. The joys of being single. :D

hey cheese and bread is good stuff! I like simple dinners too. I would skip the donut myself :)

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-01-2014 10:26 AM

SquidInk wrote: Well, these look incredible. Of course you ground your own loin! Who wouldn't?

My hat is off to you (again). :cool:

They look like Dutch hats actually now that I look at them. This was tray 1/2, took at least an hour to stuff and pinch all these. Pain in the butt, but worth it ;)

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-02-2014 03:46 AM

Fan wrote: I would skip the donut myself :)

:hiding:
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 05-02-2014 12:20 PM

Fan,

If I lived in your home I could easily weigh 300 pounds and I am serious.

Your food presentation is very classsy if you ask me.:D

]
A man's character is his fate

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-03-2014 12:16 AM

Diogenes wrote: Fan,

If I lived in your home I could easily weigh 300 pounds and I am serious.

Your food presentation is very classsy if you ask me.:D

]

I know you mean it as a compliment, as in you would eat too much (and thank you), but: 2 of us live here and we are both losing weight. My food is in fact quite low calorie. If you compare it to any normal fast food item (as a worst case argument, but what many people live on) I am well below calories, and with incomparable nutritional value over it. If you eat reasonable portions (which with good food is easy because you feel satisfied faster) you can eat as gourmet as you want without picking up too many calories.

Cooking for yourself is very empowering. I know every little bit of everything that goes into my mouth. I have picked over it, thrown out the parts that don't look amazing, seasoned it thoroughly, lovingly cradled it from initial chopping to mouth. I both created art and then destroyed art all as a functional part of the art itself.

I think of it very much as I do towards software and towards life. I want to control it as much as I can. The less that is in the hands of someone else the better. Who knows better than me what is good for me? And if you cook for people you love you put just as much care into their portion (in fact more, ever photo you see on these pages I did not eat.... I prepare my guest's plate and photograph that then put mine together rather more hastily so I can serve).

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-03-2014 12:17 AM

Maple Scallops in Bacon on Pureed Roasted Cauliflower with Cured Herbed Grilled Sardines

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 05-03-2014 03:34 PM

I absolutely meant that as a compliment because I don’t believe I have your discipline to eat the sensible portions.

The picture of the sardines is beautiful - they look so flavorful.

You know with your pictures and bent towards art with presentation and preparation, you should write a cooking book.

Have you ever entertained that?
A man's character is his fate

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-04-2014 08:26 PM

heh it would be fun I guess, but also a pretty big job. Maybe I will compile all the stuff I post here someday and write up the recipes for them.

I actually worked as a food photographer freelance for a while, but I was not very good at it. It is actually quite hard and annoying to get that perfect shot. Now I just snap a few and hope they look ok later.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-15-2014 10:07 PM

surf n' turf

Return to “Food”