Food

Discussions about food. Recipes, reviews, anything!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-15-2014 10:09 PM

Fan wrote: heh it would be fun I guess, but also a pretty big job. Maybe I will compile all the stuff I post here someday and write up the recipes for them.

I actually worked as a food photographer freelance for a while, but I was not very good at it. It is actually quite hard and annoying to get that perfect shot. Now I just snap a few and hope they look ok later.

uh and I was working on 35mm film. That makes a difference.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Sam.I'm.Not
Pirate

Post by Sam.I'm.Not » 07-13-2014 07:25 PM

Fan wrote: I would like to hear more about how you roast, and what you like. do you do any blends that really work well?

Sorry I some how missed this.

So I am a completely amateur roaster. I have 2 roaster currently my first roaster the iRoast 2 and my current go to roaster the Behmor 1600. I tend to like lighter roasts so the limitations of the Behmor don’t bother me too much. I love being able to roast a pond at a time. Since that is a weeks worth of coffee in our house. If I get the urge for a dark roast I will pull out the iRoast.

Personally I tend to like the African beans wet processed Ethiopian is my go to right now. However about a year ago I was on a big Java kick.

I tend to roast right up to the second crack and not past it.

I have Bonavita for every day brewing and a Aeropress for the weekends when I have time to make coffee one cup at a time.

I have never tried to make a blend that is a level I have not gotten to yet,

My new toy I have ordered but not gotten yet is a OE Lido Grinder. To date I have used a electric blurr grinder and it is the week link for me.

All of this said some tips on getting started with blends would be appreciated. Roasting is a hobby I have had for over 10 years when I started my wife thought it would be a faze now she has a hard time drinking coffee out. I enjoy learning and trying new things.

Not Sam
Life is short drink good coffee.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-14-2014 08:03 AM

Sam.I'm.Not wrote: Sorry I some how missed this.

So I am a completely amateur roaster. I have 2 roaster currently my first roaster the iRoast 2 and my current go to roaster the Behmor 1600. I tend to like lighter roasts so the limitations of the Behmor don’t bother me too much. I love being able to roast a pond at a time. Since that is a weeks worth of coffee in our house. If I get the urge for a dark roast I will pull out the iRoast.

Personally I tend to like the African beans wet processed Ethiopian is my go to right now. However about a year ago I was on a big Java kick.

I tend to roast right up to the second crack and not past it.

I have Bonavita for every day brewing and a Aeropress for the weekends when I have time to make coffee one cup at a time.

I have never tried to make a blend that is a level I have not gotten to yet,

My new toy I have ordered but not gotten yet is a OE Lido Grinder. To date I have used a electric blurr grinder and it is the week link for me.

All of this said some tips on getting started with blends would be appreciated. Roasting is a hobby I have had for over 10 years when I started my wife thought it would be a faze now she has a hard time drinking coffee out. I enjoy learning and trying new things.

Not Sam

I am very similar. The behmor is great, you don't need more until you are a successful roasting company. I have 2 and my (non-successful but fun) coffee business is run from them. I have never used the iroast but I have another air popper called the freshroast I believe which works fine. I actually use one of the old behmors in the garage for dark roasts if people order that.

I cycle coffee all the time, I have 10 or so varieties here and just roast what I feel like drinking. Today it is Kenyan, but been on a Guatemalan kick for a while.

Blends: find a distinctive coffee you like and mix it with brazilian. So, try 50% Brazil 50% Yergacheffe. Then, maybe you want more depth so you kick back Yergacheffe to 30% and add 20% Javanese. It is all about trying and tasting really. Most blends end up using brazilian as a base since it is usually not over powering. I'd be happy to discuss it more anytime. I have made 3 pretty successful blends that people like and re-order.

Enjoy your new grinder, it makes a hell of a difference.

No one I know can enjoy normal coffee after having fresh-roasted stuff. It is a no-brainer.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Sam.I'm.Not
Pirate

Post by Sam.I'm.Not » 08-31-2014 10:39 PM

Last week I tried Ugandan coffee for the first time. Medium roast very nice still earthy like most African coffees but a little brighter. Roasting my second batch as I type think I will try taking it a little litter this time.
Life is short drink good coffee.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-01-2014 02:09 PM

Sam.I'm.Not wrote: Last week I tried Ugandan coffee for the first time. Medium roast very nice still earthy like most African coffees but a little brighter. Roasting my second batch as I type think I will try taking it a little litter this time.

It definitely benefits from lighter roasts as it has lots of fruit taste that gets lost with darker roasts.

Return to “Food”